Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

Ancillary Justice

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (1)

3,1232402,635 (3.97)1 / 478
    Ghost Spin by Chris Moriarty (libron)
    libron: Ancillary Justice is great - but for a nuanced, riveting treatment of AI, Moriarty has her beat, hands down. I hope to see more rigorous explorations in future of what Leckie has limned in her first outing.
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (lquilter)
    lquilter: Fans of either Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness or Leckie's Ancillary Justice should enjoy the other. In common, the pacing, character-centered perspective obscuring aspects of the universe, political machinations, far-future setting, and treatment of ethics; also interesting for its simultaneous foregrounding and backgrounding of gender.… (more)
    Ring of Swords by Eleanor Arnason (libron)
    libron: Arnason's depiction of an alternative (alien) gender/social structure is awesome. I hope Leckie can flesh her own ideas out further beyond pronoun ambiguity in forthcoming books.
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (electronicmemory)
    Embassytown by China Miéville (electronicmemory)
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Leckie has said that Cherryh's Foreigner books were a big influence on Ancillary Justice and sequels
    A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Some of the dynamics in Leckie's Ancillary Justice remind me of the much more obscure single-volume space opera Wright's A Matter of Oaths about two warring immortal emperors and a protagonist with a mysterious connection to them- if you like one, you may like the other.… (more)
    Fool's War by Sarah Zettel (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: Sentient AIs and spaceships
    The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Utterly different in tone, this also features the "mind" of a ship and the people she interacts with.
    All Systems Red by Martha Wells (chlorine)
    chlorine: Main protagonists are at least somewhat AI, and both books have a neutral take on gender.
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (g33kgrrl)
    Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (souloftherose)

English (245)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (247)
An interesting read. I can't remember the last time I read a fiction novel and walked away without a certainty that, were I magically transported to that place, I could survive rather well with the knowledge the story had shared with the reader. The characters here are simultaneously sympathetic and alien, and their culture is so unlike our own as to require a fair bit of the story to explain even the smallest details.
All in all, though, a decent world-build, and some truly creative narrative choices. I found the use of only the feminine pronoun an oddly soothing choice, as it dismissed any concerns over gender or possible sexual tensions. And writing from the POV of a stranded hivemind was an inspired choice. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
enjoyed it more than anything I've read in quite a while - character and plot development hinged on awareness and temporal shifts - all swinging together yet at their own speeds in their own directions in a sort of perpetual motion machine of a story - wow - fun reading ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
I keep trying to hook people with the concept. "It's about a person who used to be a spaceship! And all the corpse soldiers within it! But the ship was betrayed and is now down to a single body." And then I go on to mention Breq's chronic frustration with attempting to identify gender in order to use gendered nouns and pronouns. Humans from outside the Radch are so prickly when one guesses gender wrong.

And all of that is great, and exciting, and a true example of what science fiction can be... but the reason I read the book - devoured it, really - is much simpler: I love the main character. Breq, Justice of Toren's One Esk Nineteen, is interesting. Smart, of course, determined and focused, but also brave in ways she doesn't count, and caring in ways she doesn't expect. The Justice of Toren's multiple simultaneous viewpoints in the chapters set in the story's past serve as a slowly unfolding tragedy and provide a window on what Breq was and all (s)he lost.

I don't understand Seivarden (it would be difficult, since Breq doesn't understand him, and we see this universe through her eyes), but I somehow liked him anyway with all his character flaws and the risk he continuously presents to Breq's quest and even security. I wanted better for Awn. I was fascinated by the Radch, by the time she/he made a true appearance on the page.

And I loved the ending. Loved. I see that there is a "loose" trilogy planned, and I simultaneously want more of this weird world and its characters, and I want Ancillary Justice to continue to stand perfectly on its own, because what could possibly follow in these footsteps? ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
I am at a complete loss for words. Ann Leckie used all the good ones, in all the best ways. I am looking forward to reading this again. ( )
  sussura | Sep 29, 2018 |
I liked that it's a ship. ( )
  CassandraT | Sep 23, 2018 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunez, BillyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my parents, Mary P. and David N. Dietzler, who didn't live to see this book but were always sure it would exist.
The body lay naked and facedown, a deathly gray, spatters of blood staining the snow around it.
Surely it isn't illegal here to complain about young people these days? How cruel. I had thought it a basic part of human nature, one of the few universally practiced human customs.

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance. - Goodreads.com
It's alive... or dead.
A.I. or human? Who cares!
She, or he, is BREQ!
(pickupsticks)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031624662X, Paperback)

Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was. Years ago, she was the Justice of Toren--a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of corpse soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy.

An act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with only one fragile human body. And only one purpose--to revenge herself on Anaander Mianaai, many-bodied, near-immortal Lord of the Radch.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:02 -0400)

Now isolated in a single frail human body, Breq, an artificial intelligence that used to control of a massive starship and its crew of soldiers, tries to adjust to her new humanity while seeking vengeance and answers to her questions.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Leckie's book Ancillary Justice was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,628,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible