The League of Delphi by Chris Everheart

The League of Delphi

by Chris Everheart

Warning-- this book has a cliffhanger which feels as if the story isn't over. That pisses me off. I need to know what happens next.. Ugh. Obviously it's a good story if I'm this upset about the cliffhanger.
Zach is a great male lead. You get to enter the mind of a teenage boy who is a bit paranoid, and afraid he might be going crazy. I found myself smiling and shaking my head as his date with Katie was a total bust. I was glad because I was rooting for Ashley anyways.
Oh Ashley!! I found myself relating to her so much. Sibling rivalry, jealousy and all of that angst. I could see myself having similar outburst if no one reacted to a suicide. She is overflowing with so many emotions. I absolutely love her as a character. Silly Zach, she was always the one.
I found myself enthralled with the conspiracy I really want to know what happens next. So much so that it might overpower my anger about the cliffhanger.
One thing I must say though... Where are the prophecies? Will there be some in the next book? I sure hope so because so far I have been disappointed on that front. ( )
  manka23 | Aug 10, 2017 |
Unclear, overdramatic, and ninety percent of it is written in prose. I had a hard time getting through this one guys. I don't want to be mean, but it's the truth.

Full review: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-league-of-delphi-by-chris-e... ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
Seventeen-year-old Zach is not desperate to find a girlfriend, does not want to sleep with the prettiest girl in school (or even spend the night chastely in her bedroom), and isn’t even in school anymore since he completed his education in France. So this is not your average teen thriller. It has a realistic (male) teen protagonist, who keeps his heart and his history hidden, his head down, and his home private. It introduces a slightly creepy town, that grows progressively more so. And it offers a pleasing supporting cast of characters, teen and adult, plus a truly intriguing central mystery.

The writing is smooth, the characterization convincing, and the story progression is filled with twists and turns. History and mythology feel as real as technology and politics. And this small town’s secrets will keep readers both guessing and looking for more—what more could you ask of book one of a trilogy.

Okay, the story ends on a cliff-hanger, but enough has been learned for the reader to feel a certain sense of completion. This promises to be a really great trilogy—the thinking teen’s answer to a world of look-alike romantic thrillers. I’m eager to read more.

Disclosure: I was given a free copy and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Jul 16, 2014 |
Zach White has returned to Arcanville after his mother's death - unsure of why he is drawn to this little PA town. Working at the coffee shop, he sees and meets most of the other highschoolers but he is still confused until he and Ashley find a way into the library and discover the secrets of the town.

The story was well written and gripped my attention so that I am looking forward to the next installment of the trilogy. ( )
  cyderry | Feb 17, 2014 |
We meet our protagonist ‘Zach’ working in a local coffee shop. He has just come back to town after a 10 year leave, forced on him by his mother, his father having died when Zach was young. He spent most of his time at a boarding school in France. Only receiving infrequent visits from his mother, and those were often very unusual.

She was scared and paranoid and this influenced Zach. After his mother died and he graduated, he came back ‘home’, kept the pseudonym his mother gave him and set himself up with a job and an apartment. It didn’t take long before he started noticing weird things about the town. Often people didn’t react how one would expect. A local rising star in the high school died, from all appearances a suicide. But no one seemed to notice or care, or almost no one. Life went on as if it was someone from some other town far away. Not even the boys father showed remorse.

Ashley did notice. She also was very upset about everyone’s reaction and Zach noticed. They talked a little at the coffee shop and she told Zach some hard to believe stories, and if he had been anywhere else he might have dismissed them out of hand. The two become friends and start to investigate what was really going on.

I really enjoyed this book and thought the story was very good. It had a good pace, didn’t get boring nor was it a non-stop adrenaline rush either. It was well written and the two main characters were well developed. Most of the rest of the cast, not so much, but then that is pretty ( )
  readafew | Nov 23, 2013 |

History’s darkest secrets hide in plain sight.

One of the freshest new voices in the world of young adult suspense, Chris Everheart confirms that he’s here to stay with this fast-paced, ingeniously plotted, unputdownable thriller.

A lone teen, a suspicious death, an ancient conspiracy. The first book of the gripping new Delphi series, The League of Delphi draws you in, takes you on a tense and thrilling ride, and leaves you wanting more.

Ten years after his father's mysterious death, 17-year-old Zach secretly returns to his wealthy hometown in search of answers. Why did his mother move him away then go into hiding to die alone? Why did she change his name, forbidding him to ever reveal his true identity? Why was he never allowed to return home?

Left with nothing and no one, Zach is desperate to reconnect with this seemingly “perfect” town. But something isn’t right. When a local teen commits suicide and no one seems to care, Zach’s hopes collapse into disenchantment and suspicion. Ashley, a local teenager on the fringe, piques his interest with whispers of a secret committee controlling the lives of everyone around them. Could it be true? Together, Zach and Ashley delve into the hidden life of the town and discover a dark connection to Ancient Greece and the Oracle at Delphi. Their suspicions are confirmed - but the conspiracy is more terrifying and dangerous than they ever imagined...

History's darkest secrets hide in plain sight.

One of the freshest new voices in the world of young adult suspense, Chris Everheart confirms that he's here to stay with this fast-paced, ingeniously plotted, unputdownable thriller.

A lone teen, a suspicious death, an ancient conspiracy. The first book of the gripping new Delphi series, The League of Delphi draws you in, takes you on a tense and thrilling ride, and leaves you wanting more.

Left with nothing and no one, Zach is desperate to reconnect with this seemingly "perfect" town. But something isn't right. When a local teen commits suicide and no one seems to care, Zach's hopes collapse into disenchantment and suspicion. Ashley, a local teenager on the fringe, piques his interest with whispers of a secret committee controlling the lives of everyone around them. Could it be true? Together, Zach and Ashley delve into the hidden life of the town and discover a dark connection to Ancient Greece and the Oracle at Delphi. Their suspicions are confirmed - but the conspiracy is more terrifying and dangerous than they ever imagined...

The League of Delphi is "...suspenseful, engaging, imaginative."

Fans of Charles Benoit (You; Fall From Grace) and Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games) will instantly connect with Chris Everheart's "visual" storytelling style and relatable characters. The League of Delphi delivers a fascinating thriller filled with nerve-wrenching suspense that confounds the reader to the very end and solidifies Everheart's status as one of the hottest newcomers to hit the shelves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:14 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,468,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible