Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, and…

Dogtripping: 25 Rescues, 11 Volunteers, and 3 RVs on Our Canine…

by David Rosenfelt

The title of this tale says it all, well, nearly all. 25 mostly large dogs, along with 11 volunteers who are mostly strangers to each other but who were brought together by a couple who really don’t look insane but at least one seems to be leaning in that direction, are all stuffed into 3 pretty big RVs which they drive (the people, not the dogs, that would be silly) from California to Maine. Easy-peasy? Well, no, but certainly worth the effort. You will think you are on the trip along with David Rosenfelt, his wife Debbie, and all the others, but you may be very glad you weren’t. Much planning went into this cross-country trek, but still, things went wrong. Interspersed with the travelogue are the stories of the canines themselves. Heart-warming and humorous, this book is purebred entertainment from the first page to the last. Even if you aren’t lucky enough to have a four footed, furry friend in your life, you can be lucky enough to read about them – just open this book and get started on the adventure. ( )
  Maydacat | Jun 3, 2016 |
I prefer his Andy Carpenter series books, but this was an interesting look into his life and his involvement in rescue. He's open and honest about the fact that he and his wife are a little crazy to have so many dogs. I'd have to say there's a part of me that agrees. But they have the financial backing to do so and it obviously brings them a lot of joy and satisfaction, so that's a win-win situation. I was glad he interspersed stories about specific dogs with chapters about the trip. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |
More power to them! ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Mr. Rosenfelt is best known for his fictional Andy Carpenter series. Those books always, in one way or another, feature the title character’s dog Tara. Mr. Rosenfelt really did have a dog named Tara, and in her honor founded the Tara Foundation for rescuing Golden Retrievers and finding them new homes. In his efforts to re-home these dogs he often comes across animals that are too old, or too ill, or who, for any number of other reasons cannot be adopted out. These animals become his pets. He takes them home and makes sure their last years are as comfortable and happy as possible. Thank goodness his wife’s love of animals is a great as his, because the doggie head count at the time of the book was 25.

Some interesting pictures of some of his dogs can be found at http://www.wildaboutpets.net/info/innewsdetail.asp?nid=25&ID=1216

The situation this book details comes about when Mr. Rosenfelt and his wife decided to relocate back to Maine. How does one move 25 old, sick and fussy dogs (ahem – family members) across the country? Turns out one does it with 3 RV’s, a lot of help from friends and strangers and a healthy dose of a sense of humor.

This book was a joy to read, with Mr. Rosenfelt’s sarcastic wit causing some laugh-out-loud moments and his recollections of the dogs that have passed through his life causing some Kleenex moments. A must read for dog lovers. The love of my daughter’s life, second only (I think) to her husband, is a re-homed English Bulldog named Everett. She is definitely getting this book for Christmas!
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Really enjoyed this book !
Yes, it is a little repetitive and Yes, the chapters are extremely short. I think the author could have definitely expanded his chapters by telling more about the animals instead of just little blurbs. Regardless, it was a fun, feel good story that made me wish I had been part of the adventure :) ( )
  ginger72 | Aug 6, 2014 |

David Rosenfelt's "Dogtripping" is moving and funny account of a cross-country move from California to Maine, and the beginnings of a dog rescue foundation.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,466,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible