Sins of the Lost by Linda Poitevin

Sins of the Lost

by Linda Poitevin

I am completely in love with Linda Poitevin’s story. Sins of the Lost grabs you and doesn’t let go!

Alex can’t seem to catch a break. Awful circumstances keep coming up. She’s just trying to figure out her new relationship with Seth. She thought she was done with Heaven’s plans, but they keep pulling her back in. How much more can Alex handle before she loses her grip on reality. I adore Amarael. He’s given up so much, and continues to do so without complaining about it, too much. I had a hard time with Seth in this book. I loved him in Sins of the Angels, but he’s gone through so much and it affects him as a person. His only care is Alex, nothing else.

Sins of the Lost has so many ups and downs. I love Alex’s wit and determination to save all of humanity. She never loses sight of what’s right. There are also bittersweet moments. And you’ll need the tissues! I cried at a few parts. I just can’t even explain. People in Heaven and Hell are trying to save themselves. Things unfold in the most impossible ways. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
4 ½ Stars - What a book! I need more ASAP.
Review to come closer to release date. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Armageddon is ramping up, and both Heaven and Hell are wanting Seth to fight on their side. This is not going to end well…

Opening Sentence: “You want me to what?”

The Review:

This series is proof of my belief that when starting a series, you need to read at least the first two books before deciding if you’re going to continue or not. I gave the first book in this series 3 stars, but it was a low 3 if that makes sense. Then I read the second book, and it was a definite 5 stars, and I started this next book right away. This one is 4 stars, mainly because little things that have irked me in the series continued to irk me this time around, and I didn’t find it quite as fast-paced as book 2.

It’s only been a few weeks since the events of book 2. Alex is trying to carve out a life with Seth, but this is proving to be more difficult than either of them anticipated. Seth is having trouble identifying with any human other than Alex, and any time Seth tries to touch her, Alex can’t help but remember Lucifer disguising himself as Seth and raping her. Her work life isn’t much better, with random acts of violence escalating against pregnant women due to the “virus,” aka Fallen Ones going around impregnating human women, who then give birth and die all within a three week period. The stress is building up, and Alex has nowhere and no one to turn to.

Aramael has been made an Archangel and is struggling to ignore his remaining soulmate connection to Alex. This becomes difficult when Michael orders him to watch over her after realizing that Samael is following her. Thus, he’s forced to watch Alex as she lives her life with the man she chose over him.

In Heaven, the One is struggling and failing to contain the aftereffects of Seth’s giving up his powers. She tells Michael that they need to have Alex convince Seth to take them back and return to Heaven, a task that is easier said than done. Meanwhile, in Hell, Lucifer is continuing to look for Alex’s sister and niece to fulfill his plan to create an extremely powerful Nephilim. What more could go wrong?

Something that alternately pleases and vexes me about these books is that the characters are flawed. I love Alex. I can’t imagine how strong she must be to deal with everything she’s learned in the span of a month, but at the same time, she drives me crazy with her inability to talk to anyone about what she’s feeling. Instead, she bottles everything up, and it ends up making the situation that much worse. I heaved many a frustrated sigh at some of her actions during the course of the story.

In the same way, I love Seth. I liked him more than Aramael in both books 1 and 2. He just seems to have more personality than Aramael, who often comes off a little flat to me. In this book though, Seth drove me up a wall. I had such a hard time seeing him as the same character I’ve loved for the past two books. I like that Linda Poitevin can surprise me like that, but at the same time, it was truly heartbreaking to see his actions at times in this book.

My feelings about Aramael remain the same. I like him, but mainly just because I can tell that he’s a good guy. Other than that, I don’t feel much one way or the other toward him. I’ve always had a hard time feeling a connection between him and Alex, which makes it hard for me to deal with the whole “soulmate” thing.

While the events of previous books are discussed, I still think it’s best to read the series in order, if for anything else, to get a sense of who each of the characters are, which would make certain events much more meaningful. Point of view changes constantly, so if you’re a fan of just one or two narrators, this probably isn’t the series for you. If multiple points of view don’t bother you, and the idea of a different take on Armageddon intrigues you, then you definitely need to give this series a try! After these last two books, it’s definitely made it on my list of must-read series!

Notable Scene:

“Something’s not right.”

His wings instantly unfurled part way, brushing against a parliamentary page who glanced around, saw nothing, and gave a puzzled shrug. Scowling, Aramael folded the wings close again.

“What?” he asked. “I feel no Fallen-”

“No.” Alex shot him a warning look. “That stroller down there.” She nodded her head toward the lawn. “I don’t see anyone with it. I want to have a look.”

“I’m coming with you.”

Striding across the driveway, she headed down the stairs, Aramael at her back. One of the plainclothes RCMP officers beside the podium looked toward her, eyes hidden behind sunglasses. Alex turned the lapel of her coat over to expose her badge and gave a jerk of her head to the right. The woman frowned and leaned forward to murmur something to her burly colleague, who also looked toward Alex. With a nod, he returned to his crowd surveillance. The female officer stepped away from her position and crossed the grass, intercepting Alex halfway between the podium and the stroller. “You are-?”

“Alexandra Jarvis, Toronto Homicide. This is my partner, Jacob Trent.”

Barely glancing at Aramael, the woman responded, “Julia Greer, RCMP. What’s up?”

“That stroller.” Alex nodded past her. “No one’s with it.”

Greer swiveled and did a quick reconnaissance. “You’re right.”

Alex fell into step beside her. Greer lifted her left hand to her face. “We have what appears to be an unattended stroller on the west side of the podium,” she murmured into the microphone clipped inside her sleeve. “I’m taking a look.”

A half dozen pairs of sunglasses swiveled in their direction, tracking their progress. Fifteen feet, ten. At the center of the group clustered nearby, a man raised a cell phone as if to take a photo. Alex’s steps slowed. She frowned at the words on the sign he held aloft in his other hand. Luke 21:23.

Luke, chapter twenty-one, verse twenty-three. A biblical reference.

Son of a-

The man moved his thumb.

FTC Advisory: InterMix/Penguin provided me with a copy of Sins of the Lost. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jan 20, 2014 |
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Poitevin’s Grigori Legacy series has really hit its stride with this latest installment, Sins of the Lost. The storm that’s been brewing between Heaven and Hell has finally reached its breaking point and, with a cast of characters that includes Archangels, The One and the Devil himself; this book can accurately be summed up by one word and that word is EPIC. Sins of the Lost is a compelling read that’s difficult to put down and even harder to forget with its apocalypse inspired action, out-of-this-world love triangle and jaw dropping plot line; reading 360 pages has never felt so satisfying.

The author doesn’t waste any time on things like gently easing readers back into her universe; this story roars to life in the first chapter and reaches full speed a mere handful of pages later. The focus of this book is on the impact that the war between Heaven and Hell has had on humanity rather than on the divine aspect and I really enjoyed this approach. I found man’s reaction to this new threat to be as fascinating as it was appalling. I had a good chuckle over Ottawa’s “alien theory” but couldn’t hold back my disgust when Alex gets called to a crime scene where the victims were stoned to death. The world leaders’ proposed solutions to this new danger are just as extreme and range from enacting martial law, to placing all pregnant women under quarantine to replicating drastic measures similar to the SARS crisis of 2003. Humanity is not equipped to deal with the apocalypse, that much is clear; this book does a great job of illustrating the best and the worst of mankind.

The Seth / Aramael / Alex love triangle is put through the wringer in this installment; my nails are going to take a few weeks to recover from all that biting! I hadn’t fully made up my mind about which team I was rooting for until 3/4 of the way through book 3 only to have Poitevin yank the rug right out from under me. I’m so heartbroken! There’s only one novel left (I asked!) and I don’t see how Alex can possibly ever get the happily-ever-after ending that I had envisioned for her. That being said, the clashes between Aramael and Seth are legendary! And I can’t believe how much the latter’s views on relationships differ from Alex’s; yes, he’s not human, but still! Choosing the one you love over the fate of the human race isn’t romantic it’s… selfish.

Sins of the Lost is a wild ride that lifts you up, makes you believe in the impossible, and then kicks you in the (in my case) metaphorical nuts. Encore! Encore! ( )
  RabidReads | Oct 21, 2013 |

Heaven and Hell are on the brink of war as Lucifer builds his Nephilim army and waits for his new weapon to be born--a Nephilim child of his own bloodline to lead his forces to cataclysmic victory. With rumors of the pending war rampant on Earth, Alex Jarvie fights to save humanity from its own panic--leaving little time for her fledgling relationship with Seth, the man with heavenly origins who has captured her heart. But when Nephilim children begin to disappear, along with Alex's own vulnerable niece, the inevitable war between Heaven and Hell becomes personal. Heaven has its own plans to fight the coming apocalypse, but first it needs Seth back. Asked to betray the man she loves, Alex must turn for help to the soulmate she thought she'd given up--the Archangel Aramael, who may be her last chance to save her family and humanity from the ashes of Lucifer's Armageddon.… (more)

Linda Poitevin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible