Dragonbait by David McLain

Dragonbait (original 2013; edition 2014)

by David McLain, Felix Eddy (Illustrator)

Member:bookwyrmm
Title:Dragonbait
Authors:David McLain
Other authors:Felix Eddy (Illustrator)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2014), Paperback, 200 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Early Review, ebook

Dragonbait by David McLain (2013)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hmmm. Well, the frame bothers me several times (so does the frame in Princess Bride - this is similar). It's told in an odd, rather flat voice - not quite fairy tale style, but not far removed - and is highly predictable except in a couple spots where it's completely not. And I had serious problems as I was reading, because what I got from Early Reviewers was a PDF, which is a pain to read on my phone (my normal ebook reading device). And with all that, I devoured the book - started it one evening and finished it the next day. Light, fun with some interesting deeper meanings in it. Lots of jokes for kids (which means, poop and fart jokes), and quite a few for adults (subtle enough I don't think kids will catch them, but...). The meta is interesting in itself - here's a father reading to his two sons about a girl defeating her tyrant father...hmmm. I don't love it, but I think I'll remember it for quite a while, and I may well reread it. I'll also be keeping an eye out for sequels. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 23, 2015 |
If you love some fun with your fairytale fantasies, this is a must! McLain's story is cute and funny and a very enjoyable read. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Nov 12, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this was an interesting take on a genre that I enjoy. If you have READ William Goldman's The Prince Bride then the voice that this book is written in will sound very familiar. I found the characters unique and engaging. The princess is not your run of the mill princess. My favorite character was Algernon, the last troll on earth. I really enjoyed this book and have recommended it to many people since reading it! You can pick it up for less than $5 on amazon! My one complaint with the book is really more about the ebook version. For some reason my .mobi file was strangely formatted on my kindle so that there was an empty line ever 3rd line on my kindle... not sure if this was my fault or the publishers though. ( )
  madhatr | Jul 7, 2014 |
a new twist on an old classic. the characters spoke like real people. the story itself was great. i wish i could have read it all in one hit. the ending was perfect and written beautifully. a good surprise at the end. well worth the read. ( )
  ritapt | Jun 13, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
What starts out as a bedtime story for two children turns into a wonderfully creative fairytale of a dragon and a princess. When the young milkmaid Jocelyn runs away to avoid marriage to the sewage cleaner she runs right into a dragon. Instead of eating her, as most would do, our dragon takes her to his castle and becomes her champion. Jocelyn finds that she is in a position to become a champion herself when the Black Knight captures the dragon. Jocelyn goes on a quest to help free the dragon of her dreams, and along the way makes some very interesting friends like Penn, the Prince of Theives. Well written with enough twists and turns to keep any child, or adult, interested.
  MyChristineHobbs | Dec 30, 2013 |
It was a warm day in July when Young Finnegan, Handsome-and-Tall, came bounding into the house.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 148271891X, Paperback)

Once, a long long time ago, a little bit before your grandmother was born and a little bit after the invention of fire, their was a princess called Jocelyn... In some families they had a special way of talking or a particular way of opening Christmas presents. In my family, we had the story. Set down for the first time is Pa Cheese's classic story of a brave princess who falls in love with a beautiful dragon.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:40 -0400)

Once, a long long time ago, a little bit before your grandmother was born and a little bit after the invention of fire, there was a princess called Jocelyn... In some families they had a special way of talking or a particular way of opening Christmas presents. In my family, we had the story. Set down for the first time is Pa Cheese's classic story of a brave princess who falls in love with a beautiful dragon.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David McLain's book Dragonbait was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,448,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible