Before Midnight (Blood Prince, #1) by…

Before Midnight (Blood Prince, #1)

by Jennifer Blackstream

I really want to give this book 2.5 stars, but since that's not an option, I went back and forth on whether to give it 2 or 3. I finally settled on 3 to be nice.

It's not a terrible book, but it's not very good either. The writing is quite repetitive and tell-y (and full of so many typos), with sentences like, "he opened his mouth to bare a mouthful of sharp teeth too sharp to be human." Ok, so they're sharp then? Wait, are they sharp? I'm guessing they must be sharp. And it really feels like I'm being told to feel sorry for this girl who constantly feels sorry for herself. Well, I do what I want, not what I'm told. So there.

And, ugh, Loupe is so annoying. She drives me nuts. She acts pathetic and, though we're told she's really tough and won't give up, we don't see that; we see her giving up. Then she goes from weak and pathetic to strong and determined with nothing in between just because she's in love. It's the Power of Love! Give me a break.

Speaking of giving me a break, what's with all the purple prose? Like this: "Her jaw dropped. The most gorgeous man she’d ever seen was standing at the edge of the lake. From her angle, she couldn’t tell how tall he was, but he radiated strength. His soft brown hair and clear grey eyes, paired with a lean, muscled body, conspired to heat her blood. She wondered that the lake wasn’t boiling around her." So, I guess he's hot? Oh, and also, "Arabelle’s red hair fell like curling fountains of blood to the puffed sleeves of her dress." As a redhead, I think I might be offended or something (since Arabelle is EEEEVIL).

Why oh why is it always love at first sight? (Or, lust at first sight, maybe.) Loupe and Etienne don't even know each other—they've spoken twice!—when he confesses his love. I don't wanna say love at first sight never happens, I just don't think this is a very good way to begin a relationship. What if she doesn't like the way he chews his food? What if he doesn't like the way she rearranges the furniture?

And everything is so emotionally overdone, overwrought, and exhausting. The sex scene wasn't even sexy it was so overdone.

Am I allowed to request some realism even though this is fantasy? For example: Loupe's stepsister shoots her with a crossbow while Loupe is in wolf form and shoots her toe off. This is her actual line: “Wow, I really shot your toe clean off. What a shot. There isn’t even any bone from the toe left, just a hole. I must have taken it off at the joint.” Are you kidding me? I don't think that's even remotely possible.

But I did enjoy the plotline, and I couldn't actually abandon it since I wanted to know what happened next. So it wasn't all bad. ( )
  EstherSpurrillJones | Dec 11, 2017 |
While not a one of kind story I appreciated the paranormal aspect it brought to the table immensely
The Good and Bad of it All: For the most part this book was an OK read. Because it was so short it didn't have as developed characters as I would have liked and the plot was fairly thin with very few twists. I thought Loupe's character was the least likable and contradictory to her very nature. She's nothing more than an abused child yet Etienne seems to see more strength in her than I did. In the end she did get a backbone but it's because of her undying love for Etienne that she did a 180 and not some inner enlightenment that would have made her a strong female presence in the book. Oh and I think her name was silly. She was a bitten werewolf yet had the name from birth....how convenient.

The book sounds bad but it truly wasn't. Despite some repetitiveness in the writing, Blackstream entertained me with her retelling. The prologue was really good and even though it set up the series and had little to nothing to do with this particular book it has intrigued me too continue with the series.

In a Nutshell: Will I continue on with the series? You betcha. There are still 4 princes to read about. A vampire, a demon, an angel, and a god to be exact! ( )
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
a very easy read :) ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I received a copy of this title through Net Galley for an honest review.

Hmm. This was a different take on a fairy tale. A werewolf version of Cinderella. Not quite what I expected, but it was an enjoyable, quick read. It appears, via the prologue, that we have 4 more stories in this collection. I am interested in reading them based on Before Midnight.

If you enjoy a different retelling of fairytale classics, you might be interested in this book. Check it out. ( )
  Sirsangel | Jan 17, 2015 |
In the beginning of this story we meet a werewolf, a demon, a vampire, an angel and a god who meet at a magical tree. Then the real story begins about Prince Etienne of Sanguenay who is the werewolf. Etienne was born a werewolf, a lycanthrope. But he was blessed by witch and now he is slowly turning into a human. He doesn't won't that, he needs to find a loup garou, a werewolf who were turned by a scratch or a bite. It seems if they scratch or bite him it may stop the change,
Loupe is a young girl who lives with her evil stepmother and stepsisters, she also has a secret from them, she is a werewolf, a loup garou and they are wolf hunters.
She is treated terribly by them, made to cook, clean and also made to skin and scrape the the pelts of the wolfs they kill.
Etienne and Loupe meet one day and are attracted to each other but they both keep there secret from each other.
The story is a paranormal Cinderella which is very entertaining and works very well.
The next book is going to be a take on Snow White with Prince Kirill, the vampire mentioned. Should be interesting.

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JulieD2 | Mar 5, 2014 |

Jennifer Blackstream is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,608,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible