Warning Signs (Love Inspired Suspense) by…

Warning Signs (Love Inspired Suspense)

by Katy Lee

This little book was a big surprise. Author Katy Lee has bravely approached a style of writing that I, personally, have never seen before. The heroine of our story is deaf, and communicates mainly by ASL, and usually through an interpreter. When I first realized this, I was intruged, and curious how Ms. Lee would handle the dialogue. Not only was the signing was written beautifully, it gave insight into the thinking of one who is deaf and the way they view and approach their gift.

The DEA has sent Agent Owen Matthews to Stepping Stones, Maine to uncover a marijuana smuggling operation, the prime suspect being the new high-school principal, Miriam Hunter. Miriam has considered it a priviledge and honor that her childhood town would ask her to be the new principal of a hearing-school. But she finds the town to be very cold and even hostile. After betrayal and threatenings, Miriam finds an odd comfort in the help of Owen Matthews, agent-undercover as a substitute English Lit teacher. Their odd connection? She is deaf, as is his son. Will they learn to understand each other? Or will she go to prison for a crime she didn't commit?

Katy Lee's writing is superb, and while her story is a bit "unreal" the people of Stepping Stones certainly aren't. This little book was surprisingly clean (I'd let my 13 year-old sister read it.) For light pool-side reading, this is the novel for you! ( )
  Kaitlin_Wachter | Aug 29, 2013 |
Miriam Hunter wants to live a normal life despite her deafness. She's hopeful about that happening when she's asked to return to Stepping Stones, Maine, to be school principal. But she's also apprehensive because of difficult childhood memories and the nightmares that now plague her. Someone is smuggling drugs and the locals think Miriam is involved along with her interpreter. The local sheriff calls on his DEA friend, Owen Matthews, to help solve the case. Owen is drawn to Miriam and surprised to find out she's deaf, just like his son. Miriam is drawn to Owen but she's sure he feels like everyone else, she can't do her job correctly because she's hearing impaired. Owen wants to help her but someone is very determined to get Miriam and her memories out of the picture, for good. Can they figure out who before it's to late?

Katy Lee has spun a web that entangles the reader, right from the start, in the lives of Miriam Hunter and Owen Matthews. I found myself completely immersed in the story and left guessing, until the end, who was involved. Miriam was a wonderful heroine. One I could easily be friends with. She had an inner strength that was admirable, especially when you discover the way she grew up. Her faith was strong, yet she struggled, just like we do. Owen was such a great guy. Guilt was his whole world until he came face-to-face with Miriam, who challenged his thinking. I loved watching these two together. Lots of chemistry there! You know, I was reminded that the Lord is faithful, even in difficult situations. He always knows just what we need and when. What and encouraging reminder. Warning Signs was well written and delivers the perfect blend of action, suspense and romance that is sure to satisfy every reader.

*This complimentary copy was provided by the author and publisher in exchange for an honest review*
Series: Love Inspired Suspense
Mass Market Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: Love Inspired (October 1, 2013)
ISBN-10: 0373445598
ISBN-13: 978-0373445592

For more information on this book or other books by Katy Lee, I encourage you to visit her website at http://www.katyleebooks.com/ ( )
  love2readnovels | Aug 27, 2013 |
My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
                                                                         ---John 1:27

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
                           ---Isaiah 41:10
To the lovely ladies Sue and Val, who are our interpreters for our deaf brothers and sisters at Christ at my church. Your dedication to interpret every service allows many to "hear" the Lord's message. God bless you and your ministry.
Drug Enforcement agent Owen Matthews gripped the wheel of his rented sports boat as he coasted through the North Atlantic at barely half throttle.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373445598, Mass Market Paperback)

GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT

When a drug-smuggling ring rocks a small coastal town, the DEA sends Agent Owen Matthews to shut it down. A single father with a deaf son, Owen senses that the town's number one suspect—the high school's new principal—doesn't fit the profile. Miriam Hunter hoped to shrug off the stigma of her hearing impairment when she returned to Stepping Stones, Maine. But her recurring nightmares dredge up old memories that could prove her innocence—and uncover the truth behind a decades-old murder. Yet Owen's help may not be enough when someone decides to keep Miriam silenced—permanently.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:48 -0400)

When a drug-smuggling ring rocks a small coastal town, the DEA sends Agent Owen Matthews to shut it down. A single father with a deaf son, Owen senses that the town's number one suspect, the high school's new principal, doesn't fit the profile. Miriam Hunter hoped to shrug off the stigma of her hearing impairment when she returned to Stepping Stones, Maine. But her recurring nightmares dredge up old memories that could prove her innocence, and uncover the truth behind a decades-old murder. Yet Owen's help may not be enough when someone decides to keep Miriam silenced, permanently.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible