Moonlight by Lisa Kessler

Moonlight

by Lisa Kessler

Series: Moon (1)

"4 out of 5 stars! All of Lana’s life she has felt like an outsider, but after dealing with her mysterious illness that happens monthly (around the time of the new moon) for the past seven years she feels more out of place than usual. However, after learning that her doctors had plans on institutionalizing her she has been on the run trying to stay ahead of those planning to kidnap her.

While stopping to get some supper in Reno, Lana unwittingly meets Adam (a werewolf and the heir to his Pack) who is dealing with getting his enemies (the jaguars) out of his territory and had planned to kill her too as she was unknowingly his enemy, a jaguar. That is before realizing she is his mate. Together they try to maneuver their new world while dealing with those against their relationship at all sides and those still coming after Lana. Will they be able to overcome it all, while staying together or will be their struggles to much for them?

This addicting novel hooked me from the beginning. With Lana’s sass and Adam’s charming determination..."

Read more of this review and THREE TEASERS here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2016/09/feasted-on-moon-series-book-1.... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Sep 10, 2016 |
First off I want to tell everyone who thinks they are going to point their fingers in my direction and go "HAHAHA YOU love hot shifter reads!!" Ya ya ya ya, I think I can no longer fall back on the "I have Harlequin PTSD" excuse anymore. Writers like Lisa Kessler have driven the flashbacks far back into a cobweb infested corner of my demented mind. I loved this book. I read three books of a paranormal- nature last week, one was my #TEAMVAMPIRE review book, this one and probably should have read Moonlight last because it ruined me for the other shifter book I read.

How do I love it? Well let me count the ways, or at least give you some examples..
Lana

Though written in a somewhat formulaic paranormal romance style of an alpha female meets alpha male and butts heads until she realizes she needs him to rescue her... Lana still ends up making the story fresh for me. There is no hint of a churned out story, Lisa Kessler has a gift.

Lana is wonderful! She has survived after being a foster kid and never fitting in, and as she has gotten older she starts to have black outs once a month during the new moon. Why do I like this about her? Well I like how she deals with it, proactively! Sure it gets her hunted, when truthfully it is her who could be hunting them *wink* but this, this is one of the reasons I adore Lana. She is one HELL of go getter!
Adam

Adam is actually a blend of the myriad of alpha male characters you find in paranormal romances. He is a brooding, indecisive individual who always wants to save the day and the woman he is with. Driven by the rules of the pack and his immediate attraction to Lana, which is beyond his control, his personality sometimes seems to go on Swing Ride for a bit. Made me wonder if he would ever get off! There were times I wanted to choke him!

But I was going to tell you what I love about him... I love the way he loves her. So passionately with every ounce of his being. I love how he loves his family, though will walk away from her for the woman he is meant to spend his life with, despite their differences.

What makes this completely different than most cookie cutter paranormal romances is Lisa Kessler switches back and forth from Lana and Adam's point of view. Each chapter is labeled with whose name (turn) it is and we see each of their inner struggles from their voice, not from the outside of what is going on around them. Lana's struggle to let her guard down, let Adam in and allow herself to be loved. Adam's struggle, as I mentioned, to be part of the pack or to embrace his destiny with Lana and her Jaguar shifter and to let Lana be her own woman, along with many others. It was very refreshing and very well done.

I have read a lot of books with shifters, I don't live on a hill looking down at all the urban fantasy books with my high literature and (shoving my zombie books under the couch) umm nose in the air, I swear! *snickering* Seriously! But I am not a paranormal romance reader unless it really has a good hook. Yep, I think I am taking Lisa on my next fishing trip, we will clean up and I will have a freezer full! She had me (excuse the cliche) hook line and ......... totally hot yummy werewolf ...sinker! Though I gotta admit, I liked the villains! Gotta love me the bad boys and girls, no matter how horrible they are to the team! Of course, who led those guys wrong? Just how bad were they? Could it be those who are chasing Lana? Oh heck.. wait... is that a spoiler? CRAP! HAH!

I read this almost straight through. I fell asleep after swearing at Lisa telling her she kept me up till 6 AM and woke up to finish it only go and get all fangirl on her cute ass! She really outdid herself! Thanks for giving me a great read, I have to agree with Froggarita, this may be going on my favorite reads for Urban Parnormal Romance/Shifter/HOT/reads of the year!

But between the hot yummy shifting goodness? I think this is a wonderful message of how differences do not have to be what keeps us apart. Just because one group "kills" your kind, doesn't mean all are the same... right? *wink* again .. good job...

5 - double paw prints, my friend! In honor of Lana! (cuz she's my fav)

AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

The first book in Lisa Kessler’s Moon series is quick to please with its elaborate werewolf lore, dual points of view and flash fire romance but it also isn’t without its faults. There are a few holes in the mythology that were difficult to miss and the insta-love between the main characters was a little to instant for my tastes. That being said, the ending left me with enough unanswered questions to make my reading of Hunter’s Moon a forgone conclusion.

I enjoyed Kessler’s writing style; each chapter alternates between Adam and Lana which made for a nice mix of both male and female points of view. For the most part I liked the urgency of this book’s tone and the plot line is relatively fast paced although there are a couple of long, unnecessarily drawn out scenes that caused the story to stagger at times. The author does an excellent job of developing the secondary characters and of setting-up the romance that will be featured in the next installment. There’s a whole pack of wolves to choose from so I’m definitely expecting that there will be plenty more where Moonlight came from!

The werewolf mythology is rich and well-crafted; I especially enjoyed the male twin aspect and the way that the author worked it into the story line. Most of the same rules seem to apply to the jaguar shifters as well aside from the obvious cat / dog differences. I wish that the characters had spent a little more time in their animal forms; other than in the opening and closing chapters, I don’t think any of them really shifted. That’s a waste of this book’s main paranormal element in my opinion. There’s also one aspect of the lore that really nagged at me. When readers first meet Lana it’s a few days before the full moon and we find out that a) she doesn’t know she’s a jaguar and b) she has been shifting for years but blacks out every time. Later on, the author puts a lot of emphasis on the futility of resisting the pull of a full moon. But then in the last chapters, Adam (who’s not only an alpha but has known he’s a werewolf all his life) is unable to resist the call yet Lana (a total newbie) remains unaffected. Do you see what I’m getting at? It just doesn’t add up.

Both of the main characters earned my stamp of approval early on. Adam is an up-and-coming pack leader with a good head on his shoulders and Lana has done well for herself all things considered. The former quickly jumps on the “mate” bandwagon despite his player status while as the latter needs a bit more convincing; her trust and abandonment issues definitely play a huge part in that. Overall, the sex scenes are explicitly detailed and the romance is enjoyable just so long as you’re willing to overlook the insta-love that’s so common in werewolf Paranormal Romances.

Aside from a few minor bumps, Moonlight is a great starting point for a series that can only get better from here. ( )
  RabidReads | Nov 15, 2013 |
It was okay, but everything felt so rushed!
There was also a lot of unnecessary angst and overly convenient plot points, but it was entertaining.

The story has potential, so I hope the next one is better. ( )
  Isa_Lavinia | Sep 10, 2013 |
Good looking and too-sexy-for-his-own-good, Adam is a rancher AND destined to be the alpha werewolf of his pack. He and his pack are on the lookout for a panther who has been reported to be in the their area as panthers and weres are sworn enemies. He picks up the scent and it's coming from a cafe...

Lana was abandoned at birth and is a free lance writer. She has been experiencing episodes in which she black-outs and, after having a medical scan, is now on the run from some men who want to put her in an institution - someplace she definitely does not want to go! She is just trying to grab a bite to eat and is not thrilled when Adam saunters in the cafe and sits at her table...

When the men from the institution walk in to the cafe a few minutes later, Adam moves quickly to protect Lana to both his and Lana's surprise. So begins a scrumptiously sexy tale of rocky pitfalls and discovery for both Adam and Lana and for Adam's pack.

I've read everything Lisa has ever published and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Lisa's books. This one is truly a treat! The story enthralled me from the very beginning and it was torture to put it down! I have to confess that I've never been a fan of books about werewolves previously... but I certainly am now that I have read Moonlight! I can hardly wait for the next one in this series.

I highly recommend Moonlight to anyone looking for a captivating paranormal read. IF you don't particularly care for werewolves now, I bet you will after you read it too! It's EXCELLENT! 5 STARS! I wish I could give it more! ( )
  townsend32796 | Jul 21, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,132,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible