The Free by Willy Vlautin

The Free (2014)

by Willy Vlautin

Willy Vlautin has been called "the patron saint of the sick and the sad" — and that's what I liked about this book. He "gets" the lives of regular people trying hard to get on and get by. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
Excellent craft. Closely told stories of people struggling to survive, and doing it with style, grace, struggle and loss.

I wonder who recommended? Maria's Bookshop I think. Maybe The King's English.

Glad I read it. ( )
  Mark-Bailey | Jul 1, 2017 |

I wonder who recommended? Maria's Bookshop I think. Maybe The King's English.

Glad I read it. ( )
  torreyhouse | Jul 1, 2017 |
Have to say i really liked the characters better than the book itself. the sci-fi themed journey of the soldier in a coma didnt work for me. However, I read this in a day and enjoyed spending time in the company of the characters. ( )
  njgriffin | Jan 2, 2017 |
This is simply excellent writing. Beautiful character development and straightforward storytelling kept me rapt from beginning to end. You may need a few Kleenexes at the end but this book will both break your heart and make it celebrate the joy of classically expert writing. Loved it. ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
For the a Patron Saint of Nurses,
Camillus de Lellis

Severely wounded in the Iraq war, Leroy Kervin has lived in a group home for eight years. Frustrated by the simplest daily routines, he finds his existence has become unbearable. An act of desperation helps him disappear deep into his mind, into a world of romance and science fiction, danger and adventure where he is whole once again. Freddie McCall, the night man at Leroy's group home, works two jobs yet still can't make ends meet. He's lost his wife and kids, and the house is next. Medical bills have buried him in debt, a situation that propels him to consider a lucrative '' and dangerous -- proposition. Pauline Hawkins, a nurse, cares for the sick and wounded, including Leroy. She also looks after her mentally ill elderly father. Yet she remains emotionally removed, until she meets a young runaway who touches something deep and unexpected inside her.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible