Scholastic Discover More: Rainforest by…

Scholastic Discover More: Rainforest

by Penelope Arlon

Summary: This book is all about rainforests, and the creatures that live in them. There are plenty of pictures and descriptions of animals, plants and insects. The pages have a lot going on, but it isn't hard to find the information you are looking for.

Personal Reaction: I love pictures of cute animals and the rainforest of the world have plenty of cute animals. I think there is plenty of information for children to learn.

Classroom Extensions: 1. I would use this book along side others about the animals and plants and insects of the rainforest. Then we could create a class research book about rainforests. 2. There are a multitude of words that I could use for a rainforest word wall. The children can find words that they want to add, then they can write it down and draw a picture. ( )
  richardgulick | Nov 19, 2013 |
This book shares many similar characteristics as the book Bugs by the same author, Penelope Arlon. Both are from the Scholastic discover more series. Both have beautiful photographs. In fact the photos are the absolute highlight of the book in my opinion. Also, both contain some strange and unusual facts. Both contain a unique Hall of Fame section that treats plants and animal record breakers as works of art. Both begin with a two page spread. Bugs begins with a two page spread telling the reader how to use the book. Rainforest begins with a two page spread telling the reader how to use the online companion book. The pictures are bold and in your face. Many are sensationalized, but all are beautiful. I found that I had the same issues with the online portion of this book as I did with Bugs. In this case, I could not access the features from either my computer or my iPad. Both had locked me from access. This book will appeal to elementary students, middle school students and high school students. Lesson ideas include a science class on rainforests, and an informational resource class. ( )
  lalfonso | Mar 27, 2013 |

A comprehensive modern reference book all about rainforests for confident readers.

This book is far more than a collection of bugs and butterflies. It explores rainforests by continent, so the young reader gains first hand experience of the contrasts between the flora and fauna of South America, Africa, and India. It introduces indigenous people who reveal age-old secrets of survival in the forest. It explores how rainforests are exploited for every day products in everyones' homes. The latest research reveals newly discovered creatures unique to this book, and the current threat level to our planet as we continue to destroy Earth's most diverse habitat. Fantastic photos, structured layouts, and age-appropriate vocabulary entice newly confident readers into the world of information books. Data boxes, maps, and stats encourage related numeracy and science skills. Vetted by literacy experts.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

Compares and contrasts the plants, animals, and indigenous peoples of the world's rainforests by continent, exploring secrets of survival in the forest and examining how human exploitation threatens these diverse habitats.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,373,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible