Plainly Murder: A Penguin Special from…

Plainly Murder: A Penguin Special from Obsidian

by Isabella Alan

I liked the story, and recognized it as a pre-quel to the series featuring the same characters by this author. Biggest problem is the many typos and usage errors in this e-book, and the sentence structures that needed to be cleaned up. These should be easily fixed by a good editor. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Jun 28, 2017 |
I pre-ordered the first book in this series, Murder, Plain and Simple, so when I saw this release I grabbed it, eager for an introduction to the characters and setting.

This felt longer than most of the in-between novellas I've read and definitely a bit more involved. Was Eric pushed or did he fall from the roof during a barn raising 15 years ago? It's a very straight forward mystery, as it needs to be in it's shorter format. As such, the suspects are few and the outcome somewhat predictable. But you don't really to buy a novella for the plot, so much as for more information on the characters.

I liked Angie and the dog sounds like a gem. I was disappointed that it seems we can count on a cantankerous old biddy who will be going out of her way to make Angie's life miserable in future books, in the form of Martha, but I might prove to be completely wrong about that. Hopefully she'll be offset by Anna, and possibly Rachel.

Overall, a good introduction if you're interested in reading the first book of the series. ( )
  murderbydeath | Sep 20, 2014 |
This e-book prequel to Alan's Amish Quilt Shop Mystery Series introduces protaganist Angela Braddock, her bird-shy French bulldog Oliver, and Angie's Aunt Eleanor, who became Amish when she married her late husband decades earlier. Angie, who lives, the high-society life of a southern socialite in Texas, nevertheless is a kindred spirit to this quiet unassuming aunt and visits her to help in whatever way she can while her aunt battles an aggressive cancer. The story centers around her aunt's request that Angie deliver a particular quilt to a local Amish woman. Eleanor's dying friend had entrusted the quilt to her with the specific request that she deliver the quilt and ask the young woman to whom she gave it what had happend to her dead son. The friend's son had fallen off a roof during a barn raising and the woman, convinced that he had been pushed, had never gotten over his death. Angie navigates the reluctant to talk about it group of Amish friends and does manage to solve the mystery. I had already read Murder, Plain and Simple, the first full-length novel in this series, and the prequel helped me place the characters in their context. A good quick read. ( )
  SherylHendrix | Jan 4, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible