Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles) (Volume…

Pendulum (The Neumarian Chronicles) (Volume 2)

by Ciara Knight

So, this book was a breath of fresh air to me compared to the last one. While the last one started off quite a bit rocky for me and stayed that through most of the book, this one was very well put together. The story was more concrete and worked most of the time. Apart from a few times where contrasting statements appeared this was an all around great second book in this trilogy.

Due to the events ending the first book, this one doesn't really focus on the queen. I mean, they talk about her in regards to how to defeat her and the fact that Semara is related to her and the possibility she could be using Semara as a weapon, but mainly in this book they are focusing on finding allies with which to fight her. They do find this, and more, but even more important, Semara finds out parts of her past which until now have eluded her.

So many things are revealed in this book. The truth behind the lies given to her when she was just a small child. And after a betrayal where Semara is almost sentenced to basically die, since no one makes it out of the place she was to be sent to alive, she is led to the one man who can confirm this truth.

I believe in this book that Semara is coming to find out who she really is. I mean, her friends are too, especially Raeth, who has found indescribable happiness, something she has deserved, or at least I felt she deserved since the ordeal which took her leg, but Semara, someone who has not had anyone since the queen took her aboard her ship all those years ago, has found a place. Albeit a somewhat unsure one since she must prove her loyalty to those trying to stop the queen, and she must also gain their trust, but a place nonetheless. It is far more stable than the running she did throughout the first book and the beginning of this one, and ultimately, she is able to almost breathe again. Well, between plotting and planning and helping to keep her people alive, yeah, she can totally breathe.

All in all, so far this book is my favorite in this trilogy. It just flows so much better than the first and definitely goes at a much faster pace than the previous one. Completely worth the read. ( )
  westkayla1221 | Oct 16, 2014 |
I applaud Ciara Knight for not disappointing and for creating a book even better than the first book. I don’t know where to begin. So much happened in this book that my mind is still thinking about everything that happened.

This story continues right after Escapement ends. Semara and her friends are still on the run, trying to escape the Queen’s pawns while trying to survive. Through this new journey, Semara will continue to face sadness, will encounter new people and will keep facing betrayal.

What I love about Semara is that she doesn’t put herself in danger knowingly, like other dystopian books Divergent. She is part of the Triune, the three people that will destroy the Queen and she doesn’t put herself before anyone else and helps those in need if she knows she can actually do it without compromising herself or others.

Something that this book has lots of is ACTION! Pure, nail-biting, sitting-on-edge action! I loved it! Readers will NOT be disappointed at all! It is suspense-filled and the very well done kind. ( )
  GenGenBookBlog | Oct 7, 2014 |
Semara and Ryder what a passionate love story.
With all the death, destruction, betrayal, war and hatred they knew how to survive and continue to love each other.
Pentun and Reiyth what a cute couple they make and Ryder protection it’s just so cute.
Now about the whole story this is a second book actually and I didn’t read the first one ( I’m searching for the first one though) because a lot of thing to understand from the first book in order to continue the story for the second book.
But still Pendulum is a good book to enjoy for syfy and romance funs because it’s a mix between both. ( )
  Noussaiba | Jan 17, 2014 |
I would like to thank both NetGalley and Ciara Knight for granting me the chance to read this eARC in exchange for an honest review. Though I received the e-book for free that in no way influences this review.

Haunting memories.

Terrifying dreams.

Crippling lies.

Trapped in a world of deception, my sanity rests with the love of Ryder Arteres and our renegade friends. Six months of scouring the ocean floor in a rebel ship fleeing our homeland, delivers us to a possible alliance with the opportunistic European Council. Our only hope is to utilize our forbidden gifts to free our people from slavery, proving our worth. But when a trusted ally turns traitor and a new breed of the queen’s weaponry is revealed, I’m forced to face the terror of my past to save our crumbling future.

DO NOT READ AHEAD if you've not read book one yet, as there are spoilers for that book within this review.

Semara, Raeth, and Ryder are the Triune, their coming foretold in a prophecy. When their powers combine they are virtually unstoppable, and despite their youth they are looked to as the saviors of all those that live under the tyranny of Queen Mandessa Valderak and Council, Neumarians and humans alike.

Having been rescued at the coast during a battle with the Queen and her forces, the small, tight-knit group are now on board the Freedom, making their way towards the UE leaders in order to join forces with them to eradicate the Queen and the corrupt Councils from the face of the Earth. During their lengthy undersea journey Semara, Ryder, Raeth, Penton, and Bendar become even closer as they get to know one another outside of immediate life threatening situations. Each of them works in some capacity on the vessel, with the exception of Dred, who is being kept in an induced coma due to the extensive injuries he sustained.

Captain Gordon and his first mate Mart run the Freedom, but make sure to put the extra hands to use. When not working her shift on the Bridge Captian Gordon works with Semara to regress her memories, as he believes she holds the key to defeating the Queen locked somewhere inside her head. Unfortunately it would seem that another Neumarian may have put a block on her memories, making accessing them next to impossible, and certainly very dangerous. One of the risks comes when she is regressed, for if she becomes agitated or upset she could easily kill them all by accidentally releasing her powers and melting the ship. As they near the UE Captain Gordon presses her harder for something concrete to help win the war; though he has never been unkind to her, the more they work together the less she trusts him. However she can't quite put her finger on what is causing her growing sense of unease - though apparently she isn't the only one who feels that way.

Meanwhile Semara learns that Dred is being kept in the coma at first mate Mart's command. Dr. Thornton is not allowed to see anyone, so he hasn't been able to tell anyone about Mart's command, or her plan to have Dred brought to the Tower upon docking, for the charge of treason. Dr. Thornton is against this plan, but until Semara showed up had no hope of defeating it. A plan is put into action, and the friends are forced to put not only Dred's life, but their own, in Captain Gordon's hands.

Again the small party have numerous adventures, each more harrowing than the last. However they get the reward of finally making it to the leader of the entire global resistance, General Bellator. While with him they learn that both Uncle Fallon and Dr. Thornton have been thrown in the Tower and are awaiting execution. Refusing to leave Fallon behind General Bellator launches a rescue mission with the Triune & friends. But the Triune and their friends refuse to rescue Fallon and not Dr. Thornton as well. Unfortunately once they find and when they Thornton they learn the whole thing was a trap, just as they had suspected. Once again they feel the sharp sting of betrayal.

In the end Semara must overcome all her old fears if she is to face down the Queen's Genera to defeat him. Thankfully she has the help of her friends, along other resistance fighters - but not before a member of the Triune is kidnapped by the enemy. Will all three members of the Triune manage to hold it together long enough to survive their injuries, escape their captor, alert the others to their location, and mount a rescue? Or did the Queen's General succeed? Is the Triune shattered for good, the prophecy broken? What a way to leave the readers aching for more! Now the real question is, how long will we have to wait for those answers? ( )
  Isisunit | Jan 13, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,617,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible