The Circle of Ceridwen: Book One of The…

The Circle of Ceridwen: Book One of The Circle of Ceridwen Saga (Volume 1) (edition 2014)

by Octavia Randolph (Author)

Member:Autumnice
Title:The Circle of Ceridwen: Book One of The Circle of Ceridwen Saga (Volume 1)
Authors:Octavia Randolph (Author)
Info:Pyewacket Press (2014), 638 pages
Tags:Historical Fiction, England

The Circle of Ceridwen (Circle of Ceridwen Trilogy, #1) by Octavia Randolph

I am a fan of the movie series Vikings and Game of Thrones (which I have not read) so this ebook was right on with this theme. I enjoyed it very much and will have to read the rest of the series. ( )
  libraryclerk | Jan 11, 2017 |
Highly recommended and entertaining read. Some readers might be put off by the language at first: my advice is to stick with it. It will rapidly become addictive. The voice remains true, immersing us in the lives of very human characters. I happen to be married to a military historian, so I spotted the liberties taken for the historical period in question, but I think most readers will either not notice or will not be bothered by them. I didn't have the heart to dock a point for it because the story is fascinating and rolls right along. The amount of detail is enough to paint a wonderful setting without pulling us out of the action. It's longer than most ebooks, but you find you don't want to put it down or have it end. Kudos to the author! ( )
  Carrie.Kilgore | Nov 29, 2013 |
An excellent story of 9th century Britain, slow-moving yet exciting, with an amazing sense of being part of everyday life at the time. Young Ceridwen, after being orphaned and raised by monks, flees to seek employment rather than marry one of her few options. She falls in with Aelfwyn, who is being sent to marry the Dane Yrling against her wishes. The two are fast friends. Yrling's nephew, Sidroc, immediately senses in Ceridwen a kindred spirit, but she is intimidated by his certainty and devotion. Then a prisoner is brought to the holding, whom the women learn is Gyric, the young man whome Aelfwyn loved. When Ceridwen sneaks in to help him escape, she discovers that his eyes have been burnt out and he is barely alive. So she escapes with him, despite his apathy, and while they travel they fall in love. They are married by a forest priest shortly before they reach Gyric's home. ( )
  dolphari | Oct 2, 2013 |

It is the year 871, when England was Angle-Land, and largely fallen to the invading Vikings. Ceridwen, lost in the frozen woods, is discovered by warriors accompanying young Aelfwyn, daughter of a Saxon lord, sold into marriage to a Viking war chief as part of a peace treaty. Becoming fast friends with Aelfwyn, Ceridwen joins the group to their destination- the captured fortress of Four Stones. There, Ceridwen finds living with the enemy affords her unusual freedoms and she find contentment in helping Aelfwyn restore the Four Stones to glory, until a new arrival shatters their peace and sets Ceridwen on an extraordinary adventure to save a man she has never met.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,579,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible