Frigid by J. Lynn

Frigid

by J. Lynn

Series: Frigid (1)

2201452,892 (3.57)1

I've reached the point in my reading that when Jennifer L. Armentrout writes something, I read it regardless of the genre. While I've never read any of her adult literature, I did read her first New Adult read [b:Wait for You|17314430|Wait for You (Wait for You, #1)|J. Lynn|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1363819713s/17314430.jpg|23981243] which I absolutely loved. Because I had read the extremely mature Wait For You novel before I read this one, I went into this book thinking I would get the same type of read. Only I didn't.

This book takes on more of a romantic suspense New Adult spin instead of a drama/tragedy filled plot. Which is absolutely fine because I love her other romantic-suspense series like [b:Obsidian|12578077|Obsidian (Lux, #1)|Jennifer L. Armentrout|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328275091s/12578077.jpg|17588854] that has a similar feel to it; but I often felt like this book's characters were immature. While reading I got the impression that Sydney was just out of high school and not 21 years old like she is supposed to be. I think I also take a bit of personal offence to this because I am the same age as Sydney and I know very few people (at least I like to thing so) who act like high schoolers in their fourth year of university like she does.

Like most friends who are secretly in love with each other, Syd and Kyler's problems steam from a lack of communication and assuming what the other one thinks. This can either be cute or annoying and in this book it tended more towards annoying. Which is why the suspense part really added to this story. Without it, I think I wouldn't have enjoyed this book that much.

The book was super quick but I think it's a great start to the rest of the series. I'm excited to learn more about Syd and Kyler's friends in the next novels more because I really liked their personalities more so than them if truth be told.

Overall: I think readers might get frustrated with Syd and Kyler but there were some really cute moments that made up for their sometimes annoying tendencies. If you like Jennifer L. Armentrout reads, pick this up but if you are new to her work, check out Wait for You instead.

Check out more spoiler-free book and series reviews on my blog SERIESous Book Reviews as well as read book series recaps!

seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
I felt a reading slump coming on, so I knew I had to reach for a book by one of my favorite authors! So, I decided it was a good time to pick up a JLA book. I was not disappointed.

I started this last night and I found myself finishing it last night. When I looked at the clock it was 2 in the morning. So beware, if you start this, you will not want to put it down.

This is about Syd and Kyler, two college friends who have been best friends since they were little. They are both trying to figure out their feelings for each other (everyone else can see it, but they still have not). However; this is not just another "I love my best friend and they do not know" plot. There are some twists and turns along the way that will hook you in even more.

If you like romance and a little bit of thrill, then you need to read this. I loved it! ( )
  SimplyKelina | Dec 30, 2016 |
Somehow I jumped into another "just friends" rom. That's like three in a row.

First off, can we take a moment to reflect on the lead guy's name: "Kyler". Like his parents couldn't agree on Kyle or Tyler. Sigh...

Anyway, this was cute and fluffy. I honestly could have done without the whole side story with Zach, I didn't think it was necessary. For me, I would have preferred to see that time spent on growth from Kyler regarding his man-whore ways which are going to be hard to break, regardless of what his "reasons" were. It was a bit hard for me to see this relationship working out at the end, and much easier for me to see him slipping up and ruining the whole thing down the road. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
What an intense story written by J. Lynn, and I'm sure I don't have to say she who goes by another name. I am a big fan of 'her' young adult novels and as J. Lynn her new adults novels have find a place in my heart as well. Frigid was a quick but absorbing read.

I liked that the story was able to pull me in and kept me interested, even with most of the book was just Sydney and Kyler. They were both snowed in alone with rare interaction with other people and the sexual tension between them was so tangible I was anxious for something to happen. Speaking of snowed in, the title of the book was very sly of Ms. Lynn, there is a definite double meaning there.

Kyler was the usual man whore you find in some of these new adult novel, I have to say I didn't see why he chose to be that way. When he said why he was it was the stupidest reason ever. Not that there are good reasons to be a man whore. I didn't think he did a good job at making sure his 'skanks' respected Sydney since he care so much for her. He really could have done a better job at protecting her from their dismissing of her existence in his life. Why did he think it was best to not seek out a relationship with Sydney when he feels so strongly for her? He was also as clueless as a guy can be when a girl is so in love with him.

Sydney has been in love with Kyler forever. She doesn't think he likes her as more than a best friend even though he always chase away any interested guy. Sydney was also the typical insecure girl, well I should say woman but she comes across as more of a teenager. She never says what's really on her mind to Kyler and I'm not sure but maybe her being a psychology major should have clued her in on the importance of communication if not common sense.

There was a bit of a suspense/mystery feel to some parts of the story. While stuck at the lodge Sydney and Kyler were being stalked and attempts were made on their life. It was pretty easy to figure out who the culprit was right away, even though I thought I might be wrong. That alone added some of the intense feeling to the story for me.

Frigid was a good book with very good writing, and interesting characters. I always love it when a lead character have a supportive gal pal that can knock some sense into her. And Sydney did have that in Andrea. And Kyler wasn't all bad, he really cared for Sydney and did get his head out of his ass and did man up eventually.
  GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
I am very picky with my romance novels because it isn't my favorite genre. I need a story to focus more on plot with romance as a back story to really enjoy it. I loved Jennifer Armentrout's Lux series however, so I thought I would give this a try. Frigid is one of those perfect beach reads. It does have a plot, but not a particularly deep one. It was also a bit predictable and at times as I find many romances are. However... it was a fun read too and did have a bit of humor and drama to elevate the story. I liked the characters and the romance developed at a decent pace. If you like new adult romance, you will enjoy it. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |

For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love. Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have. But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,319,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible