Gwynneth Ever After by Linda Poitevin

Gwynneth Ever After

by Linda Poitevin

Gwynneth Ever After by Linda Poitevin is a 2014 Michem publishing publication. I was provided a copy of this book by e reader discovery review book club in exchange for an honest review.

This is a cute, feel good, love story that made me smile.

Gwynneth ( with two n's), is a single mother of three and Gareth is a famous Hollywood actor who meet by chance and strike up a friendship.

But, the last thing Gareth expected to happen while he was hiding out at at his cousin's home in Canada, was to find himself falling in love with Gwyn, and her children too. But, Gareth is carrying a heavy secret around with him and when things start to become real with Gwyn, he can't tell her the truth, which of course will come back to haunt him.

As for Gwyn, she has her hands full with three kids.. enough said. Their father simply walked away, leaving Gwyn and the kids behind without a backward glance. While she keeps her head up most of the time, she still harbors resentment and fears being hurt again. She would have trouble in any new relationship with a man, but a famous Hollywood movie star? It goes without saying that the road could be a rocky one for Gareth and Gwyn.

I am always delighted to see women past their twenties in a romantic lead ( although one character referred to Gwyn as middle aged, but she is only in her thirties) and Gwyn came across as a normal person with routine issues we can all relate to, especially when it comes to raising kids. She is also a strong woman working hard to put her romantic and relationship disappointments behind her, but her situation was very hard, and one can't fault her for having a moment or two of doubt or panic.

Although Gareth is a movie star, he doesn't behave like one, meaning he's not self absorbed, or an egomaniac. In fact, he is quite loveable and watching him interact with Gwyn's children was very bittersweet.

I loved the slow build up in the relationship between two gun shy people from vastly different worlds. I'm not a big fan of stories with small children featured in them, but Gwyn's children were adorable, adding another layer of enchantment to the story.

This story is a low key romance novel, with some minor angst, some understandable issues with trust, and some stop/start moments along the way. There is nothing overly dramatic, nothing too heavy, no lump in the throat moments, and is pretty light fair, but it's classy and oozes with understated charm and overall was quite a delightful story.

3.5 rounded to 4 ( )
  gpangel | Aug 22, 2015 |
4.5 stars
This was a wonderful read for me. It was a great break from angst, danger, mystery or anything else other than slow sweet love. Don’t misunderstand there were issues to deal with, but they were handled without over the top drama. It slowly builds from beginning to end.

Gwyn is raising three children on her own and is a very strong woman that has been badly hurt and betrayed. I really liked the fact that she didn’t fall for Gareth right away. I mean she knew who he was, who didn’t? She put her children first in all things, even over herself. As a mother I get that, but towards the end I wanted to scream at her to get over it and do something for herself. The fact that her ex left her, not to mention the way he did it had left a pretty big scar on Gwyn’s heart. When she finally lets someone in he unavoidably causes her pain and she pushes Gareth away and tells him it’s over.

Gareth is in town for a reason no one can know, and he sure didn’t expect to fall for anyone. That was before he sat next to “Gwynneth with 2 ns” during a local play. He was let into her life slowly and he wasn’t leaving. He had to fight Gwyn’s reluctance at almost every step, but he did. After he realized he had found the love of his life, it all gets away from him. The reason he’s in town becomes known. On the evening news no less, and Gwyn feels betrayed and lied to. Gareth fights, begs, and anything else he can think of to get Gwyn to let him back in, but despite knowing the truth and why he couldn’t tell her she of course says no. Gareth, not knowing what else to do gives in and books a flight to leave town. Of course that isn’t the end of the book, but I will not spoil that for you.

I loved this amazingly sweet love story, especially the fact that it took it’s time to build up to the conclusion. They got to know each other and Gareth came to know Gwyn’s fears and insecurities enough that he could mostly work around them. Don’t get me wrong the attraction between them was obvious and intense from the beginning, but they took it slow. I felt for Gwyn as she faced and worked through her excruciating fear of the pain of loss and living through it again.

This is a stand-alone, no cliffhanger! I wouldn’t mind more of Gwyn and Gareth though.

I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Darker Passions ( )
  Tala2cubs | Sep 3, 2014 |
Such a refreshing change to read about a relationship in my own age bracket! I really loved this love story. Set in a city far away from the bright lights of Hollywood, we meet Gwynneth and her adorable 3 children. Gwyn has been both parents to her 3 children since their father walked out of their lives and Gwyn has guarded her heart and fiercely protected her family ever since. She has let no one into her heart or home for fear of them being hurt again.
Now throw one Hollywood superstar, namely Gareth Connor into the mix, and the tight hold Gwyn has on the walls around her family and heart are tested.

Gareth too, has had his share of heartache. He guards his heart and his privacy from the prying eyes of the public, finding it hard to trust women's motives, worried that they are only with him because of his on screen persona. What was a chance meeting leaves them both feel a connection so unfamiliar that it throws both of them for a loop. There is a chemistry between them, breaking through their barriers and inviting them to learn to trust and love again.

Gwyn has a great support system in her best friend Sandy and I loved their open and honest relationship. Sandy was there for all Gwyn's relationship breakdown and knows only too well the toll that it has taken on Gwyn and the kids. Gareth is staying in town with his cousin Sean, who has seen the toll fame has taken on Gareth and I also liked their relationship.

I thought the pace was perfect as we witnessed the blossoming of the relationship between Gwyn and Gareth, the doubts and fears that the relationship would work and how they worked through these issues. Overall it was a very sweet, love story, a great book to read at any time. ( )
  Artfullee | Apr 8, 2014 |
3 1/2 stars. A chance meeting with a movie star leads to a romance for a divorced mother of three, but can Gwynneth trust him? The characters were interesting and, even the children, though I felt the ex-wife's turn around at the end a bit unbelievable given the way she had behaved beforehand. Amy seemed remarkably understanding for an eighteen year old. A good, quick read. I have not been compensated in any way (other than being given a copy of this book to review) and my opinion on the book is entirely my own. ( )
  graffitimom | Aug 27, 2013 |
An adorable romance to devour avidly!

Honestly, while reading the synopsis about a movie star who will fall in love with a commun stranger, I said to myself: "It reeks of cliché and déjà vu!"
Well, Linda Poitevin got me with her story!

Superbly written in accuracy and reality, it's a real world romance without fancy characters, even if the heros is famous. It's just a sweet love story that will make you sigh
I really loved this tender fairy tale of modern times .

No fairy godmother or money coming from the sky but battles to can make ends meet every month.
Mother of three, Gwyn juggles witrh her architect work and her commitments to offer the best to her children. Baby-sitters, friends, yes. But no boyfriends allowed. No one succeptible to hurt her family can walk through the doors of her house or her heart. Until an unexpected and unlikely appointment with Gareth, a movie star, changed his life.

As for the movie star heros, he is hot but not too extravagant. He has some personal reasons to be away from the Los Angeles's trays when he fell in love with Gwyn's family.

It's sweet and tender how the author takes us into the reality of a mundane daily life of a single mother. Like every heroine of a real life, Gwyn has to deal with chickenpox, noodle dishes, bedtime stories and lego cubes.
Where other romances would have brought the hero to spend money on a private jet, Gareth makes himself useful by putting his hand to the paw by giving daily bathing to the children.

Ok, even if the happy ending is set like in a fairy tale, I found that Linda Poitevin outcome was fun, especially the airport bad timining.

Realistic, touching, I really did not feel like saying goodbye to this nice set of characters.

Lucie
http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/2013/07/gwynneth-ever-after-by-linda-poite... ( )
  luciefuentes | Jul 26, 2013 |

Linda Poitevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,701,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible