Penguins (Scholastic Discover More) by…

Penguins (Scholastic Discover More)

by Penelope Arlon

Let’s face it: penguins are hot these days. Even before their recent rise in popularity, penguins always were a favorite of mine: I used to tell my wife that I thought it was impossible to frown while looking at the silly creatures. With the success of movies like March of the Penguins and Happy Feet penguins might be a unique opportunity to get some children interested in nature.
This book uses a scrapbook approach to cover a depth of information on penguins. Each species is given its own spread, and species are compared in the beginning. The entire life cycle and their behavior are described in good detail, as are the natural history of the species. I think the information is rather accurate, though at times it seems simplified.
As a teacher, I like the idea of giving children a chance to pick a species and give a report on how that species lives, its environment and niche. I think that this book would be a great reference tool for an assignment such as this as it gives comprehensive account of all aspects of penguins’ life histories including human threats and predation. This book might be more accessible to younger audiences than larger reference book and is visually exciting. Just as an introduction to what we are talking about when we cover the idea of a niche (environment, predators, nesting habits, life cycle, prey, adaptations, etc) this book can be a useful introduction to many of the factors and terms scientists use. ( )
  RangerRoss | Mar 26, 2012 |

Scholastic Discover More is a revolutionary new nonfiction line pairing stunning print books with corresponding interactive digital books that extend the learning online.

PENGUINS unlocks a free 48-page digital companion book, AMAZING ANTARCTICA, offering even more information, photos, and videos!

Small in size but big in personality, stars of movies, TV, and games, penguins are loved by kids everywhere. This book reveals their real lives, far beyond our wildest imagination! Meet every one of the 17 different kinds of penguin; discover how they eat, sleep, talk, walk, and swim, and of course, the wonderful stories of how they look after their eggs and chicks. Big and beautiful Antarctic images, especially shot for this book, are combined with up-to-the-minute information from penguin experts, and dramatic modern graphics to entice confident and reluctant readers alike.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:44 -0400)

An introduction to penguins, looking at seventeen different kinds, exploring their unique behaviors, and presenting numerous photographs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,327,979 books! | Top bar: Always visible