Kalorama Shakedown by Robert Bruce Stewart

I liked this mystery book because the case is solved with humor, satire, riddles and all that fun, as the author accustomed us in the other books of the series.

Harry Reese and his funny wife Emmie are in Washington to investigate a mysterious case about the disappearance of some valuable jewelry.

It’s complicated to prove who the thief is when there are implicated various people such as: a countess, doctors, colored servants, sergeants, a general, a senator, some newspapermen and even an enthusiastic child.

In the whole puzzle also appear some murders that may be connected to the thefts, secrets well kept, blackmailing letters and a tempting property.

I liked the main characters and the case solving solution, but I felt sorry for poor Emmie. This time she turned fifty shades of red, was covered in mud, people ridiculed her and she was “almost” solving the case.

I’m looking forward for the next mystery of the funny couple! ( )
  florryalyna | Oct 8, 2013 |
This book was an impeccable piece of writing with a shining 5 star quality. It is a longer read but the pages fly as the novel steadily peaks to the climax and shocking ending. This book was phenomenal. It's a crazy adventure right from the get go, and boy, that adventure rages and powers on through all 274 pages of the book. The story is simply amazing.

The characters are likeable and surprisingly realistic. The voice of this novel is quite incredible. Robert Bruce Stewart could really write! This book was amazing. I would highly recommend it to any friend. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Sep 3, 2013 |
To the disenfranchised denizens of D.C., past and present
Even before we left Brooklyn, I had an inkling we'd stumble on a corpse before the business was over.

Boodlers, and pikers, and slyboots… oh my! It’s December 1901, when the paths of three of the era’s notable characters cross in the nation’s capital: the Wizard of Oz, the Countess von Schnurrenberger, and Harry Reese, insurance investigator. Harry has come to Washington to solve a string of jewelry thefts. But first he must match wits with a throng of thirsty newspapermen, a pack of rapacious lobbyists, and a young devotee of the Wizard’s. And as is usual, his dear wife Emmie has her own agenda. [retrieved July 23, 2014 from Amazon.com]

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Robert Bruce Stewart's book Kalorama Shakedown was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Robert Bruce Stewart is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible