Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less by…

Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less (original 1976; edition 2004)

by Jeffrey Archer

1,292186,064 (3.64)1 / 25
Member:weeziefitz
Title:Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less
Authors:Jeffrey Archer
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less by Jeffrey Archer (1976)

English (15)  Italian (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (18)
The first proper thriller I've ever read. Many years ago. Great fun, clever plot. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
I love Jeffrey Archer's writing but this book was probably one of my least favorites among the books of his that I have read. With that said he is such a good author that I still gave the book three stars. ( )
  RobertBerry | Mar 18, 2014 |
Most popular books have durability but this one is not among them. Reason is that the last 3 chapters or so were stabs at comedy that went wide off the mark. Although my enjoyment and my remembrance of this book and my smile faltered near the end, for most of the story I pronounced it a perfect 5/5. I enjoyed it immensely. Nevertheless the plot in retrospective seems less clever in the cold light of the day. It was one of those books that don't have much staying power and cannot be enjoyed a second time. I should mentioned though that as an author, Jeffrey Archer has grown on me and I'm curious about his books. Watch this space. ( )
  Jiraiya | Sep 15, 2013 |
It's a very insipid book, as far as revenge thriller story goes. It's author's first and favourite book, so I gave it a try - and it's quick read no doubt - but immaturity of writing reflects. Story is patchy, schemes just okay. Worst thing is characterization. You supposedly have four smart people who not only want revenge but will cook up huge plans, break laws, and take efforts to take it, but very same people were stupider than average Joe when they lost money. Similarly you have a global mastermind who plays stock market to his advantage and then just signs a cash check in the name of university chancellor without question. Harping on "not a penny more" was getting irritating in the end. Last share of $250k was not even winning from scheme, but voluntary gift by Harvey to his daughter. Parts of stories are left hanging, such as detective who was investigating stock market scam and fate of fall-guy David. ( )
  ashishg | Nov 21, 2012 |
Four men are swindled by the one man, and they join together to get their money back - not a penny more, not a penny less. The book tells the story of how they get their own back.

I think this is the most dated of Archer's books. It's definately "of its era" which is something that Archer manages to ditch in later books.
  nordie | Aug 23, 2011 |

Jeffrey Archerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Loponen, SeppoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mary and the fat man
'Jorg expect $7 million from Credit Parisien in the No. 2 account by 6 pm tonight, Central European Time, and place it with first-class banks and triple "A" commercial names. (Prologue)
Making a million legally has always been difficult.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312997132, Mass Market Paperback)

The conned: an Oxford don, a revered society physician, a chic French art dealer, and a charming English lord. They have one thing in common. Overnight, each novice investor lost his life's fortune to one man. The con: Harvey Metcalfe. A brilliant, self-made guru of deceit. A very dangerous individual. And now, a hunted man.

With nothing left to lose four strangers are about to come together-each expert in their own field. Their plan: find Harvey, shadow him, trap him, and penny-for-penny, destroy him. From the luxurious casinos of Monte Carlo to the high-stakes windows at Ascot to the bustling streets of Wall Street to fashionable London galleries, their own ingenious game has begun. It's called revenge-and they were taught by a master

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:45 -0400)

A Boston business man whose fortune is built on shady deals meets his match when he swindles four unsuspecting investors. The men band together and steal back exactly what they lost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,335,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible