The Foiled Knight by John C. Stipa

The Foiled Knight

by John C. Stipa

811,035,133 (5)None
author (1) book (1) coma (1) Davis (1) drama (1) evil (1) foil (1) friendship (1) hospital (1) John C. Stipa (1) John Stipa (1) kidnapping (1) knight (1) love (1) loyalty (1) mystery (1) new writers (1) Palmer (1) redemption (1) romance (2) Stan (1) Tanya (1) thriller (2) to-read (2)

After having read my first Stipa novel, "No Greater Sacrifice", I was delighted that John published another book!

"The Foiled Knight" is a story that both grabbed my heart and got under my skin. I felt like the characters would walk into my home any minute, proving to be as real as my neighbors. I wanted to hug some of them (Fenton, Sandra) and punch others in the face (Ernie, Dell).

After years of being saved by her 'foiled knight', Tanya must now come to his aid. Stan's sudden coma reverses their roles after a lifetime of friendship and memories. Tanya must face the long overdue realization that she was the one foiling Stan's attempts to desperately save her life from ruin and from Dell's poorly disguised love.
Fenton and Sandra unknowingly help Tanya unlock the mysteries of her and Stan's shared pasts. Tanya must revisit the pain of her ex-husband's abuse and years of damage from peers such as Ernie and Eileen. At the same time, she must redirect her focus in life as she travels down memory lane time after time, thanks to a kidnapping that put Stan in a coma and endangered Holly Matthews.
Ernie is the perfect evil and mean-spirited bad guy. His manipulation of Dell is disgusting and shows what an idiot Dell is by his blind ignorance of a woman who tried to save him from himself. Ernie uses his bitter childhood as fuel for hatred that almost costs 3 people their lives and costs Dell his future in more ways than one. Young and innocent Holly proves to be a valuable asset in saving Tanya even as Tanya works to save both Holly and Stan.

My favorite chapter of "The Foiled Knight" is Chapter 40. An abused maiden-in-distress reaches out in her trauma to a confused and misdirected new friend who literally stumbles into her life. They don't even realize how much they are helping each other while thwarting a life-threatening criminal. Painful memories finally shed light on a potentially disastrous situation and a love almost lost forever, changing a young girl's fate at the same time.

Most endearing character--Fitzy: you just gotta love the guy. Strongest character--Sandra: she keeps vigil over her damaged son-- a devastating role for any parent, welcomes Tanya, Kurt and Laura back into her life, and shows her kindness towards others and sense of humor as she works to keep Fenton in line.
Mr. Stipa shows professional grace as he teases the reader with just the right amount of mystery and suspense, but not so much as to make a person want to just jump to the end of the book and be cheated out of the wonderful journey. It's a story you want to sit back and enjoy for as long as it lasts. The transition from one scene to another is to be admired. Although there are many characters of importance, it is not confusing for the reader and allows better bonding with them.

I hope you also enjoy the author's notes as I did. They provide an additional treat to a great story! If you like his work, please visit John C. Stipa on Facebook or Goodreads. ( )
  ShawneeB | Sep 1, 2013 |

Tanya Davis receives that dreaded late night phone call: Stan Palmer has been critically injured in a car accident. Stan and Tanya were once close. That is, until she broke his heart, an act of cowardice for which she’s never forgiven herself. Given a second chance to make up for her past wrongdoings, Tanya digs into the facts surrounding Stan’s accident. What initially looks like icy road conditions turns into a suspicion that someone wants Stan dead. To complicate matters, Tanya has medical power of attorney for Stan, causing friction with the Palmer family. With Stan’s lifeblood ebbing away, the legal system closing in, and danger lurking, can Tanya redeem herself and save her Foiled Knight?

John C. Stipa is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,155,768 books! | Top bar: Always visible