The Moon Sisters by Therese Walsh

The Moon Sisters

by Therese Walsh

I won this from somewhere, and it was great! I will probably read Walsh's other stuff when I get around to it . . . ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
Read this book for 52 Weeks 52 Books 2014.10. Read on my kindle with whisper sync.

After the death of their mother, Olivia and Jazz set out to make the trip their mother could not bring herself to take. Their journey becomes a way not only to deal and accept the death of their mother but to find each other. They are on a journey one willing and sure this is the right thing to do the other heels dug in believes the trip is nothing more than a flight of fancy.

I found many wonderful passages that spoke to me throughout the book, here are just a few of my favorites:

pg 4 "If you live your whole life hoping and dreaming the wrong things, what does that mean about your whole life?"

pg 24 "It was okay to believe in things that others didn't believe in. It was okay not to believe, too.

pg 43 :You should always think about what you say before you say it, always mean what you do before you do it. Always be sure of yourself, and consider the repercussions."

pg 222 "Maybe wishing made it less likely that we'd try to make things come true on our own. Maybe wishing made something inside us go lax."

Very enjoyable read!

pg 268 "Maybe I wasn't so stuck. All those prisoners stayed put, after all, when they could've run. Because they were safe where they were, or because leaving was a risk." ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
There was a bittersweet sadness to this book. It's about loss, death and moving to the stages of grief. In one way or another.

Oliva is 18, Jazz 22. Their mother just killed herself. Their father started drinking. Olivia can smell colors and stuff, and has blinded herself looking at the sun. Jazz, thinks she is the only normal one. They are now a messed up family who can't bare to deal with the loss.

The story is told with flashbacks and with the story of course moving forward. It's also told in a letters their mother wrote. The book is about a journey Olivia sets out on, to get her mother's ashes to a special place her mother never dared to go. And Jazz goes after her.

They move through their sorrow, they get angry, they find closure. The journey also take a darker turn, who can you really trust? Something is hidden in the shadows and we get that story too.

I enjoyed this book, and I liked how it showed grief, and love. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an early copy of this book...and kept picking it up and putting it back down again. I finally finished it today. The book follows two sisters, Jazz and Olivia, who are polar opposites. Their mother recently died in what looks like a suicide and the sisters and their father are reeling from guilt. Jazz and Olivia go on a journey to visit a place that their mother always wanted to go to but never did. Over the course of the journey, we learn about Beth (their mother) through letters that she wrote to her father but never sent. Things happen and the sisters learn to understand each other better.

The story itself was fine. I didn't really care for either of the sisters for nearly 2/3 of the book. The character of Hobbs kept me interested in moving forward with the story. The story of his past seemed out of place in this book but, since I liked his character, I was okay with it. Not a bad book, just not one for me. ( )
  walterqchocobo | Nov 17, 2015 |
How to put my thoughts on page- that is the question. The Moon Sisters was mesmerizing, as promised. It pulled me in quickly, then held on for the duration. Not typically a novel I would be drawn too, I was surprised that it had such a strong grip on me. Jazz and Olivia are bold and multifaceted characters. Walsh created two beautiful souls with those two girls. It has been ages since I read a book with such gorgeously strong female characters. The stunning character work didn't end there- Hobbs, a train hopper that helps the girls on their journey, was also a complex character. Rough and scary exterior with a soft heart and a deep history.
The central part of this story is their mother, but it expands to family as the tale moves forward. Family dynamics, responsibilities, and loyalty all spring up throughout this novel. Each is enhanced by the depth of character in the novel. The five stages of grief are the section headings in The Moon Sisters- they are the only times that they are so pointedly brought up, however each stage is woven in the stories the characters tell. The subtle shifts in the way they share their stories and move through the days that this novel takes place, move them through the stages of grief and through the story.
The adventure that the girls find themselves on- looking for hope and guidance- is remarkable. It brings out so much in their character and you can feel the girls growing as the story ebbs and flows. It makes Olivia grow up and it softens Jazz. Hobbs finds answers to his own unasked questions as well.
I was amazed at how lyrical this novel was as well. It was magical. The novel deals with grief. I have had a very small share of grief, thankfully, at this point in my life, so I was unsure as to whether or not I would find a connection with this novel. Somewhere, I did. I'm not sure if it was Jazz and her softening, or Olivia and her growing up, but within those pages I did see a bit of myself in years past. Therese Walsh wrote a book that speaks to you- whether or not you've experienced monumental grief. I highly recommend this novel. ( )
  littlebirdreads | Feb 10, 2015 |
What one commonly takes as "the reality". . . by no means signifies something fixed, but rather something that is ambiguous. . . There are many realities.
— Albert Hofmann

Action is the antidote to despair.
 — Joan Baez
This book is dedicated to Riley, for one hundred read-throughs and one-hundred-and-one sage comments; and to Liam, for one thousand rounds of laughter.

And to my sisters, who are as different as the moon and the sun.
The night before the worst day of my life, I dreamed the sun went dark and ice cracked every mirror in the house, but I didn't take it for a warning.
Dreams like feet, better than knees.

After their mother's probable suicide, sisters Olivia and Jazz take steps to move on with their lives. Jazz, logical and forward-thinking, decides to get a new job, but spirited, strong-willed Olivia—who can see sounds, taste words, and smell sights—is determined to travel to the remote setting of their mother's unfinished novel to lay her spirit properly to rest.

Already resentful of Olivia’s foolish quest and her family’s insistence upon her involvement, Jazz is further aggravated when they run into trouble along the way and Olivia latches to a worldly train-hopper who warns he shouldn’t be trusted. As they near their destination, the tension builds between the two sisters, each hiding something from the other, until they are finally forced to face everything between them and decide what is really important.
Life sucks, then you die/
That's the way the story goes/
Unless it isn't.

"After their mother's probable suicide, sisters Olivia and Jazz take steps to move on with their lives. Jazz, logical and forward-thinking, decides to get a new job, but spirited, strong-willed Olivia--who can see sounds, taste words, and smell sights--is determined to travel to the remote setting of their mother's unfinished novel to lay her spirit properly to rest"--Amazon.com.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Therese Walsh's book The Moon Sisters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible