The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage by Philip…

The Book of Dust: La Belle Sauvage (2017)

by Philip Pullman

Series: His Dark Materials (prequel 3), The Book of Dust (1)

When Malcolm finds a secret message inquiring about a dangerous substance called Dust, he finds himself embroiled in a tale of intrigue featuring enforcement agents from the Magisterium, a woman with an evil monkey daemon, and a baby named Lyra.

English (66)  Dutch (1)  All languages (67)
Brilliant and beautiful. Why can't they all be like this? ( )
  slmr4242 | Oct 16, 2019 |
Didn't enjoy quite as much as the first three books, but eventually got into it and wrapped up in the story. ( )
  seph | Oct 13, 2019 |
As a prologue to the His Dark Materials series it fills in the gaps that are left in the wider story of the church and Dust while still sticking true to the "young adult goes on an adventure" formula. About 3/4s of the way through it becomes a big bogged down and repetitious, but overall a very sharply written, quickly moving plot as you'd expect from this author. Someone who hasn't read the original series would still find this book interesting and for those who have, there is the added enjoyment of seeing familiar characters from a different perspective and getting a lot of lore and background information that was only hinted at before. ( )
  collingsruth | Sep 17, 2019 |
Preeminently forgettable. Looking back at my reading list, I completely forgot this was written, let alone that I had read it. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 7, 2019 |
I truly enjoyed the book & its narration by Michael Sheen. I didn't read far into The Golden Compass, because at the time that NOS was at that reading level, the content was not appropriate for him yet. We tabled it; I never returned. I may read the His Dark Materials series if I love the Book of Dust series.

Elements of La Belle Sauvage bring to mind Diane Setterfield's Once Upon a River, which I read in January and found even more captivating. ( )
  joyblue | Aug 26, 2019 |
I recognize that my expectations are impossibly high and that, in literature as well as in romance, you cannot return to the exact feeling you had before. I’d like to think that Pullman is biding his time, laying down the groundwork for what is yet to come.

And even with its longueurs, the book is full of wonder. [...] It’s a stunning achievement, the universe Pullman has created and continues to build on. All that remains is to sit tight and wait for the next installment.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Sarah Lyall (Oct 18, 2017)

The Greeks permeate his writing. Like Odysseus, his new hero, Malcolm, is on a self-appointed quest, fighting off enemies from his boat. (He’s also very unlike Odysseus, being 11 years old, ginger-haired and partial, like Pullman, to woodworking and meat pies.) “The Book of Dust” has other touchstones too: William Blake, the occult, ancient civilizations, East Asia and a eight-minute piece by Borodin called “In the Steppes of Central Asia.” Most of all, Edmund Spenser’s epic, 16th-century allegory, “The Faerie Queene.” Pullman copies the structure of “The Faerie Queene” — strange encounter after strange encounter — but thankfully not its style. When I admitted how I had struggled with the countless pages of archaic verse, Pullman shouted, gleeful, from his seat: “So did I! Couldn’t read it. Couldn’t read it at all until I was doing this.” His own novel is more readable, and earthier, locked into reality by character and geography, Malcolm and Oxford.

Philip Pullmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wormell, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jude
Three miles up the river Thames from the centre of Oxford............

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,858,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible