The Count of Monte Cristo as Retold by…

The Count of Monte Cristo as Retold by Sherlock Holmes

by Holy Ghost Writer

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All (5)
The Count of Monte Cristo as Retold by Sherlock Holmes is a fun adventure into this classic story as told by a classic character.

Author Holy Ghost Writer excels in exhibiting the voices of Sherlock Holmes and Watson as they banter their way through a re-telling of The Count of Monte Cristo from the perspective of Holmes and his personal knowledge of Dantes. Holy Ghost Writer has breathed new life into this story opening it up to a new generation. The story keeps very close to the original story with this fun new aspect of interjecting Holmes as the narrator. Holy Ghost Writer has an excellent grasp on the love, betrayal, adventure and revenge that captivates us in the original story.

Anyone who has previously enjoyed Dumas’ The Count of Monte Cristo is sure to enjoy this rendering. In addition, this re-telling of The Count of Monte Cristo would be an excellent gift to inspire new readers to the classics.

I am excited to read the subsequent books in this series and see where Holy Ghost Writer takes these classic characters next. I highly recommend it! ( )
  AllyMcMahon | Jun 1, 2014 |
A well handled re-telling of a complex initial story. I did not get bored reading it even though I am familiar with the Dumas classic version. I would even add it is an easier and lighter reading than the original version. The descriptions of the sets are very detailed and the characters’ feelings very touching. Having Sherlock Holmes as a story teller gives sympathy to the book and attracts your curiosity (Elementary my dear Watson !). ( )
  Lemesle | Jan 9, 2014 |
The thought of matching together Sherlock Holmes with The Count of Monte Cristo captured my attention from the first page. The Holy Ghost Writer, true to him/herself, is constantly coming up with twists and turns. I was unsure how these two would tie together, but it worked out brilliantly. Having read The Count of Monte Cristo years ago and wondering how long it would take to wade through this version, I ended up surprised in the end by its readable and well-condensed qualities. The intermittent interjections from Sherlock and his sidekick Watson help to break up the typically long story, keeping it moving.
The dialogue flows well, and is a great overview of The Count of Monte Cristo as told from a slightly different perspective. My sole complaint would be that there were times I went chapter and after chapter wondering when the reader would encounter some dialogue from Sherlock and Watson again. There are some long stretches which I found myself wanting to hear more from the story’s re-teller. It doesn’t matter if you’ve read the original of not: you will enjoy this version either way. It is, however, enjoyable to compare memories from the original version as you’re reading through this newly re-told version. The modern language appeals to a large crowd. In my opinion this is the most well-written of the the Holy Ghost Writer’s series. ( )
  Jcmrd07 | Aug 15, 2013 |
I’m a huge fan of satirical fiction. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is one of my favorite reads. So, I was thrilled to see this new series based on The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Thinking it was humor, I purchased all the books in the series prepared to laugh my butt off. Instead, I was intrigued with an expanded account of Edmond Dantès’ adventures. It turned out to be a great treat.

Young and naïve sailor Edmond Dantès returns from his latest voyage with plans to provide for his father, and marry his love Mercedes. The death of his ship’s captain has given him a chance for promotion. With his new position, Edmond would have the means and social standing to give his bride-to-be a wonderful life. But, as always, there is a hater. In fact, poor Edmond has a few haters.

Danglers, a junior officer on Edmond’s ship, is pretty salty (no pun intended) that the younger seaman is getting the promotion to Captain when he is the older, experienced sailor. And Fernand, a guy who creepily lusts after his cousin Mercedes (yes, THE Mercedes), wants to see Edmond at the bottom of Davy Jones’ Locker. Danglers and Fernand conspire to falsely accuse the man who would be Captain of treason. The accusation soon lands him in prison. While serving time, Edmond befriends Abbé Faria, a fellow prisoner. Their companionship provides the tools Edmond needs to one day seek revenge on the men responsible for putting him in prison.

This retelling was a pleasant read with plenty of action that kept the plot moving. Most of this is, of course, thanks to Mr. Dumas. The Holy Ghost Writer maintains the integrity of the book by adhering closely to the original novel. Where it differs is in the story telling method. The reader is led to believe that Sherlock Holmes, here a real-life person, is sharing the tale with Dr. Watson from his own investigation and personal knowledge of the actual Edmond Dantès. Watson is surprised with the revelation, and is enthralled the entire book. You will be, too. ( )
  Jada_W | Aug 7, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible