You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your…

by Jen Sincero (Author)

Member:scoutlee
Title:You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
Authors:Jen Sincero (Author)
Info:Running Press (2013), Edition: 1, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read 2017, audiobook 2017, new author 2017, non-fiction, self-help, inspirational

You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero

I came across this title when Audible had a section on recommended audio books by authors and this one was recommended by Lisa Genova, an author I enjoy very much.

I decided to pre-read it before purchasing it for someone who is ready for some major changes in her life but is paralyzed by fear and doubt. It's a good book with some wise advice, with a style that I think would appeal to younger women (warning: there's some coarse language that may or may not offend). Although there’s a bit of new-agey “The Secret” type thinking in one chapter, it can be tossed aside while keeping the (mostly) good parts. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Gives self help!
  antoxnio | Jan 30, 2017 |
I'm not usually a big self-help person, but the title really drew me in. It's read by the author and is certainly not a push weird things down your throat kind of book. I'm going to attempt a few of her suggestions for life and see how they go. Her stories make you really want to believe that her methods work and I feel energized just by hearing them. I'd recommend this to new college grads or young professionals who are still working on finding the self and don't mind a few swear words along the way. Audio-Hoopla ( )
  aurorapaigem | Nov 23, 2016 |
The Good Stuff
Truly inspirational without being hokey or in your face religious
The opening paragraph hooked me in right away, because, not going to lie, I felt the same way about self-help books
Felt like she was talking right to me on many occasions, like the fact about running away from uncomfortable interactions
Feel pumped up and ready to change - actually went and downloaded the audio so I will listen to it when I need it and to pass it on to a friend who needs it
Wise practical advice that I think most of us could benefit from
Now this is the most important advice for me = do not waste your precious time givig one single crap about what anybody else thinks of you. AND. What other people think about you has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them."
There is a chapter called "Your brain is your bitch"
Highlights the importance of forgiveness and how it makes you healthier - um certain parts of our world REALLY need to understand this
Also emphasizes the need for compassion
I am awesome and will show the universe that I am awesome from now on - no more pity party and settling - I want more and I am going to go out and get it - first things first - my mission is to be out of debt!
This one I like because it was a problem I had with someone who didn't respect time - yup its my problem for being upset with her "You'll stop being one of those rude people who constantly wastes everyone else's."
Millions of mirrors chapter is fascinating and really makes you take stock of yourself
The Not So Good Stuff
Not sure how I feel about the "source energy" seems a little too spirtual for MY comfort zone (not yours my comfort zone) but I can get behind having a positive outlook and humour to be healthier and more open
Also a little leery on the money aspects and wanting may not be enough - but I will open my mind
Um I used a Kurt Cobain quote and its a good one
Hell writing this review with spell check telling me certain words, weren't actual words - man spell check has no creativity & going to be hard putting quotes in certain review sites as all of the naughty language (and that pisses me off - swear words are wonderful and effective when used properly)
Damn it really is me, not you, that has to change
I have Let it Go stuck in my head
Yeah some friends and family are going to have a hard time dealing with the changes I will be making - I am going to be looking out for me more and less making everyone else happy
Favorite Quotes/Pages

"What little I knew about the self-help/spiritual world I found to be unforgivably cheesy; it reeked of desperation, rah rah churchiness and unwanted hugs from unappealing strangers, And don't get me started on how grouchy I used to be about God."

"All this is to say it's not your fault that you're fucked up. It's your fault if you stay fucked up, but the foundation of your fuckedupedness is something that's been passed down through generations of your family, like a coat of arms or a killer cornbread recipe, or in my case, equating confrontation with heart failure."

"Wanting to be something else is a waste of the person you are." quote from Kurt Cobain

"We are all perfect in our own, magnificint, fucked-up ways. Laugh at yourself. Love yourself and others. Rejoice in the cosmic ridiculusness."

"You are not alone, screwing up is not your special skill. Get over it!"

4 Dewey's

Didn't have to review as I picked up the book because Jeremy Cammy recommended it and he rarely steers me wrong ( )
  mountie9 | Jun 6, 2016 |
(16) Oh God this was terrible. I read it for a work book-club for my women colleagues - full disclosure - because I would have never, ever, picked up said book on my own. Perhaps this might be helpful to a 20-something down on their luck, still living at home kind of person. Someone who parties a lot, sleeps late, makes poor decisions, works a dead-end job, is 20lbs overweight, and dates losers. It seems like that is the audience. For the rest of us -- umm, I don't think so.

While I am all for mindfulness and I think that is what she was getting at in many ways - I am totally against magical thinking. Her message of "manifesting" money is ridiculous! Again. I am all for positive thinking but encouraging people not to be realistic about their goals and aspirations and think only of their own desires is fairly bad advice in my book.

And the writing style was maybe funny for a few pages but after awhile grated. Honestly, despite the negativity I am manifesting when I say this - if I saw this author walking down the street I would be hard-pressed not to chop her in the throat.

So - I didn't like it but I am not a fan of the self-help genre so take it with a grain of salt. ( )
  jhowell | Apr 16, 2016 |
"Sincero relies on her humor and attitude to make this book as entertaining as a self-help book can be. "

Audie Award Winner, Personal Development, 2014

Bestselling author, speaker, and world-traveling success coach Jen Sincero cuts through the din of the self-help genre with her own verbal meat cleaver in You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life. In this refreshingly blunt how-to guide, Sincero serves up twenty-seven bite-sized chapters full of hilariously inspiring stories, life-changing insights, easy exercises, and the occasional swear word.

Via chapters such as "Your Brain Is Your Bitch," "Fear Is for Suckers," and "My Subconscious Made Me Do It," Sincero takes you on a wild joy ride to your own transformation, helping you create the money, relationships, career, and general all-around awesomeness you so desire. And should you be one of those people who dreads getting busted with a self-help book in your hands, fear not.

Sincero, a former skeptic herself, delivers the goods minus the New Age cheese, giving even the snarkiest of poo-pooers exactly what they need to get out of their ruts and start kicking some ass. By the end of You are a Badass, you will understand why you are how you are, how to love what you can't change, how to change what you don't love, and how to start living the kind of life you used to be jealous of.

Bestselling author, speaker and world-traveling success coach, Jen Sincero, cuts through the din of the self-help genre with her own verbal meat cleaver in You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life. In this refreshingly blunt how-to guide, Sincero, serves up 27 bite-sized chapters full of hilariously inspiring stories, life-changing insights, easy exercises and the occasional swear word.

Via chapters such as "Your Brain is Your Bitch," "Fear is for Suckers" and "My Subconscious Made Me Do It," Sincero takes you on a wild joy ride to your own transformation, helping you create the money, relationships, career and general all around awesomeness you so desire. And should you be one of those people who dreads getting busted with a self-help book in your hands, fear not. Sincero, a former skeptic herself, delivers the goods minus the New-Age cheese, giving even the snarkiest of poo-pooers exactly what they need to get out of their ruts and start kicking some ass.

By the end of You Are a Badass, you will understand why you are how you are, how to love what you can't change, how to change what you don't love, and how to start living the kind of life you used to be jealous of.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:22 -0400)

Offers a blunt and irreverent guide to achieving the money, relationships, career, and happiness that one desires through recognizing and doing away with self-sabotaging beliefs and behaviors.

202 wanted1 pay5 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,288,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible