The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

The Queen of the Tearling (2014)

by Erika Johansen

Series: Queen of the Tearling (1)

English (123)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (125)
I really enjoyed this book! It's a great coming of age story. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
I really enjoyed this book. I am not a hardcore fantasy fan and I have not read Game of Thrones, so can not comment on that, but I liked the book. Kelsea is spirited out of the castle as an infant and raised by Barty (an ex-Queens guardsman) and Carlin (a noble woman). When she finally turns 18, the Queen's Guards show up to take her to the Keep to become the queen and get crowned. Everyone wants to kill her and she is chased all the way. There are other attempts on her life after she arrives at the Keep. She has a jewel that she wears around her neck that gives her some strange and unknown powers, but she gradually comes to use them appropriately. I am looking forward to the next book in this series. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Before I type anything else, let me first say that I'm stunned at the sheer amount of hype that this book is receiving right now. I'm always wary when something is hyped up too much. Always wondering as to why the PR department wants me to "LOVE THIS!" before I've even set my hands upon it. If a book is that good, shouldn't it be able to stand on its own? Why compare it to what has come before? All that aside, I was enchanted by the premise and added this to my wishlist. I can't resist an opportunity to become lost in a new world, and a new series.

Let's get the bits I'm bitter about out of the way first. This book is long. Topping the charts at 448 pages, it's not light reading. Now, as a previous reader of tomes, I had no issue with this at first. As long as the story is interesting enough to carry me through 450 pages? No harm, no foul. The Queen of the Tearling, however, was a struggle for me to finish. I forgave the beginning for being slow. World-building takes time, characters must be introduced, all that is fine with me. What I couldn't overlook was how spaced out the action scenes after that were. Doesn't the synopsis promise an action packed book? Don't expect that. Expect travelling. Lots of travelling. I suppose this was meant to give the reader a chance to see the world. I wasn't sold.

My other big issue with this story were the characterizations. Starting with Kelsea. Why, oh why, can't she be both beautiful and intelligent? I loved her strength, and her tenacity, but was aghast as all the things that made her female were slowly stripped away. Again, I can speculate. Maybe the author meant to make a point it isn't our outward appearance that makes us strong, tenacious women? Still, why couldn't Kelsea be benevolent and intelligent while also being at least pretty enough to feel confident in herself? I just don't know, and it bothered me to no end. Add in the fact that all the other characters who surround her are either perfectly good, or obviously malevolent, and the lack of effort just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Okay, rant over. Let's talk about what I liked! This is the part that actually does make me look forward to the next book in the series, and that is the world-building itself. The land that Kelsea inhabits is definitely an original concept. Set in the future, but pulled back into the monarchies of old, it lends itself to an amazing mash-up of past and present. Science has flourished, but a monarchy remains. Technology has advanced, but the views of the people are trapped in the past. It's an intriguing concept, and allows a lot of room for little references to be thrown in here and there that made me smile. More than anything, this world is what I'm looking forward to going back to. Also, I can't help but be hopeful that they'll be a lot more action coming in the future. The scenes that were present were that delicious mix of bloody and satisfying. If you know how to write a good fight scene, you have my attention.

Apologies for the long review, but I could probably write many more paragraphs about this book and barely skim the surface of what I'm feeling. Do I think that The Queen of the Tearling is worth all the hype? No, I do not. Do I think that it has the potential to become a successful series? Yes, I actually do. This first book isn't the best introduction, but if you can make it through I think you'll see that it does have that glimmer of hope at the end. This is coming from a girl who almost gave up, but pressed on. I'd love to give this book a better rating, because I was so looking forward to it, but I am sadly unable to. That doesn't mean I won't revisit this world when the next book comes out though. Call me crazy, but I have hope. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Characters all nuanced and she explores their inner worlds and backgrounds. Strong social justice focus, and political/religious systems analysis. ( )
  WendyLbird | Jan 1, 2019 |
Really intriguing world mechanics and some interesting characters and growth beats cannot overcome my discomfort and disgust at repeated harping on the "unattractiveness" of the main character (woman, of course) and fat-shaming. I am very disappointed in those aspects that occur frequently and from many sources. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |

Erika Johansenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prato, RodicaMap designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whittaker, SarahCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Christian and Katie
Kelsea Glynn sat very still, watching the troop approach her homestead.

"On her nineteenth birthday, Princess Kelsea Raleigh Glynn, raised in exile, sets out on a perilous journey back to the castle of her birth to ascend her rightful throne. Plain and serious, a girl who loves books and learning, Kelsea bears little resemblance to her mother, the vain and frivolous Queen Elyssa. But though she may be inexperienced and sheltered, Kelsea is not defenseless: Around her neck hangs the Tearling sapphire, a jewel of immense magical power; and accompanying her is the Queen's Guard, a cadre of brave knights led by the enigmatic and dedicated Lazarus. Kelsea will need them all to survive a cabal of enemies who will use every weapon--from crimson-caped assassins to the darkest blood magic--to prevent her from wearing the crown."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,640,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible