Cursed by Destiny by Cecy Robson

Cursed by Destiny

by Cecy Robson

505233,859 (4)None

Cursed by Destiny is the third book in the Weird Girls series by Cecy Robson.

First let me start by saying that Cursed by Destiny shouldn’t be read alone, it should be read as a part of the series. I also highly recommend you to read the novella, A Cursed Moon, before reading this book to get the whole effect of the wonderful world Cecy Robson has created in her Weird Girls series.

After the end of A Cursed Embrace (second book) saying I was eagerly waiting for this book is the understatement of the year. In A Cursed Embrace Mrs. Robson ripped my heart and stomped on it, but the worst part of it it’s that she has made me a masochist, and left me wanting for more. I’m glad to say that in Cursed by Destiny she delivered. Cecy Robson fixed my heart, broke it again and left me panting and wanting for more. You see what I’m saying? She is an evil author that loves to torture her readers. I love what she does to me with her magic, that one, which we called “Words”.

Cursed by Destiny starts couple of days after the events in A Cursed Embrace. Celia is trying to live her life and not to think much about Aric’s upcoming nuptials. For her own protection and that of her sisters she is staying at Misha’s compound. Misha is helping her by training her and teaching her how to master her powers. Even though Misha wants something else with Celia she is clear of her feelings, she loves Misha as a friend and knows a relationship between them would never work. Her heart belongs to Aric.
Celia has come a long way and we see that very clear in this installment. She has grown and matured a lot as a character, without changing the essence of what made her the Celia we have loved throughout the series.

I have always loved Misha and after this installment I love him even more. I would have loved for him to have something with Celia, but after reading Cursed by Destiny it is clear Celia is not the woman for him. I’m sure Cecy and her Machiavellian brain has other plans for him, and if I’m right I’m really happy with that new twist in the story. *bows down to Cecy*

I disliked Aric very much after what he did in A Cursed Embrace; but now in this installment, Cecy gives us his side of the story and shows us clearly that his position is not as easy as we could hope. Saying he’s between a rock and a hard place doesn’t encompasses his complicated situation. He really loves Celia, but there are other factors he can’t and should not discount, because they not only affect him, but others around him as well.

As with previous books, Celia’s sisters play an important part in the story, they remind me to The Three Musketeers (that actually were four like the Wird sisters), they are always there for the other, regardless of the danger or consequences of their actions. I’m sure their motto is also “All for one, one for all”.
It was good to see where they are with their significant others and see the changes Cecy had in store from some of them. You need to read this book to see what I’m talking about; let’s just say… Kudos to Cecy for the risks she took in Cursed by Destiny.

Cecy Robson is the Queen of the Twists and Turns and a Cursed by Destiny was not different from her previous books. In this installment she gave us a new contender for Celia’s heart, a were-lion named Tye. I couldn’t care less for him when he was first introduced, but along the story he grew up on me. Tye is pompous, presumptions and very sensual, a perfect representative of the lion clan. But, that is not all, Tye is also caring, funny and all around a really nice guy. Cecy, Cecy! Why do you love to mess with my head/heart so much!?

Cursed by Destiny is a roller coaster of emotions with so many twists and turns that you won’t be able to discern which way is up and which way is down. Some questions about Celia and her family are answered and some are left unanswered, left waiting for us to discover in books to come.
Cursed by Destiny is an action packed book that will keep you on the edge of you chair and will leave you feeling like you passed through a grinder. That’s the power Cecy Robson has with her words.

Before reading Cursed by Destiny I recommend you to have the take out menu handy as well as a bottle of water, because from the moment you start this book is going to be impossible to put it down until you reach its very end, and when you get to the end you will be in such a shock that you won’t know how to move or what to do next. Yes! Cecy sucker punches us again with the end. OMFG! An end that I kind of saw coming, but despite that, it still left me flabbergasted, and dying to get my greedy hands on next book in the series.

I can’t recommend you enough Cursed by Destiny, but as I said before this book should be read as part of a series. If you haven’t read previous books of the Weird Girls series you don’t know what you are missing. Cursed by Destiny and the Weird Girls series in general are a must read for urban fantasy fans.
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I am not a fan of Romeo and Juliet. I'm sure this comes as a stunning revelation to anyone reading this who has read my previous reviews in the romance category. (Not.) Tragic love is just not my thing.

That's why this book got three stars from me. Celia and Aric are just too Romeo and Juliet. Also, the character behind the machinations was glaringly obvious to me from about 1/4 of the way through the book. While I'm griping, Misha was too heavy-handed and manipulative, but that's probably just a personal complaint since the author likens him to a viking, which makes me imagine Thor (my personal weakness). Thor isn't manipulative. Ever.

Ok, so now that the griping is over, I actually enjoyed most of this book. I think the sisters are great characters as are most of the wolves. The vampires, I'm a bit ambivalent about - they do add some rather odd humour here and there and this book struck me as more humorous in general. The sex scenes are befitting two people that turn into animals, but not gratuitous. Lots of action, lots of blood and guts of the supernatural evil kind. Although:

A demon that looks like a maggot?? Really?? That's not horrifying or even a little bit scary, that's just disgusting!

Overall, I enjoy this series, but I'm over the whole "we must be together! / We can't be together!" crap. Enough already. ( )
  murderbydeath | Sep 20, 2014 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Celia Wird has had a lot happening to her lately. Now, she has to figure out how to live with vampires while fending off attacks from the Tribe and dealing with a broken heart. Surely, life will get easier at some point, right?

Opening Sentence: “Are you ready, Celia?”

The Review:

I really think this series improves with every book. The second book started off a bit rough but I was hooked by the end. Now, in book three, I was interested from the very beginning. The pace was great, with very few slow parts. One of my biggest issues with the second book did not seem to be a problem here, although I do still have some issues with the love triangle. All in all though, this was a fun ride from start to finish.

Celia Wird’s life could be going better. She’s living with vampires because the idea of living with her sisters and their werewolf lovers is too painful now that she and Aric are no longer together. Other than Misha, the vampires are none too thrilled with her presence and make no effort to help her feel welcome. She has daily hardcore training sessions to try and improve her combat capabilities now that the Tribe is making a point to attack often, and for some reason, they seem to have focused all of their attention on Celia. There have been multiple attempts on her life, and no one has any idea why the Tribe believes Celia is so dangerous. One thing is obvious: they need to take the fight to the Tribe rather than waiting for another attack. Add in Aric’s upcoming wedding, and Celia has a lot on her plate right now. Will she survive the Tribe’s frequent attacks? More importantly, will she be able to figure out how to live a life without Aric?

Celia is still a great heroine. She’s very emotionally vulnerable right now, but she’s still able to focus on the mission at hand when she needs to, which makes me admire her greatly. There were many times my heart broke for her due to the various incidents that were happening. She handled everything amazingly well though and became stronger because of it.

While I felt bad for Celia with everything that’s going on with Aric, I still don’t like him that much as far as the love triangle goes, which is very unfortunate because it’s very obvious he’s the one I’m supposed to prefer. I think this is probably due more to my personal preferences than any fault with Aric’s characterization though. Misha is just more my type, with his great sense of humor and his general attitude. Aric just seems stiff in comparison, and I can’t bring myself to like him. Hopefully that will change as the series goes on.

In the previous book, there seemed to be a lot of instances where the book would skip ahead in time and just fill the reader in on what happened in the interim, which greatly annoyed me. Thankfully, that didn’t happen this time around. While there were still some abrupt scene transitions, I never felt that I was missing something important.

This installment in the Weird Girls series is full of action from start to finish. There are lighthearted moments and moments that break your heart. I experienced many different emotions throughout the story, and I look forward to experiencing even more in the next book!

Notable Scene:

We didn’t sense anything at first, until the ground began to tremble. There was a loud squishing sound, similar to someone pulling his or her galoshes out of the mud.

“Oh, shit. That can’t be good,” Bren said.

“Celia, get your sisters and- Where the hell is Shayna?” Koda’s head whipped around, searching for his mate.

Shayna barreled down the stairs, holding the sapphire encrusted daggers Misha had once gifted her and Taran’s necklace fastened around her neck. Silver light streaked from platinum facets and into her arms. The diamonds glimmered in a burst of light as Shayna’s power transformed the daggers into long and deadly swords.

Squish, squash, squish.

Gemini stalked toward the door. “It’s getting closer. Everyone outside- now!“

“I don’t want Shayna involved,” Koda growled.

Gemini furrowed his brows. “There’s no choice, Koda. It’s too late to get them to safety.”

Shayna jetted past me, her determination tensing her slender frame while fear blanched her face.

She was spooked. And yet there she was the first one out the door. Koda and I bolted after her. I didn’t understand her need to race ahead of us, especially given her blatant terror. I stopped short of plowing into her when she stumbled to a halt on the snowy front lawn. She froze, her focus glued toward the sloping entrance of our neighborhood.

I froze too, when I saw what had crashed the party. Oh, hell no.

What appeared to be a giant maggot, the size of a city bus, slithered and crept its way along our cul-de-sac in wet and small slimy bounces.

Gemini rushed to my side. “Taran,” he growled, “put the neighbors to sleep-as many as you can. No one else needs to see this.”

I wished she could have done the same for me. The thing looked nasty. I didn’t remember Buffy having to deal with this shit.

FTC Advisory: Signet/Penguin provided me with a copy of Cursed by Destiny. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Sep 1, 2014 |
I was SO depressed after A CURSED EMBRACE ended. The cliffhanger was a doozy and CURSED BY DESTINY couldn't come fast enough. The depression continues for a pretty large amount of book 3 but there are some great developments involved as well.

I really enjoy this series and the characters. It's very hard to write a review when your feelings are all mixed up. CURSED BY DESTINY as a whole was really enjoyable but I really, really, really want Celia to catch a break. Not only in the relationship department either. She just always seems to get the short end of the stick in situations and it bums me out.

A LOT happens in CURSED BY DESTINY . It isn't all that pretty, and it isn't all that great, but it all continues to tie the story together and develop the characters and storyline. I very much enjoyed meeting Aric's mom and when she puts the fiancé in her place I wanted to throw my arm in the air and whoop (ok I admit, I did that). Celia's sisters continue to show how much they love her and I enjoy how the author continues to bring out their storylines while keeping Celia in the forefront. The men of the series really have a way of pissing you off and falling in love with them all over again. Is it just me that feels that way?

My heart actually hurt in many points of the story and I cried, and I yelled at the characters and I wanted to throw my book across the room .. but that is what makes a great book! I love a book where my emotions match the situations. I love when an author can bring out the tears, the anger, the frustration and happiness in a reader as the character feels those emotions. Cecy has accomplished this and has continued to accomplish this and that is one of the things that keeps me coming back for more. Bring on book 4, I am more than ready!

* This book was provided free of charge from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
  STACYatUFI | Jan 15, 2014 |
Our review, by LITERAL ADDICTION’s Vivacious Valkyrie – Marta:

--Actual rating 4.5 Skulls

*eARC received from the Publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Cursed by Destiny is the third book in the Weird Girls series about Celia and her three sisters. Not ordinary but definitely extraordinary these sisters have unique powers that always make them a target for evil. Celia is an amazingly cool character whose life is certainly cursed! Struggling to fight demons whilst trying to have a love life is no mean feat and Celia is in trouble!

Celia has found and now lost the man of her dreams! Aric is a werewolf and wants more than anything to mate with Celia but because she is not a pure blood shifter he has been forced to leave her and find a mate considered more suitable. Celia is understandably devastated and seeks to find a way to cope by working for the Vampire lord Misha. He's more than happy to collaborate with her as they share a common hatred of the Tribe of demons and hybrids that are determined to take over the world. The fact that Misha wants Celia as more than just a supernatural weapon is driving her mad. He's a very sexy guy for somoene not alive but right now Celia has enough problems. It's becoming clear that she is being targeted and no one around her is safe.

Struggling just to stay alive is a full time endeavour but when Aric starts getting involved what should Celia do? The feelings they share are not in any doubt and yet Aric seems to be going along with what others tell him. Can Celia stay alive long enough to work things out or will she have to turn to Misha for help? One thing is certain if she accepts all that Misha is offering there will be no going back!

Fabulous series and such fun to read. I adore paranormal and urban stories and this series just doesn't disappoint. Full of action and snarky characters with more than a smattering of troubled romance what's not to like? The fact that a love triangle dominates just adds to the fun! Fans will have their favourite character no doubt but for me I'm just happy to sit back and let the author decide. Team Aric or team Misha? This book will have you cursing at her choice!

LITERALADDICTION | Dec 19, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451416759, Mass Market Paperback)

Celia Wird and her three sisters are just like other 20-something girls—with one tiny exception: they're products of a backfired curse that has given each of them unique powers that make them, well, weird…

Celia’s a girl in trouble.  Her heart is bound to Aric, but he is a pureblood were who must deny her or risk condemning his species to extinction.  And that’s just her love life. She’s also been called to take down a group of demon terrorists looking to overthrow the paranormal world. (No pressure.)

In order to bring them down, Celia must ally herself to Misha, the master vampire who has made no secret of his desire for her.

And if that weren’t enough misfortune for one girl, a clairvoyant’s prediction could destroy Celia and Aric’s love for good. The only way to protect the world from unbridled supernatural terrorism is for Celia to bind herself to her destined mate. And that doesn’t appear to be Aric…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:15 -0400)

While taking down a group of terrorists determined to destroy the paranormal world, Celia Weird must deal with Aric, the pureblood werewolf to which her heart is bound, who must deny their love or risk condemning his species to extinction.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,380,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible