Ravage by Iain Rob Wright

by Iain Rob Wright

Member:Cynical_Hermit
Title:Ravage
Authors:Iain Rob Wright
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2013), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 434 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Ravage by Iain Rob Wright

My full Ravage audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I like the dissolute Ferris Wheel in the background on the cover. The lighting is dark and spooky with a feel of innocence about to be lost. I think it is a nice play on helping visually foreshadow the reader for what is to come.

This book is kind of a different take on the usual zombie genre. The sick people remind me of rabid animals before they die and start their zombie afterlife. People just seem to be getting sick with flu like symptoms, then they start going berzerk, then biting and eating others. Iain Rob Wright has the story from the point of view of two people, Nick and Annaliese.

There is an error in the synopsis overview though. It says, “Nick’s first customer of the day has just stumbled through the door…” In the story Nick has had a few other customers before the fateful one, not many, but a few.

I loved Nigel Patterson’s accent. He really helped bring the story to life. The only issue I had is when the story switched point of views between Nick and another main character named Annaliese. Usually I wouldn’t have any problems with this, but there were a few times Nigel’s voice didn’t really have a tone change between the two to help differentiate when they are speaking to each other.

I noticed one scene where he stumbled a little while reading. It was only a slight hesitation, but it is actually the author’s fault for making an error in spelling a name wrong. It is in chapter 15. The name is Charlotte, but the author misspells it to Charlie. If you are reading along it is at page 202. On the audible it is at 5:17:49.

I greatly enjoyed this story. I think Iain Rob Wright did a great job of painting out the scenes. The visual details were perfect for me. I am a firm believer that a horror zombie genre should have plenty of gore and blood. This book delivers the gore and more with a dash of senses overload. Warning – Do not read/listen to this story while eating if you have a weak stomach.

I loved how you get to feel the anxiety, hopelessness, loneliness, fear, anger, love, and hope from both Nick and Annaliese. Overall, this story leaves you with the idea of knowing that even when one life is over others must live on. Life does not stop just because something bad happens. Those left alive must learn to not only survive, they must live. You never know when life will end. Enjoy it.

Audiobook provided for review by the narrator. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jul 17, 2014 |
This is my first venture into the world of Iain Rob Wright and, based on this read, probably won't be my last. "Ravage" is a solid, if not predictable, story about a zombie apocalypse threatening England.

The book takes off quickly with little in the way of scene-setting (not necessarily a bad thing). Wright introduces the reader to a small band of survivors led by an unwilling hero named Nick who find themselves on the run from a country gone mad. As the band makes their way to what they believe will be sanctuary on a hilltop amusement park. Unfortunately, the book drags a little at this point and I found myself losing a little interest as it became nothing more than a "Walking Dead-Light" story.

The book did pick up considerably when Wright introduces the reader to another band of survivors led by a strong character named Anna. Anna's group is actually at the amusement park and eventually helps Nick's band flee from a zombie hoard through the use of the park's cable car system.

As the larger group of characters begin to interact with one another, the book becomes difficult to put down. From this point though, prevalent zombie themes become the focal points of the book. These include: "We're running out of food", "Who's going to be the boss?", and the ever-present, "I think we have more to fear from the living than we do from the undead".

Replaying these stereotypical themes keep this book from being anything more than a 3 1/2 star read. Readers won't find any new ground in "Ravage", but they will find a fairly enjoyable experience with solid characters from the keyboard of a promising author. ( )
  coachtim30 | Mar 17, 2014 |
Another zombie apocalypse storyline...ugghh. But low and behold, it turns out very inciteful into the characters psyches. Still, a little overdone and a lot like the 'Walking Dead" series. ( )
  wndy2011 | Nov 24, 2013 |
FIRST PEOPLE GOT SICK. THEN THEY GOT VERY SICK..
Nick Adams is just a normal guy. He loves his family, appreciates his home, and covets his car. But he absolutely hates his job. Which is what makes it so difficult that not a single customer has come by his store today. It seems as though there’s a bug going around, something that has come out of nowhere and is keeping people at home. Still, it’s probably nothing to worry about. People get sick all the time.

And besides, things are finally starting to look up. Nick’s first customer of the day has just stumbled through the door…

HIS DAY IS ABOUT TO GET WORSE..
It won’t be long before Nick’s entire life is turned upside down, sending him on a frantic journey through a ravaged world that will ultimately lead him 500 feet upwards to a hilltop amusement park. Is it the last safe place on Earth, or are the monsters at the top of the hill even worse than the ones below?

WELCOME TO RIPLEY HEIGHTS. WHERE THE FUN NEVER STARTS.
A non-stop thrill ride by one of my fave new author's in the Horror genre.
He nails it with this one.
Great character's and suspense.
Very scary!
Hoping there is a sequel.
Highly recommended! ( )
  silversurfer | Oct 15, 2013 |

FIRST PEOPLE GOT SICK. THEN THEY GOT VERY SICK..

HIS DAY IS ABOUT TO GET WORSE..

WELCOME TO RIPLEY HEIGHTS. WHERE THE FUN NEVER STARTS.

amazon.com

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,848,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible