American Poetry: The Nineteenth Century,…

American Poetry: The Nineteenth Century, Volume Two: Herman Melville to…

by John Hollander (Editor)

"Herman Melville to Trumbull Stickney", "American indian poetry", "Folk songs and spirituals"
  IICANA | May 9, 2016 |
Trumbull Stickney.
Parodies, dialect poems, song lyrics, and children's verse evoke the liveliness of an era when poetry was accessible to all. Here are poems that played a crucial role in American public life, whether to arouse the national conscience (Edwin Markham's "The Man with the Hoe") or to memorialize the golden age of the national pastime (Ernest Lawrence Thayer's "Casey at the Bat").
  dx2krudop | May 7, 2009 |
The poetry in this volume is on the mediocre side. It could have been a smaller volume, or better yet, combined with volume one with some of its works removed. On the plus side, this volume contains a nice collection of Dickinson.

One of the problems with this collection is that some of the more interesting works, such as Stephen Crane's, are excerpted and left me feeling I had missed out on something.

Another problem is the inclusion of American Indian "poetry". While the ejaculations and simplistic utterances of savages are somewhat interesting, they have no place in a volume of poetry.

I was inclined to rate this volume much lower until I reached the last section. The section on "Folk Songs and Spirituals" (with which I would group the few works by Stephen Foster which appear earlier in the book) makes the book worth owning. This is a very nice set indeed. ( )
  jhale | Dec 30, 2007 |
This is an omnibus unique to the Library of America; therefore, all CK facts apply to this publication only.

Included in the anthology is newly researched biographical sketches of each poet, a year-by-year chronology of poets and poetry from 1800-1900, and extensive notes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,999,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible