Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica 1) by…

Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica 1) (2003)

by Manda Scott

Series: Boudica (1)

The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie (Jakujin)
    Jakujin: I'd certainly associate Boudica with this one. Not a few of the auto-recs like Iggulden and Scarrow. Not much in common there. Light Bearer, also a tribal fight against Rome, a woman fighter, and my mind at least shelves them next to each other.
    Ravens of Avalon by Diana L. Paxson (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Same story, very different takes.

English (20)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (22)
Boudica N°1 ( )
  keithgordonvernon | Aug 19, 2017 |
Boudica N°1 ( )
  keithgordonvernon | May 1, 2017 |
It's that rare thing, ladies and gentleman: a five-star review! Read more on my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2016/06/05/boudica-dreaming-the-eagle-manda-scott/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Jun 5, 2016 |
I enjoyed this account of a young Boudica and her family, her tribe and her enemies. The writing in particular was lovely and brought the period to life. I liked the detailed description of everyday life, of traditions and spiritual beliefs. The parts dealing with the Roman invaders were especially well drawn up and, as far as I can tell, were accurately portrayed. A lot of research must have gone into the writing of this series, and while I do realize that this is not to everyone's taste, I like my historical fiction with a lot of history in it, so for me it was great!

SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
The historical heroine Boudica is one who has always fascinated me: warrior woman, leader of the legendary Eceni, fierce defender of her homeland, nemesis of the might of Rome. So it was with relish I picked up the first of a series of novels about Boudica by British author, Manda Scott. I was not disappointed.

Scott's realization of Boudica and her development as the leader of her people is a well-researched, richly detailed historical novel without the usual descent into romantic saccharine usually accompanying the work of many female historical fiction writers. This is a gritty portrayal, not unlike the work of Bernard Cornwell. There are, of course, artistic liberties which have been taken, but most of them done with sensitivity to the integrity of historical accuracy.

If you love realistic historical fiction I highly recommend plunging into Dreaming the Eagle, by Manda Scott. Very much look forward to reading the next in the series. ( )
1 vote fiverivers | May 17, 2014 |

Manda Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Robin and Elaine, with love.
The attack came in the hour before dawn.

In AD 60, Boudica, war leader of the Eceni, led her people in a final bloody revolt against the occupying armies of Rome. It was the culmination of nearly twenty years of resistance against an occupying force that sought to crush a vibrant, complex civilization and replace it with the laws, taxes and slavery of the Roman Empire. Gloriously imagined, BOUDICA: DREAMING THE EAGLE recreates the beginnings of a story so powerful its impact has survived through the ages, recounting the journey to adulthood of Breaca, who at twelve kills her first warrior, and her sensitive, skilful half-brother Ban, who carries with him a vision of the future that haunts his waking hours. In the company of a supreme storyteller, the reader is plunged into the unforgettable world of tribal Britain in the years before the Romans came: a twilight world of Dreamers and the magic of the gods; a world where horses and dogs and the landscape itself become characters in their own right; where warriors fight for honour as much as victory. Above all, it is a world of passion and courage and spectacular, heart-felt heroism pitched against overwhelming odds. Manda Scott's BOUDICA will tell the extraordinary, resounding story of Britain's first and greatest warrior queen, the woman who remains one of the great female icons - to read it is to discover our history, to learn about ourselves and our heritage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

This is the story of Boudica: the last defender of Celtic culture, the only woman openly to have led her warriors into battle, the only British warrior to stand against Imperial Rome and triumph. But it is also the story of the two men she loved most: the warrior Caradoc and her half-brother Ban.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,632,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible