The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation by Sid…

The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation (2006)

by Sid Jacobson, Ernie Colón

Other authors: Lee Hamilton (Foreword), Thomas H. Kean (Foreword)

593None16,771 (3.84)36

For those who just cannot face the full report but are interested, this graphic presentation does an excellent job. In the forward to the book, the Commission's Chair, Thomas H. Kean and ViceChair, Lee H. Hamilton, support its format. They felt it was important that the findings of the Commission reach as many Americans as possible.
The graphic format serves the report well. The timelines of the four hijackings and responses to them shown simultaneously on fold out pages are a particular credit to the graphic format. ( )
  geraldinefm | Oct 12, 2013 |
Plot Summary: This work takes a very dense Report made by the US Government and makes it into an easily read, engaging text. The terrorists' planning of the attacks, an all-inclusive timeline of the tragedies, and the US's response before, during, and after the attacks were all included.

Teaching Connections: This would be very useful as part of a Unit on Informational Texts because of its engaging format. It could be used to discuss ways to make informational texts more approachable, and students could then compare the graphic novel to the actual 9/11 Report and study how the graphic novel highlights certain aspects and pulls pertinent information, skills which they could then use to break down informational texts for themselves.
Alternatively, or in addition, the novel, or part of the novel, could be used as (1) a part of a Unit on historical disasters, along with such books as The Diary of Anne Frank, Night, Code One, and Zlata's Diary or (2) a part of a unit on the epic hero (using first responders, etc. as examples). I might also use excerpts from the novel to explain the tragedy to English Language Learners.

Personal Response: I really enjoy the idea of making a volume as inaccessible as The 9/11 Report into the incredibly accessible graphic novel. Even so, I don't think that this is an exceptionally good example of a graphic novel. In many places it is readily apparent that converting the Report into graphic novel is exactly what was done. The art of the novel, therefore, is limited. I would not want to use this book as a first introduction of graphic novels to my students, and as getting one graphic novel past a principal is sometimes challenging enough, I would probably not use it in my secondary English classroom.
  whitneykni | Mar 23, 2013 |
This graphic novel, The 9/11 Report by Jacobson and Colon, is based off of the events that took place right before, during, and after September 11. The book gives the reader a detailed description of the different planes that went down that day. Two hit the World Trade Center, one hit the Pentagon, and one plane that was destined to crash into the White House landed in a field in Pennsylvania. The book shows how the U.S. government reacted and how there was a lack of communication and information after the attack. It also goes into detail about the terrorists and how they were able to plan such a terrible act on thousands of innocent lives. The background knowledge on the terrorists and how they could have been caught or stopped along the way is very chilling. The ultimate ending to the string of events was the U.S. going to war.

This book would be great to use in a middle school history classroom. It would be a great compliment to a 9/11 lesson and would give some students that were born after the event or maybe were too young to remember some extra background knowledge. The students could be shown newspaper clippings, magazines, and news footage (depending on the age and maturity of the students). After reading the 9/11 report I think it would be important for the students to see the memorial that now stands where the Twin Towers once were. The class should be reminded of the patriotic and togetherness of the country during that difficult time and how we persevered. Students could also use this book as a model or introduction for graphic novels and then create their own for the next history lesson.

