The Substitute Bride by Linda S. Glaz

by Linda S. Glaz

212,551,640 (4.5)None
Recently added byLAWonder10

No tags.

I love mail order bride stories! I am certain many of them did not turn out well, it still is somewhat of a romantic concept. People actually fell in love through the mail as some do now through the internet. They sometimes actually fall in love with the person and not just the image. Some of the strongest marriages I know were first built on their friendship before they fell in love. Sometimes, as it is now, it was simply to get away from an unhappy home or situation. I am sure many of those were not as happy. Anyway,....

'The Substitute Bride' is a mail order bride story with a different twist. Before she could arrive on the train, it was derailed. Some were killed, some injured and most all were in a state of confusion and shock . They did the best to survive until help came. Rebecca was no exception. She was hauled into a wagon and taken to the next town of the train stop. Her husband to be was worried and anxious awaiting the train that never arrived. Finally a telegram was sent that the passengers would be arriving by wagon and would be put up in the hotel for a week, if needed, at the expense of the railroad. Shortly thereafter, Jared heard the sound of wagon wheels and anxiously waited for the wagons to be unloaded. There was only one young, blond hair, blue eyed woman. He knew it was her! She was beautiful! He anxiously approached her and introduced himself....This is not the reception he expected!

Rebecca was confused and frightened. How could she marry this stranger? Where would she go? What could she do? She was sure she was a disappointment to Jared. She had to make a decision soon. She only had two more days to stay at the hotel. What were her choices?

Second thoughts about mail order romances plagued both individuals. A steady flow of events continued to take place. Would this marriage have a chance of lasting? Would it even be a real marriage?

The cover depicts the story quite well. The characters a developed well. The descriptiveness of background scenes and events were fairly well done , allowing the reader to create the picture in his/her mind.

The only thing that dissuades me from giving this book a five stars rating in this review is I feel it dragged out a little too much. I began to feel "Alright, already! Enough!" It still was a very good tale. I therefore give it a Four and a Half Stars rating.

The author generously sent this book to me for an honest review, of which I have given. ( )
  LAWonder10 | Nov 23, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373486693, Mass Market Paperback)

Jared Callahan's mysterious bride

Rancher Jared Callahan eagerly awaited the arrival of his mail-order bride. But instead of the kindhearted woman who wrote about escaping her constrained city life, the beauty who arrived in his remote frontier town couldn't remember anything. Not him, not their long-distance courtship, not even her own name. What is he going to do with this petite spitfire?

Dazed and confused from a railway accident, Rebecca Layne finds herself saying "I do" to the handsome stranger who claims to be her betrothed. But as feelings for Jared blossom, the mysteries of her past threaten to unravel her life at the seams. Only when the truth is finally revealed can this marriage of convenience ever become a true union of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:12 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible