The Calling by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Bethany's restless heart is searching for answers - in life and in love.

Book II (The Inn at Eagle Hill series)
  Indiancreek | Nov 29, 2017 |
Good book. This is the continuing story of the inhabitants of the Inn at Eagle Hill and the town of Stoney Ridge. This story is mainly about Bethany and her efforts to get her life back on track. She's recovering from the discovery that the man she thought she loved was a con man, responsible for the destruction of her father's business. Her brother Tobe, who was also involved in the business is missing, and her father is dead. While waiting, not too patiently, for some idea of what her future holds, she is assisting five old ladies in cleaning out decades of accumulated stuff at their house, a truly daunting task. She's also dealing in an unexpected interest in Jimmy Fisher, local ladies' man and something of a rascal.

Jimmy, who made his own impressions in the Stoney Ridge Seasons series, was known for his ability to get into trouble. He's made some mistakes, but is working to get past them. He still has a bit of the devil in him and seems to delight in teasing Bethany. He is also very protective of her.

I enjoyed seeing their romance grow from their friendship. Bethany is wary. His reputation with the girls is of the love 'em and leave 'em variety, and she's not so sure he's serious about her. She is also reluctant to trust her own judgment, after what happened with Jake. Jimmy is amazingly patient with Bethany's roller coaster treatment of him. I loved how he was there when she needed him, even before she knew she did. It was really sweet to see the way he got involved with the community garden just because of her. When Bethany learns some disturbing news from her past, she pushes him away, trying to protect him. I ached for his hurt, and loved that he refused to be pushed too far away. I loved seeing Bethany finally see that he was the one for her.

There were many other characters that wove their way through the story, each having their own problems. One of the most interesting was Geena, a young woman who was a youth pastor at a big church. She lost her job there because she didn't fit in with their vision of where they wanted to go, leaving her floundering for her own purpose in life. She comes to the Inn to get away and think about her future, and finds an unexpected peace and purpose. I loved the way that she and Bethany connected, with each of them finding someone they can confide in. I loved Geena's way of being able to listen and open people's eyes and hearts without being judgmental. I really enjoyed how she got involved with the soup kitchen and the group home, and the effect that both had on her. I loved her ending, which was a surprise to her.

Bethany's sister Mim is amazingly level headed and empathetic for a fourteen year old. She has secretly taken on the job of an advice columnist, unknown to her mother. While she makes a few missteps, just paying attention to the people around her often gives her the insight to answer others' problems. She has some romantic troubles of her own, as she is crushing on a boy two years older. They are friends, but that friendship hits a snag at the end of the book.

There is some suspense, dealing with the fallout of the failure of the father's business. Bethany's missing brother has returned and now must face the consequences of his actions. There's some definite maturing as he realizes what he has to do. The ex-boyfriend and conman Jake also makes some appearances, showing his true colors in threats and attacks. There's one really scary scene with him, with an unexpected hero stepping in to save the day. His part isn't quite resolved, so I look forward to reading the next book. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Mar 1, 2017 |
The Calling, the second in the Eagle Hill Inn series, carries the reader deeper into the lives of Stoney Ridge. The characters struggle with identity, finding their purpose, and place in a caring community that has its own twists and turns. Life isn't want it seems from the outside as the guest at Eagle Hill Inn, Geena soon discovers as she becomes intertwined in the dilemmas Bethany Schrock finds herself dealing with.
I found truths to apply in my own life throughout the book. Suzanne Woods Fisher writes with strength, insight, and depth. I look forward to her next book in this series! The Letter is the first book, another enchanting read! ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
OK… I think these books are my new favorite series! WHAT a turnaround! Here I thought there was something about Suzanne’s writing that was annoying me and I was ready to quit reading. Well I was right… sort of. It is Suzanne’s writing that was agitating me. But only because she draws a reader into the story so well that we feel the emotions that her characters are feeling. And at the beginning of “The Letters”, there was some serious agitation going around.

“The Calling” is a FANTASTIC read!Suzanne Woods Fisher has managed to continue the story beautifully while introducing many new elements as well!

As I read further, Suzanne introduced more and more elements that drew me even deeper into the story – to the point that I was in tears over what I was reading. AMAZING! Suzanne crafts a story that involves each character we are introduced to in ways that we could never imagine. She is a truly blessed author and I look forward to going back and reading each and every one of her other books while I wait for the next book in this series.

What a wonderful continuation of the story. What a tremendous example of how God moves things and people in and out of our lives for our good. We almost never see God in the little everyday kind of things that happen to us. And most of the time we miss the grand plan that God has for us until it’s staring us in the face… and in some cases, not until it has already settled in for a nice long stay.

“The Letters” was very much a surprise to me. I began reading and was almost immediately irritated – to the point that I almost decided not to even finish the story. But, having a determination to finish what I start, I did. And I am so glad I did. It was an amazing story, a true blessing to my soul. And “The Calling” was even better! Now I find myself agitated again, except this time it is because there is so long to wait for the next installment.

Disclaimer: I received this book free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
More Adventures at The Inn at Eagle Hill!

Once again we are back with the characters from the first book of this series, The Letters. We also have the pleasure of meeting a few new ones. Life at The Inn at Eagle Hill is never boring.

I was more than thrilled with the twists and turns that this book took me through. A secret is revealed for one of the characters in this book. One that causes great concern and rightfully so. Evil also rears its ugly head. A certain person is targeted with revenge and their very life could be changed if evil wins. I found this part very chilling.

When a young woman arrives for a stay at The Inn at Eagle Hill will her faith in herself be shaken? With a time of rest will she find where God is leading her? Will she have an open heart and mind to listen and to follow Him?

I must not forget to add that a Prodigal has come home; thinking all is well and finding that isn’t the case. What will be the consequences of past decisions and actions?

I highly recommend this book but be sure to read the first book in this series, The Letters.

I can’t wait to read The Revealing, the conclusion to this series. I must find out what happens to my beloved characters! ( )
  passionforbooks | Apr 1, 2014 |
The Calling moves along at a fast clip leaving no room for boredom. The author is well seasoned in creating believable characters and realistic events that make this book of Amish fiction hard to put down. Mental illness is broached in this book, which is not a common topic in Amish fiction. Ghosts from the past wreak havoc when least expected, and at times I was brought to tears.

Suzanne Woods Fisher is a master at creating authentic and inspiring Amish fiction. The Amish lifestyle is well defined and substantive to their way of life. I highly recommend The Calling, and can hardly wait for the sequel. This is a bit of a cliffhanger, so prepare yourselves to be begging for more! This book can be read as a stand alone, but I suggest reading the entire series.
added by NanceeM | editReviewer, Nancee Marchinowski (Jan 30, 2014)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0800720946, Paperback)

Twenty-year-old Bethany Schrock is restless. Her love life has derailed, her faith hangs by a thread, and she is spending the incredibly hot summer days wading through a lifetime's accumulation of junk at the home of five ancient Amish sisters. About the only thing that holds her interest is the spirited and dangerously handsome Jimmy Fisher--and he seems bent on irritating her to no end.

When the sly old sisters and a guest at the Inn get Bethany involved in running the local soup kitchen and starting a community garden, she suddenly finds herself wondering, Shootfire! How did that happen? Despite her newfound purposefulness, a gnawing emptiness about a childhood mystery continues to plague her. Encouraged by Jimmy Fisher, she will seek out the answers she craves--and uncover a shocking secret that will break her heart, heal it, and point her to love.

Bestselling author Suzanne Woods Fisher delivers her trademark twists, turns, and tender romance in this delightful and exciting visit to the deceptively quiet community of Stoney Ridge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

Struggling with her faith during a summer shared with five older Amish sisters, Bethany volunteers at a local soup kitchen while railing at the handsome but annoying Jimmy before uncovering a heartbreaking secret.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,634,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible