Raising a Lady in Waiting: Parent's…

Raising a Lady in Waiting: Parent's Guide to Helping Your Daughter…

by Jackie Kendall

611,268,033 (4.5)None

I am enthusiastic about this book so much that I am tempted to go all gushy over it, and I am not a person who easily gushes over a book. What grabbed me right from the beginning was the intimate tone of the book, as if two moms were seated at the kitchen table sharing a cup of coffee or tea and a cinnamon roll, telling each other our life stories. In the preface, Jackie Kendall shares two special memories most women love sharing with each other--her engagement story and her wedding story. The tale as she relates it reveals her heart, her back story and a couple of unexpected bonus moments. By the time I began reading chapter one, I knew the author was speaking from personal experience. She had herself overcome such abuse that it was a miracle she could live a peaceful, fruitful life without bitterness, rancor and anger. Knowing what she had overcome was the driving force for reading this book, for me. I wanted to know how she conquered the tendency to attract losers that matched her background. The principles she shared in the chapters are well worth getting the book for further reference. My only regret is that I didn't have this book fifteen years earlier.

Ms. Kendall issued a disclaimer for this book in the introduction. "These words are meant to 'throw cold water' in your face if by chance you are under the illusion that there exists some type of perfect formula for successfully mentoring your child. These pages simply describe the pilgrimage I have been on as a mom. I admit to all that I am simply a fellow struggler who is addicted to hope in Jesus." I like this humble attitude. I agree that there is truly no magic formula for rearing our children to become responsible, caring, successful adults. But she does share with readers sound biblical principles that should improve their chances.

Raising a Lady in Waiting is an extended Bible study of the book of Ruth from the Old Testament. The story of Ruth is about a young woman, the daughter-in-law of Naomi, whose wise decisions brought blessings to her family so protracted that the ripples from such grace shown her by God was felt hundreds of years later. The author shares valuable tenets from this study chapter by chapter:

Being a Young Lady of Reckless Abandon
Being a Young Lady of Security
Being a Young Lady of Contentment
Being a Young Lady of Conviction
Being a Young Lady of Patience

Each chapter is chock full of stories, examples, research, lists, tips and word pictures with the intent to help mothers (and grandmothers) model and implement each main principle. The author's humor and ability to package the tidbits into palatable nuggets that will nudge our memories in the future is priceless. At the end are discussion questions, Bible verses, and sometimes projects for the mother and daughter to do together. This makes the book a valuable resource you will want to return to repeatedly.

Not only does the book point the way for our precious Ladies in Waiting toward becoming Ladies of Excellence ready for the Boaz in their lives, it also teaches them how to distinguish a Bozo from a Boaz. Through this book, parents are to help our girls guard their hearts from predatory men and dead-end relationships.

What I liked best is how the author talks to us, mom to mom. We are coached to model each of the character traits we desire to see in our daughters and granddaughters. We are encouraged to be patient because it's a gradual process that takes time, prayer, and dedicated effort. We are to remember that we will make mistakes, or fail to model Godly character from time to time because we are human. But above all, the author encourages us to place our young girls in God's competent hands. I intend to give a copy of this book to my daughter now that she is out of the nest, to use when she begins her own family.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary review copy of this book from NetGalley on behalf of Destiny Image Publishers, Inc. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: â Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising." ( )
  Beverlylynnt | Sep 29, 2014 |

Raising Daughters Who Refuse to Settle

In a culture that emphasizes finding the right pair of jeans over waiting for the right man, there is no time to sit back and hope everything just pans out. Mom, you are your daughter’s greatest influence, mentor, and relationship coach. It is time to take action!

The most important decision of your daughter’s life is who will be her Master; the second is who will be her “mister.” You play a vital role in preparing her to make this choice. Bestselling author, Jackie Kendall, opens her heart and candidly shares four decades’ worth of experience with mothers who are raising daughters to navigate the challenges of relationships.

These principles help you effectively guide your daughter to:
•     Maintain high relationship standards
•     Guard her mind from false relationship images
•     Teach her the value of waiting for God’s best

Kids are passing school while flunking in relationships. Raising a Lady in Waiting  provides you with the keys necessary to safeguard your daughter from pursuing “Bozos” and prepares her for the “Boaz” God has waiting.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

In a culture that emphasizes finding the right pair of jeans over waiting for the right man, there is no time to sit back and hope everything just pans out. Mom, you are your daughter's greatest influence, mentor, and relationship coach. It is time to take action! The most important decision of your daughter's life is who will be her Master; the second is who will be her "mister." You play a vital role in preparing her to make this choice. Bestselling author, Jackie Kendall, opens her heart and candidly shares four decades' worth of experience with mothers who are raising daughters to navigate the challenges of relationships. These principles help you effectively guide your daughter to: Maintain high relationship standards; Guard her mind from false relationship images; Teach her the value of waiting for God's best. Kids are passing school while flunking in relationships. Raising a Lady in Waiting provides you with the keys necessary to safeguard your daughter from pursuing "Bozos" and prepares her for the "Boaz" God has waiting.--Publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,872,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible