Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart: Thirty True…

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart: Thirty True Things You Need to Know Now (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Gordon Livingston

Member:Luciana43
Title:Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart: Thirty True Things You Need to Know Now
Authors:Gordon Livingston
Info:Da Capo Press (2004), Hardcover, 192 pages
Tags:Advice

Te vroeg oud, te laat wijs: dertig dingen die je nu zou moeten weten by Gordon Livingston (2004)

English (6)  Swedish (1)  All (7)
This is worth reading. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
I enjoyed the book because some of the thoughts he had made me really think about my life and those around me. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I am a reader of the "This I believe" genre, and so I undertook reading Gordon Livingston's 30 pearls of wisdom. Early on I found myself enjoying his unique perspective as a Vietnam vet and dissenter, psychiatrist, and parent who suffered the loss of two children, one by suicide and one who succumbed to leukemia. Later as the author wound his way through life's events offering up his beliefs on each, his wise-pater tone gave way to a grand-paternal ranting tone. Looking back at the cover, I recognized the ranting tone is present in the title. I disliked this tone and felt it makes the conveying of wisdom less effective. Nevertheless, there is plenty of thought provoking wisdom here and a healthy rant can provide grating emphasis. ( )
  rbartholomew | Nov 12, 2013 |
What can I say but "Amen" ( )
  carterchristian1 | Jun 18, 2010 |
A book containing generally sensible advice, written in an easy but assured conversational style.I am currently re-reading it by means of reading a chapter every evening to my wife. ( )
  RhydTybyans | Apr 20, 2010 |

Gordon Livingstonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Edwards, ElizabethForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my patients
Who taught me most of what is in this book.
And to Clare
Who, beyond all reason, chose to love me.

After service in Vietnam as a surgeon during the height of the war, Dr. Livingston returned to the U.S. and began work as a psychiatrist. In that capacity, he has listened to people talk about their lives--what works, what doesn't, and the limitless ways (most of them self-inflicted) we have found to be unhappy. Out of a lifetime of experience, Livingston has extracted thirty bedrock truths, which he illuminates in a series of carefully hewn essays, underscoring that "we are what we do," and that while there may be no escaping who we are, we also have the capacity to face loss, misfortune and regret and to move beyond them--that it is not too late.--From publisher description.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,418,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible