Elusion by Claudia Gabel

Thanks to Edelweiss and Katherine Tegen Books for allowing me access to this title.

3.5 stars overall. Another SciFi virtual reality novel. While this one didn't really have anything new, it was decently written and moved along nicely. Not sure about the ending, but it will leave most readers impatiently waiting for the next installment. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I wanted to ESCAPE® from having to read this. There was nothing tense, alluring, nor mysterious about Elusion at all. I was not left breathless. I remained unimpressed and annoyed with Regan. The writing was fairly good, but nothing in this story was able to interest me.

The idea of the story sounded pretty unique and totally cool. I would so enjoy escaping from reality for a little while, but it feels like I’ve read this story and put up with this dumb girl before and all the clichés that seem to come hand in hand in these sorts of books.

There were supposed to be plot twists, apparently.

Elusion seemed pretty darn predictable to me.

I hated Regan after the whole…’I wanted to kiss Josh again’ crap. Like hello, you have other important things to do. Focus on something other than a boy you’ve only known for about a week. A boy who hasn’t exactly been 100% honest with you on certain details.

I didn’t really like any characters. I didn’t like Patrick and I definitely did not like Josh. There was just something about him and ugh.

Stuff happens, but nothing really happens. It tries to pick up at the very end. But there’s no way I would ever bother picking up the next book. ( )
  CinaChilders | Aug 7, 2014 |
Elusion is one of the more solid dystopian young adult novels of late; one can relate to the rather addictive qualities of escapism, and technological premise is sound. The cover is beautiful, to be superficial, and the storyline does not disappoint. Is it the best YA novel I've read all year? No, but it certainly is better than most out there at the moment. ( )
  amandacb | Jun 2, 2014 |
I wanted to read Elusion because first I was drawn to the beautiful cover, and then I read the description and liked the premise of the advanced tech that let you escape, and also wondering about the boy and what had went wrong with the idea and company.
I liked Regan's voice and got caught up in the story. Sometimes sci-fi and the hows and whys go over my head, so I was confused for a bit and also didn't really understand any of the science of how this could be in the realm of possibility even if we aren't there yet, so I don't know if some would have an issue, but I didn't. I was eager to find out about this world in the future that is low on oxygen and seems to have messed up any beautiful landscape since the first Escape she took with her father was such a scenic experience. But an accident killed her father and things changed and escalated with his tech. It became a source of escape, relaxation and fun for the whole city, almost ready to be released to the general population.
I liked her friendship and the bantering between her and Patrick at the beginning and how he still made time for her, making her a priority even though he is involved with the company and running conferences and such. I so hoped that he wasn't on the corrupted or gone wrong part but tried to keep my heart protected a bit. I was also crossing my fingers for no love triangle since the synopsis mentioned the handsome rebel Josh and says that Regan will have to choose between love and loyalty.
I enjoyed Josh's character, but ultimately I think that things progressed pretty quickly between them. It felt okay for me, but I know some of my readers have issues with the insta-love and the whole story takes place in less than a week. While I suppose there are no actual declarations of love, they become close and there is a kiss. I enjoyed the romance personally and can't wait to see how much closer they are in the next book. I liked how he was protective of Regan, and that he wasn't quick to judge her or make assumptions.
I finished the story before I knew it, and enjoyed the world building, especially when I got a handle on the terminology and how Elusion and Escapes worked. There was some scientific talk that I didn't care to wade through, but I am sure that this will be gold for some readers. But I liked the idea of being able to use virtual reality to go to serene places when their environment seems to be devastated, needing supplemental oxygen when outside and acid rain, and not a lot of nature left.
The whole addiction plot line made things that more layered. Figuring out who knew what and where the blame lay for teens' vulnerability for getting addicted to the substances that allow for Escape. It also gave Josh something to work for and a reason behind because he was struck close to home with his sister Nora.
I was eager to further unravel Regan's family dynamic. There were hints of and we find out more about her father's accident and memories of their relationship. And Regan and her mom seemed to have a weird grief covered relationship and I know that at some points Regan was doubting her, and then others they were connected.
It ended at an okay spot I suppose, but I am def eager to find out what happens with the firewall, to discover what exactly Patrick's role was in everything and see the bad guys taken down.

Bottom Line: Fast paced sci-fi. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Mar 10, 2014 |
When this story begins Regan Welsh is grieving for the sudden loss of her father and coping with a mother who is also grieving. Her father was working on a computer program called Elusion which lets people go to fantasy world virtually to get away from the very polluted world that is reality.

After her father's death the company was taken over by her father's protegee Patrick Simmons. Regan and Patrick have been best friends since childhood. But things are changing between them. Patrick seems stressed and Regan is convinced that he is lying to her.

Rumors are spreading - pushed by Regan's school enemy Avery Leavenworth who has a vlog and is determined to prove that Elusion is dangerous. At first, Regan is convinced that Avery is just blowing things out of proportion. Then she meets Josh Heywood who used to be Patrick's friend. Josh has questions because his sister is missing and he is sure that Elusion has something to do with it.

The story is filled with action both in the real world and in the worlds created by Elusion. Regan is torn between believing her childhood friend and the new boy who could be more than a friend. While I admired Regan's loyalty to her friend Patrick, I thought she was pretty wishy-washy as a character. She kept throwing out threats to Patrick that she would have no way to enforce. She also kept changing her mind about who she wanted to believe.

Readers who get invested in this story should be aware that it is the beginning of a trilogy. Very little is resolved in this story. ( )
  kmartin802 | Feb 28, 2014 |

Claudia Gabelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Klam, Cherylmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006212241X, Hardcover)

Soon, Elusion® will change the world and life as we know it.

A new technology called Elusion is sweeping the country. An app, a visor, and a wristband will virtually transport you to an exotic destination where adventure can be pursued without the complications—or consequences—of real life.

Regan is an Elusion insider. Or at least she used to be. Her father invented the program, and her best friend, Patrick, heir to the tech giant Orexis, is about to release it nationwide. But ever since her father's unexpected death, Regan can't bear to Escape, especially since waking up from the dream means crashing back to her grim reality.

Still, when there are rumors of trouble in Elusion—accusations that it's addictive and dangerous—Regan is determined to defend it. But the critics of Elusion come from surprising sources, including Josh, the handsome skeptic with his own personal stakes. As Regan investigates the claims, she discovers a disturbing web of secrets. She will soon have to choose between love and loyalty . . . a decision that will affect the lives of millions.

Suspense, thrills, and romance fuel this near-future story about the seductive nature of a perfect virtual world and how far one girl will go to uncover the truth behind the illusions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:49 -0400)

"Teens uncover the dangerous secrets of a virtual reality program that's taking the country by storm"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,030,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible