Magic Tree House Research Guide #14: Ancient…

Magic Tree House Research Guide #14: Ancient Rome and Pompeii

by Mary Pope Osborne

Ancient Rome and Pompeii is an excellent research guide (Fact Tracker #14)! Roman war machines, famous and infamous Romans, Mt. Vesuvius and the demise of Rome are samples of the subjects covered.

Clever illustrations by Sal Murdocca. This book also suggests other nonfiction sources about Rome and Pompeii: software, CD-ROMS, books, videos, DVDs, and museums! ( )
  shsunon | Sep 23, 2013 |
Summary:
This book teaches about Ancient Rome and the different phases of "government' it went through. It also includes maps and fun facts to keep your brain reeling. It has a chapter about the different structures you will find in Rome and what they were used for. In one part of the book it has a learn Latin section which i thought was very neat for teaching children. It also talks about some of the important people from Rome and what their daily lives were like. Another section included is about Pompeii in which a volcano erupts and destroys the town and kills many people.

Personal Reaction:
I like this book. I found that I actually learned a lot about history and stuff. It kept it interesting so I never seemed bored.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Use this to teach a history lesson to class
2. Use this to learn about some famous Romans that changed our lives and history. ( )
  SarahClick | Mar 8, 2012 |
I found a Magic Tree House book on Ancient Rome and Pompeii, which I am currently teaching my students about in my 6th grade classroom. I loved the book; I think I learned more from it than I do from some of my teaching materials. I came very close to purchasing it for my classroom. I liked the book for its attention to detail and fact. I’ve seen many books this level be very brief and summary oriented. This book had many facts and descriptions about Roman life and culture. The only reason it was an Early reader was the age-appropriate vocabulary. Everything else was relevant to what I am teaching my 6th graders. Included in the book were Latin words, pronunciations for names/locations, and pictures, as well as suggestions for further research including book/video titles and tips for organizing your research. ( )
  jenb1117 | Apr 14, 2008 |

Reference guide/companion to

Magic Tree House Research Guides are now Magic Tree House Fact Trackers! Track the facts with Jack and Annie!

When Jack and Annie got back from their adventure in Magic Tree House #13: Vacation Under the Volcano, they had lots of questions. How did ancient Rome become an emipre? Where did ancient Romans go for fun? What happened to the Roman town of Pompeii? What have we learned from it? Find out the answers to these questions and more as Jack and Annie track the facts. Filled with up-to-date information, photos, illustrations, and fun tidbits from Jack and Annie, the Magic Tree House Fact Trackers are the perfect way for kids to find out more about the topics they discovered in their favorite Magic Tree House adventures.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:53 -0400)

What was it like to be a gladiator? How many people died in the destruction of Pompeii? How did Roman children spend their days? Find out the answers to these questions and more in Magic Tree House Research Guide: Ancient Rome and Pompeii. This is the nonfiction companion to Vacation Under the Volcano (Magic Tree House #13).… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible