Ines of My Soul by Isabel Allende

Ines of My Soul (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Isabel Allende

Member:margaretmontet
Title:Ines of My Soul
Authors:Isabel Allende
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Unknown Binding
Tags:historical fiction, Chile, Spain, Inez Suarez, Latin American literature

Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende (2006)

English (64)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (75)
The book is an interesting story of the conquest of Chile but it was impossible for me to like the Spanish characters: it is a shame what they did there. ( )
  LauraM77 | Jun 28, 2016 |
Ines of My Soul – Isabel Allende
4 stars

Inez Suarez, a 16th century conquistadora, played an important role in the Spanish conquest of Chile. Ines of My Soul is the fictional memoir of this amazing woman. Allende gives Inez a voice to tell the story of her marriages, love affairs and adventures. She details the brutality of the wars against the indigenous population, and describes the difficult labor of founding a city in a new land. Inez directs the text of her memoir to her step-daughter. At a certain point in the story she indicates that she is dictating to her daughter. I think this technique gave Inez a very real voice. I felt that I was listening to a conversation or that this very interesting woman was talking directly to me.
Inez has a great deal to say about the history of Chile, but also about the role of women. She does not spare the Spaniards in her descriptions of atrocities committed against the native population and she speaks with respect and admiration of the Mapuches. This may not be a historically accurate viewpoint, but it made her character more palatable. This was my first reading of Allende. I’m looking forward to more.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Allende is a wonderful writer and the first half of this novel is gripping. But by the last 80 pages she seems to be trying to wrap it up, and it loses momentum. I'd have read 600 pages if they were like the first 200. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 17, 2016 |
Another wonderful tale from Isabel Allende. I read a few reviews when looking for a synopsis for my daughter to read so we could listen to the last two discs together on a recent trip in the car, and some of them were not all that good, but I disagree; I think it's right up there alongside Eva Luna and House of the Spirits. I learned a lot about the period of time the book takes place in and the colonization of Chile by the Spaniards - not a pretty period of time to be sure. Written as a letter from Inez Suarez to Isabel, it recounts the part she played in all this, along with her lovers, husbands, companions, and friends. She is a master at the romantic and just as good at her magical treatment of some battles she participated in. Her interaction with Michimalonca during battle was one of my favorite passages. ( )
  KathyGilbert | Jan 29, 2016 |
An amazing book. A fictional account of Ines Suarez and the conquering of Chile. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
Allende peppers Inés’ bio with characteristically fragrant details emotional fire-storms, lush foliage, aphrodisiac potions, and many “blazing whirlwinds” of lovemaking that turn a truly extraordinary life story into a forgettable, easy-reading romp.

“Inés is wholly a woman of her day, and Allende does not turn away from the historical record, which has her decapitating indigenous prisoners and hurling their heads over a fortress wall to terrorize their peers as well as saving lives as a gentle-handed healer.”

“Despite its graphic violence, “Ines,” like all of Allende’s novels, drips with color and sensuality. The author spent four years researching the era, incorporating knowledge not just about the history of Chile during the subjugation of its native people by the courageous and cruel Spanish, but such vital details as the kinds of food emigrants ate on the long ocean voyage and their manner of dress.The research pays off in finely detailed scenes.”

Isabel Allendeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liverani, ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Inés Suárez, a townswoman of the loyal city of Santiago de Nueva Extremadura in the kingdom of Chile, writing in the year of Our Lord 1580

Born into a poor family in Spain, Inés, a seamstress, finds herself condemned to a life of hard work without reward or hope for the future. It is the sixteenth century, the beginning of the Spanish conquest of the Americas, and when her shiftless husband disappears to the New World, Inés uses the opportunity to search for him as an excuse to flee her stifling homeland and seek adventure. After her treacherous journey takes her to Peru, she learns that her husband has died in battle. Soon she begins a fiery love affair with a man who will change the course of her life: Pedro de Valdivia, war hero and field marshal to the famed Francisco Pizarro.

Valdivia's dream is to succeed where other Spaniards have failed: to become the conquerer of Chile. The natives of Chile are fearsome warriors, and the land is rumored to be barren of gold, but this suits Valdivia, who seeks only honor and glory. Together the lovers Inés Suárez and Pedro de Valdivia will build the new city of Santiago, and they will wage a bloody, ruthless war against the indigenous Chileans—the fierce local Indians led by the chief Michimalonko, and the even fiercer Mapuche from the south. The horrific struggle will change them forever, pulling each of them toward their separate destinies.

Inés of My Soul is a work of breathtaking scope: meticulously researched, it engagingly dramatizes the known events of Inés Suárez's life, crafting them into a novel full of the narrative brilliance and passion readers have come to expect from Isabel Allende.

In the early years of the conquest of the Americas, Inés Suárez, a seamstress condemned to a life of toil, flees Spain to seek adventure in the New World. As Inés makes her way to Chile, she begins a fiery romance with Pedro de Valdivia, war hero and field marshal to the famed Francisco Pizarro. Together the lovers will build the new city of Santiago, and they will wage war against the indigenous Chileans—a bloody struggle that will change Inés and Valdivia forever, inexorably pulling each of them toward separate destinies.

Inés of My Soul is a work of breathtaking scope that masterfully dramatizes the known events of Inés Suárez's life, crafting them into a novel rich with the narrative brilliance and passion readers have come to expect from Isabel Allende.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:29 -0400)

A work of historical fiction chronicles the brave deeds and passionate loves of a spirited woman who journeyed to the New World and helped found a nation.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,620,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible