The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan

This is a short in the ongoing adventures of a group of thieves. In this one, they're seeking the treasure of a jester who didn't much like the people he entertained. He amassed great wealth, and had an elaborate, hidden tomb built. There's a map to the tomb, but it was torn into eight pieces hidden in different places.

At the time this story opens, our little band of thieves has acquired the final piece of the map, and is nearly there. They now have to figure out all the tricks and traps the jester used to protect his corpse and his treasure.

It's a puzzle story, and to reach the treasure they have to figure out not just what traps there are, but what the jester was thinking. Did he intend to stop anyone from finding his treasure? Or did he just intend to frustrate the people he hated? And how?

Light but fun.

I bought this book. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
The Jester (The Riyria Chronicles #2.5) by Michael J. Sullivan is a great short story that keeps you guessing and trying to out smart a dwarf that is dead. The dwarf made a trap and our heroes landed in it, now they must make their way out alive but first they must survive the traps and puzzles. Great short story! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jan 28, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer Title: The Jester Series: Riyria Chronicles Author: Michael Sullivan Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 33 Synopsis: A short story about Royce and Hadrian having an adventure with a Widow, a Pig Farmer and a whole mountain filled with traps to protect a mysterious treasure. My Thoughts: This drops you in right at the end of the story and with a few deft conversations fills you in on what is going on, but not to the point that I would have liked, ie, I wanted a full novel out of this story! I like Riyria so this little tidbit helped feed the hunger until the next book comes out [whenever that may be]. It is a standalone story as any references to other adventures are explained but it makes for a fuller, more enjoyable read if you have already read the previous Revelations & then Chronicles series. That being said, if you want to check out the Riyria series with no commitment, this story allows just that very admirably. I took 1 star off because I would have loved to see this expanded into a full length novel. The material is certainly there for that. So maybe that is actually a plus? " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This was a cute story and I liked listening to it in audio format. ( )
  JackDaniel42 | Aug 14, 2016 |
Very fun short story about the heroes of the Riyria Revelations--Royce and Hadrian. They are hired to retrieve a cleverly hidden treasure that no one else has been able to find. Trapped underground they fight to escape—will they survive and get the treasure? A nice way to spend more time with some favorite characters. ( )
  bluebird_ | Jan 13, 2016 |
Hadrian discovered the most fascinating thing about plummeting in total darkness wasn't the odd sense of euphoria from the free fall or the abject terror from anticipating sudden death but that he had the time to contemplate death.

WHO WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH?
Stop me if you’ve heard this one. A thief, a candlemaker, an ex-mercenary, and a pig farmer walk into a trap…and what happens is no joke. When Riyria is hired to retrieve a jester’s treasure, Royce and Hadrian must match wits with a dwarf who proves to be anything but a fool. Difficult choices will need to be made, and in the end those who laugh last do so because they are the only ones to survive.

Michael J. Sullivan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,882,565 books! | Top bar: Always visible