Overall, I did enjoy reading the 9/11 report and I thought the authors did a great job capturing the feeling experienced during that time. It was a tedious read because it is a graphic novel, so there are not only words to read but many pictures and details to pay attention to. However, the illustrations were great and there were helpful timelines that help the reader keep all of the events in order. This book was extremely informative and brought many new details about 9/11 to my attention. For example, I was unaware that some of the terrorists went to flight school in the United States. I also did not know how terrible of a job our government and agencies did on communicating information to each other. It was shocking how unprepared our country was for an attack and how we missed many hints that should have been tell-tale signs. I would recommend this for anyone to read as well as for a middle school or high school teacher to use in their classroom.
  StephBecker | Mar 9, 2013 |
"The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation" by Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon relays the events of and especially leading up to the terrorist attack committed against the United States on September 11,2001. The graphic novel details the ideas and development of the Al- Qaeda group and especially Osama Bin Laden. It then describes the hesitancy of the government to act against the terrorist group before the attack actually happened, and the inefficiency of officials on the day of the tragedy.
I think this novel presents many concerns as well as teaching connections that could be made when teaching a high school class. One concern I have regarding the novel is that even high school age students would be so caught up in the illustrations that they would not be able to grasp the full meaning of the text. This concern leads to a possible teaching connections. I think it would be a good idea to have the students first go through the novel and study the illustrations without reading the words at first. Then, the teacher could have them write a paragraph about what they think the novel might be about, just from looking at the pictures. This would not only allow them to develop writing skills, but it would also make the words of the novel easier to hone in on when they got ready to actually read it.
I really enjoyed reading this novel. I was very young when 9/11 happened (second grade), and as a consequence I only knew the very basics of what happened. Reading this novel gave me a new insight as to the events leading up to and surrounding the terrorist attack. I would consider teaching this book in my classroom, but as I said earlier, only to a high school class. The students would also have to be at least somewhat familiar with the event, and I think having lots of background information would help their overall understanding.
  KatieGunter | Mar 7, 2013 |
The 9/11 report is a book that describe the events that took place before, during, and after the terrorist attack. The book talks about what was taking place in the airplanes when they were hijacked and the responses of the government while that was taking place. It provides a good insight of the reasons and warnings given to the government. It also provides information of how the attack was planned and carried out without the government considering it like a threat. There are different ways a teacher can use this book to teach students about the recent history of the US and how the government has improved over the last 10 years. It can also be used to teach about some global issues that we are facing today such as the conflicts in the Middle East and how it affects the US. I really did enjoy reading the book because it provided important information without too many details. I liked that it was written much like a comic book. I did find it a little hard to follow but overall I believe it’s a good book that can be used in a classroom to give students some background on the events that were taking place during that time. This book made realize that we always need to be ready and never let our guard down. “We must plan for the next attack. This is perhaps the best way to honor the memories of those we lost that day” (pg. 98). We need to always expect the unexpected. ( )
  MagdaAju | Mar 7, 2013 |

Sid Jacobsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colón, Erniemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, LeeForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kean, Thomas H.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
"This book is dedicated to the memory of those who lost their lives in the tragedy of 9/11. We hope this book can help the rest of us to understand better what happened that day and in the years leading up to it."
Before 8 o'clock on Tuesday, September 11, 2001, a pleasant and cloudless morning in Boston, two planes, both Boeing 767s, were about to take off from Logan Airport ... and change the history of this nation.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0809057395, Paperback)

Book Description
The 9/11 Report for Every American

On December 5, 2005, the 9/11 Commission issued its final report card on the government’s fulfillment of the recommendations issued in July 2004: one A, twelve Bs, nine Cs, twelve Ds, three Fs, and four incompletes. Here is stunning evidence that Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colón, with more than sixty years of experience in the comic-book industry between them, were right: far, far too few Americans have read, grasped, and demanded action on the Commission's investigation into the events of that tragic day and the lessons America must learn.

Using every skill and storytelling method Jacobson and Colón have learned over the decades, they have produced the most accessible version of the 9/11 Report. Jacobson’s text frequently follows word for word the original report, faithfully captures its investigative thoroughness, and covers its entire scope, even including the Commission's final report card. Colón's stunning artwork powerfully conveys the facts, insights, and urgency of the original. Published on the fifth anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the United States, an event that has left no aspect of American foreign or domestic policy untouched, The 9/11 Report puts at every American's fingertips the most defining event of the century.

"Never before have I seen a nonfiction book as beautifully and compellingly written and illustrated as The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation. I cannot recommend it too highly. It will surely set the standard for all future works of contemporary history, graphic or otherwise, and should be required reading in every home, school and library." --Stan Lee A Statement on The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation
by Sid Jacobson and Ernie ColónThe cave paintings in Altamira, Spain, tell stories. Mostly they tell tales of the hunt. Drawn during the Paleolithic Stone Age, they still amaze us with their lucidity and directness. As an artist, and as an editor and writer in the graphic medium, we each pay homage to those delineators and interpreters of experience. They offered accounts of what happened and provided a way of remembering, honoring, and learning. When retold by the fire's flickering light, these stories must have lent the drawings a compelling, virtual movement. There is something eerie, but deeply gratifying, in knowing that a direct line runs from our contemporary comic art to these earliest efforts to record and convey what happened. Storyteller, audience, drawings depicting continuity of event: it all sounds familiar. In a culture that has become the most visually oriented in the history of humankind, comics retain the original concept of storytelling and remain a potent force of information. Read more

A graphic novel of the report of the 9/11 Commission reveals the Commission's findings regarding the terrorist attacks on the United States and its recommendations concerning what the United States government needs to do in its wake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible