Dangerous Passage: A Novel (Southern Crimes)…

Dangerous Passage: A Novel (Southern Crimes) (Volume 1)

by Lisa Harris

Not the worst book I read, but not the best. I was actually going to stop at page 114, but I needed a distraction, so I started reading again.

It's a slow read. By that I mean it slowly gets to the point, the points aren't all connected, and I wasn't invested in the characters.

I've never read a murder mystery novel in which the characters actively prayed to God. The story was set in Georgia, but I've never encountered officers who were so devout in their beliefs.

Oh, this book must be part of s series because it started in the middle of a murder investigation; one that wasn't solved at the end of the book. If it is part of a series, I'm sure I will not read the others. ( )
  laura.w.douglas | Mar 9, 2017 |
3. 5 stars, but chose to round it off to 4.
Torn from a well earned day off, Avery North is called to investigate what may be the second in a serial killing. She and medical examiner Jackson Bryant work to solve this mystery, which brings them into the dark world of human trafficking, and being a romantic suspense novel, naturally it is rife with emotional tugs in many directions.

Not my usual sort of read, but I have been in a slump and decided to google Christian award winning books. This was nominated for a Christy award, and was more intense and on the edge of your seat than I'd anticipated from Christian novels. I liked the second one a bit better, and will do a review as well (short to save my thumbs). ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Dangerous Passage is a Romance Suspense novel with a refreshingly Christian world view. Avery North is a young single mother who also is a detective in the Atlanta police department. Her marriage to a fellow police officer ended abruptly when he was killed on the job several years earlier. She is torn between getting back into the dating world and the strong feeling that she has way too much on her plate already without dealing with that distraction. However, the "distraction" is Jackson Bryant, the medical examiner, and it appears that they will be working a case together.

A second young Asian girl's body has been discovered in a back alley in an aging neighborhood in Atlanta. There is no ID on the girl, but she shares a mysterious tattoo with a previous victim. Could there be another connection? Could a serial killer be targeting these girls? But why would Avery and her family be threatened as well? The investigation must be onto something big, but what exactly is it?

Before long, a number of clues develop and some seem contradictory. An autopsy reveals a strong clue that the second girl may not be who she has been assumed to be, and the likely suspect is looking more unlikely every day. This may be more than murder, perhaps it is evidence that human trafficking is much closer to home than Avery would have ever suspected.

Lisa Harris has written multiple books, winning the Best Inspirational Suspense Novel Award for 2011 from Romantic Times. She and her family have served as missionaries in Africa where she has seen how much difference one can make in the lives of others by stepping out of one's comfort zone and getting involved with those who aren't able to help themselves. This is the first in her Southern Crimes series. the second is Fatal Exchange.

I received an e-book version of Dangerous Passage from BookShout in exchange for a review. ( )
  vcg610 | Oct 25, 2014 |
Dangerous Passage by Lisa Harris is By The Book’s March selection and is just the type of novel my book club loves — a romantic suspense set just up the road from us in Atlanta. We will discuss this on Friday night. Have you read it? Let us know what you think.

Avery North is a police detective with a lot on her plate. A widow raising a preteen daughter and investigating her brother’s murder in her off hours, Avery has a lot to balance. Now her days are filled with another murder investigation and the attentions of medical examiner Jackson Bryant. Add to that some troubling information about human trafficking and family drama, and you get a complex, interesting and endearing character. Dangerous Passage is fast-paced, challenging the reader to keep up with the twists and turns of the case and Avery’s life. And not all of the mysteries are resolved, making this reader eager for book 2, Fatal Exchange.

Fans of Terri Blackstock or DiAnn Mills will like Harris’ style. Although the plot is strong, this novel’s strength is its characterizations. The reader comes to care about her characters just as much as wanting to find out just whodunit. I am looking forward to the thoughts of my group on this one. I, for one, enjoyed it.

Recommended. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Mar 14, 2014 |
Complex Characters with story that will keep you guessing

Unlike a simple romance, the characters in Dangerous Passage are not young and flighty. Widowed, with a teenage daughter, Detective North deals with her grief, teen angst, and a new relationship. These relationships make the story more complex and interesting, then the murder mystery becomes more than a simple murder mystery. The suspense level is low, but the mystery complexity is high enough to make up for it. The focus of the book is on a crime that is growing across the world, human trafficking. This book has a strong Christian aspect.

I recommend this book to lovers of good clean police mysteries, with a nice romance along side. ( )
  Glenajo | Feb 9, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080072190X, Paperback)

When two Jane Does are killed on the outskirts of Atlanta, Georgia, detective and behavioral specialist Avery North discovers they share something in common--a tattoo of a magnolia on their shoulders. Suspecting a serial killer, Avery joins forces with medical examiner Jackson Bryant to solve the crimes and prevent another murder. But it doesn't take long for them to realize that there is much more to the case than meets the eye. As they venture deep into a sinister world of human trafficking, Avery and Jackson are taken to the very edge of their abilities--and their hearts.

Dangerous Passage exposes a fully-realized and frightening world where every layer peeled back reveals more challenges ahead. Romantic suspense fans will be hooked from the start by Lisa Harris's first installment of the new Southern Crimes series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:50 -0400)

When two Jane Does are killed on the outskirts of Atlanta, Georgia, behavioral specialist Avery North discovers they share something in common-- a tattoo of a magnolia on their shoulders. She joins forces with medical examiner Jackson Bryant, but it doesn't take long for them to realize that there is much more to the case than meets the eye. As they venture deep into a sinister world of human trafficking, Avery and Jackson are taken to the very edge of their abilities-- and their hearts.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible