The Deep by Peter Benchley

The Deep (original 1976; edition 1977)

by Peter Benchley

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:The Deep
Authors:Peter Benchley
Info:Bantam Books (Mm) (1977), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:1999

The Deep by Peter Benchley (1976)

I loved this book! I devoured it quickly, it was some what cheesy at parts and but I loved it! Then the ending came.....and I was so disappointed!!! what a horrible to wrap that book up! No closure what so ever on any of the story lines!!! I expected more! ( )
  Samantha.Ann | Sep 4, 2014 |
Read this years ago when I was into my diaster books. ( )
  suefitz1 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Much more interesting than the boring movie made from it, but still no Jaws. A solid effort worth a read, but not near as powerful. ( )
  BryanThomasS | Nov 7, 2011 |
Gail and David Sanders are honeymooning in Bermuda, enjoying the scuba diving. They dive on a wreck near their hotel and come up with, among other things, a glass ampule filled with yellow liquid. Word gets around the island quickly and the Sanders find themselves first being coaxed and then threatened for information. Their only chance at surviving the local gang is working with Treece, a wreck diver who is after the Spanish treasure in the same spot.

If you've read Benchley's Jaws, you would know why I began reading this one with more than a little scepticism. I'm a huge fan of the movie, but it turned out that scriptwriters, Robert Shaw and Spielberg had taken the bones of the novel and built something way better.
So I expected more of the same here, but it seems that Benchley's writing improved quite a bit by the time this was published in 1976. It's an easy thriller that hangs on scary things happening underwater and in the dark night, with a police force so incompetent that the protagonists have to go it alone. A decent summer read. ( )
1 vote mstrust | Aug 16, 2011 |
Another book picked up on a whim years ago, lost in the "to read" pile, and only read now as a break between all of the birthday treat books I recently received. The pages turn okay, but it's not the stand-out book the "FROM THE AUTHOR OF JAWS!!!" branding might make you believe. ( )
  pauliharman | Oct 22, 2009 |
for Teddy and Edna Tucker
In sea water more than a few feet deep, blood is green. Water filters the light from above, seeming to consume the colors of the spectrum shade by shade. Red is the first to succumb, to disappear. Green lasts longer. But then, below 100 feet, green, too, fades away, leaving blue. In the twilight depths--180, 200 feet, and beyond,--blood looks black.

A man and woman diving off the Bermuda coast in search of sunken treasure experience terrifying encounters that force them into a struggle for survival.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible