After I'm Gone by Laura Lippman

After I'm Gone

by Laura Lippman

The Shape of Snakes by Minette Walters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you're looking for leisurely paced, finely wrought psychological suspense novels full of rich characters, look no further. Both involve a reopened investigation into a long-ago death and the wide-ranging and electrifying effects of both the investigation and its results.… (more)
    The Chimney Sweeper's Boy by Barbara Vine (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These character-driven and leisurely paced psychological novels derive their suspense as much from the relationships and characters as from the murderous events at the heart of their mysteries. They are intricately plotted, compelling, and mesmerizing.… (more)

A recommendation for a novel full of mystery and intrigue.
Felix Brewer marries 17 year old "Bambi" Gottschalk after meeting her at a Valentine Dance with his two friends (future lawyer and Bail Bondsman). Felix runs the numbers game and eventually gets tried and sentenced to jail. He takes off and leaves Bambi, his 3 daughters and his Mistress holding the bag. The novel is told in flashbacks from the perspective of an investigator, his Mistress (Julie), his daughters, Bambi and family friends. Julie disappears 10 years after Felix and years later her body is found. Sandy, an investigator for the Baltimore Police, reopens the cold case and begins his investigation. We find out what happens to Felix's family after he disappears, what happens to his two best friends and their families and how it all ties together in the murder of Julie. A good read. Once I got into the book, I could not put it down. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
(2) This was just OK for me. I really loved Lippman's 'What the Dead Know,' but this one and another (Wilde Lake) that I read were really nothing special. This is set in Baltimore which I am gathering is her usual locale and it jumps around in time - A small-time racketeer leaves his wife, 3 daughters, and his mistress and goes on the lam. His mistress turns up dead 10 years after his disappearance and the case is never solved - open to our story, a retired cop is working as a consultant on cold cases and he decides to work on the death of the mistress. This begins a series of reflections jumping around in time and in in the third person from the perspective of multiple different characters. I didn't guess the whodunnit which usually pleases me to be outsmarted; but sadly, I really didn't care.

The writing was pedestrian without significant emotion, characterization, atmosphere, nor psychological tension. Just really forgettable. Sandy, the widowed detective with the institutionalized estranged son, was the only vaguely interesting character. It seems he could possibly have a recurring role in her Tess something-or-other mystery series which were alluded to at the end.

Oh well. I think I am done with this author. Might do in a pinch at an airport though and for sure an easy-breezy reasonably engaging, but ultimately a bland novel. ( )
  jhowell | Jan 5, 2019 |
I thought this was a Tess Monaghan book and although she was in it, (kind of obliquely) I didn't like it as much as previous ones. ( )
  MikeDI | May 27, 2018 |
This was just okay for me. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to it but It just didn't grab me and keep my attention like I wanted. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |
On July 4, 1976, Felix Brewster flees the U.S. and an impending prison sentence, leaving his wife (Bambi), three daughters, and a mistress (Julie) behind. Julie, who had made a life for herself with the coffee shop left in her name, disappears on the 10th anniversary of Felix’s flight, leading to speculation that she left to join her lover. The speculation ends with the discovery of Julie’s body, and her murder goes unsolved. In the meantime, Felix’s family struggles financially and emotionally in his absence. Enter Roberto “Sandy” Sanchez, a retired homicide detective who opens the cold case twenty six years later, determined to close the case. While the unsolved murder is the catalyst for the story, Lippman expertly explores the impact of Felix’s flight on the five women he left behind, demonstrating the far-reaching consequences of one individual’s criminal activity. Cutting between past and present, the novel provides a thoughtful examination of carefully constructed fans that readers of Lippman have come to expect, and fans of the Tess Monaghan series will appreciate the appearance of a few familiar faces.

Rachel H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |

Laura Lippmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Emond, LindaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sasscer, AshleeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where you used to be, there is a whole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
For David: To invert Noel Airman's caddish comment to Marjorie Morningstar, you've had the blame, now take the credit.
They left at dusk, about an hour before the fireworks were scheduled, and by the time they were at the old toll bridge over the Susquehanna, Felix could see glimmers of light through the one tiny window, little celebrations everywhere.

Dead is dead. Missing is gone. When Felix Brewer meets nineteen-year-old Bernadette "Bambi" Gottschalk at a Valentine's Day dance in 1959, he charms her with wild promises, some of which he actually keeps. Thanks to his lucrative - if not all legal - businesses, she and their three little girls live in luxury. But on the Fourth of July in 1976, Bambi's comfortable world implodes when Felix, facing prison, vanishes. Though Bambi has no idea where her husband - or his money - might be, she suspects one woman does: his devoted young mistress, Julie.

"When Felix Brewer meets Bernadette "Bambi" Gottschalk at a Valentine's Dance in 1959, he charms her with wild promises, some of which he actually keeps. Thanks to his lucrative--if not all legal--businesses, she and their three little girls live in luxury. But on the Fourth of July, 1976, Bambi's comfortable world implodes when Felix, newly convicted and facing prison, mysteriously vanishes. Though Bambi has no idea where her husband--or his money--might be, she suspects one woman does: his mistress, Julie. When Julie disappears ten years to the day that Felix went on the lam, everyone assumes she's left to join her old lover--until her remains are eventually found. Now, twenty-six years after Julie went missing, Roberto "Sandy" Sanchez, a retired Baltimore detective working cold cases for some extra cash, is investigating her murder. What he discovers is a tangled web stretching over three decades that connects five intriguing women. And at the center is the missing man Felix Brewer. Somewhere between the secrets and lies connecting past and present, Sandy will find the truth. And when he does, no one will ever be the same" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,417,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible