At Night We Walk in Circles: A Novel by…

At Night We Walk in Circles: A Novel (edition 2013)

by Daniel Alarcon

Member:Alexander19
Title:At Night We Walk in Circles: A Novel
Authors:Daniel Alarcon
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2013), Hardcover, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:ARC, Awesome, Latin literature

At Night We Walk in Circles by Daniel Alarcón

Gripping plot. Well written. Haunting ending. I want to think about it a little more. There's some kind of allegory about political violence embedded in here, but the meaning isn't by any means transparent to me. ( )
  jalbacutler | Jan 10, 2017 |
Alarcon reminds me of Roberto Bolano - the third-person narration in this book adds to this impression. The everyday somehow becomes transformed into a sort of mythology. Characters get caught up in a story that defeats them, punishes them. A classic example of the theme I call "life as a prison." ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Already looking forward to his next novel - the book fulfills the 'prodigious talent' blurbs on the back. At its simplest, for anybody who's ever been involved in putting on a play, the first two-thirds will be one of the best books about 'community theatre' you'll ever read. At its most complex, it spans politics, post-revolutionary culture, coming-of-age, travelogue, violence, and more.

Why 3-and-a-half stars? Just didn't feel as if the energy carried all the way through to the end - given how much I enjoyed the first part, a really difficult task, but it sometimes felt like some easy-way-out choices were being made after the 'return to the city' from the travelling play. That said, I assume someone this good will only get better - I'll jump on the next book when it comes out. ( )
  buffalopoet | Nov 16, 2015 |
Slow, kept waiting for it, never happened, wasted my time, stupid ending ( )
1 vote vickiduncan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Could not take the boredom any longer.Too much pointless pontificating and no plot development. Disjointed narration from whoever is framing the story. Just didn't care. Returned to audible.com. Only the second book I've ever returned.

Crybaby fanboys who can't take someone else's opinion are really funny and pathetic. So sad. And funny. ( )
2 vote | Bookmarque | Aug 4, 2014 |
The spectacle's externality with respect to the acting subject is demonstrated by the fact that the individual's own gestures are no longer his own, but rather those of someone else who represents them to him. The spectator feels at home nowhere, for the spectacle is everywhere. --GUY DEBORD, The Society of the Spectacle
For Carolina, León, and Eliseo
During the war--which Nelson's father called the anxious years--a few radical students at the Conservatory founded a theater company.

Nelson's life is not turning out the way he hoped. His girlfriend is sleeping with another man, his brother has left their South American country, leaving Nelson to care for their widowed mother, and his acting career can't seem to get off the ground. That is, until he lands a starring role in a touring revival of The Idiot President, a legendary play by Nelson's hero, Henry Nunez, leader of the storied guerrilla theater troupe Diciembre. And that's when the real trouble begins.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Daniel Alarcón's book At Night We Walk In Circles was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,262,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible