Esther Waters by George Moore

Esther Waters (1894)

by George Moore

This book really bowled me over. It deserves a place as one of the greatest works of Victorian fiction. I loved the way Moore was able to realistically portray not only a woman but a working-class woman. I wept at her struggle to keep her illegitimate child, shared her determination and felt the difficulty of her choices. Yet it is neither downbeat nor sentimental. A much more true to life portrait of a Victorian girl who bears an illegitimate child than Mrs Gaskell's Ruth (much as I admire and enjoy Mrs G's works). And certainly better than Tess of the D'Urbervilles (but I have never been a big Hardy fan. Thomas or Oliver...) ( )
1 vote PollyMoore3 | Jul 17, 2013 |
799. Esther Waters An English Story by George Moore (read 11 Mar 1965) I was at the time I read this book immersed in 19th century English literature and asked a friend (who subsequently went on to obtain a doctorate in the field) for suggestions and he named this book as the book to read by George Moore. I did and think I felt it was well worth reading. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | Jun 1, 2013 |
Fascinating and disturbing picture of life for poor women in late 19th-century England. Baby-farming and other horrors are vividly portrayed. Were women back then really all that self-sacrificing or is this Victorian stereotyping? Still, heroine is enduring and book is worth reading. ( )
1 vote xine2009 | Jun 13, 2009 |
Esther Waters is the title which George Orwell declared to be 'far and away the best' of the ten novels which make up Penguin's third series (Penguins numbered 21 to 30) in his 1936 essay Review of Penguin Books. He says of Esther Waters that it was 'written by a man whose fingers were all thumbs and who had not learned some of the most elementary tricks of the novelist...but the book's fundamental sincerity makes its surface faults almost negligible.' Continued

George Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Allen, Walter ErnestIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hough, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192837125, Paperback)

"Perhaps you were right, Esther. I couldn't have kept you on, on account of the bad example to the younger servants. I might have helped you with money. But six months alone in London and in your condition! ... I am glad you did not tell me, Esther; and as you say there is another to think of now, I hope you will never neglect your child, if God give it to you alive."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:47 -0400)

Considered to be Moore's masterwork, Esther Waters is a poignant portrayal of a religious girl sent out to service, only to be seduced by a fellow employee and then abandoned after she becomes pregnant. Determined to raise her child, Esther faces many hardships in her quest to provide for herself and her son. Both moving and memorable, Esther Waters is a classic of realist fiction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,161,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible