Boondocks: Because I Know You Don't Read The…

Boondocks: Because I Know You Don't Read The Newspaper

by Aaron McGruder

Aaron McGruder's strip is Doonesbury and Peanuts smooshed together and made hipper, smarter, and much, much sharper. ( )
  amandrake | Jun 10, 2008 |
At first I was a little put off by the edgy anger of this new strip about a couple of young black boys who are transplanted from the inner city to the suburban neighborhood where there grandfather has moved. But it's grown on me; it's consistently funny, opinionated, and gives a point of view not seen in any other strip I know of, even the few other "black" strips I've seen. Still, I'd like it more if Huey and Riley were a little more multi-dimensional, and not so always the angry young socialist and the wanna-be thug. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 7, 2007 |

The Boondocks took the syndication world by storm. The notoriety landed Boondocks creator Aaron McGruder in publications ranging from Time magazine to People magazine which named him one of the "25 Most Intriguing People of '99. Centered around the experiences of two young African-American boys, Huey and Riley, who move from inner-city Chicago to the suburbs (or the "boondocks" to them), the strip fuses hip-hop sensibilities with Japanese anime-style drawings and a candid discussion of race. Funny yet revealing, the combination of superb art and envelope-pushing content provides one of the most unique strips ever.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:38 -0400)

Presents a collection of "Boondocks" comic strips, following the lives of Huey and Riley Freeman, two prepubescent African-American boys who have moved to an upscale, predominantly white neighborhood with their grandfather.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,211,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible