The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little…

This is the 7th book in the Dark Tower graphic novel series and was the creepiest and most disturbing book in the series to date. I actually found it intriguing and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Roland’s horse is dying and he decides to stop by a small town to get help. However the town is seemingly deserted. That’s when Roland is attacked by slow mutants and carried away by them. Roland is sure of his demise, but then the slow mutants are stopped by the Sisters of Eluria. The Sisters of Eluria take care of Roland and nurse him back to health; however there is something very sinister about these Sisters.

I thoroughly enjoyed this installment in the Dark Tower graphic novel series. The story is very focused, interesting, and more cohesive than previous trade paperbacks.

The Sisters of Eluria are truly creepy and pretty much an absolute nightmare. They alternate between appearing as beautiful compassionate women and hideous corpse-like monsters that feed on human flesh.

I loved watching Roland struggle against them and prevail (with unlikely help). I also enjoyed that there is a sweet little (and somewhat twisted) love story in here.

The illustration was beautifully detailed and full color; I really enjoyed it a lot. The book was easy to follow and read.

This is definitely an adult’s only graphic novel; it’s very violent, there is nudity, and sex in here as well as torture.

Overall one of the best installments in this graphic novel series yet. I will definitely continue reading this series. This graphic novel series is recommended to those who enjoy dark fantasy graphic novels.
  krau0098 | Jul 17, 2015 |
Ever since I read King's original short story, The Little Sisters of Eluria, almost 10 years ago I've regarded it as a lackluster addition to the Dark Tower family. Heck, the short stories within the DT novels themselves have more scope. In retrospect, Little Sisters is closer in tone to the series' first book, The Gunslinger, of which many fans consider to be an outlier (myself included).

This DT comic, however, does justice to an otherwise forgettable part of Roland's journey. The artwork and symbolic additions breathe life into the words in a way the short story just doesn't pull off. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Jul 15, 2013 |
I enjoy this story for what it is - a little addendum to the Dark Tower series. This adaptation is well done, and I really like the artwork. I like the fact that, this volume at least, seems to have moved away from the jagged, sketchy type art that the previous ones have had. Looking at Roland's face in this volume wasn't looking at a nest of skintone and shadow - I could actually see his features.

One thing that kind of bothered me was the doctors. If I recall correctly, and I may not be (it's been a while), but the doctors are supposed to be beetles, large ones. In this, they look more like crickets, or locusts.. Not that there's anything wrong with changing things up... but I guess that means that more changes will coming in later volumes. If they continue on that long.

I digress. Good story, good adaptation. Goodness me, look at the time!

/end. ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Furth, RobinAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
David, PeterAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the Graphic Novel Adaption of The Little Sisters of Eluria, first published as a short story in Legends, then reissued in a limited edition illustrated by Michael Whelan from Donald M. Grant. Do not combine with the Donald M. Grant edition.

Near death from an attack by slow mutants, Roland Deschain is taken in by a group of nuns who specialize in anything but the healing arts. These hideous, corpse-like creatures-the Little Sisters of Eluria -have murder on their twisted minds. And in his current condition, there's almost nothing the last Gunslinger can do to prevent their tender mercies from taking hold.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible