Dead End by Craig Faustus Buck
322,001,085 (5)None
Recently added bykevinrtipple, col2910, catya77
2014 (1) B (1) to-read (1)

It isn’t the fact that Dr. Luke Vico drives a BMW worth more than 100 grand that makes him a scumbag. For ex-detective Beltran it is Vico’s public behavior this particular evening as well as what he did to Angela Landau. Vico got away with murder and nothing was right ever again. Maybe Beltran can now figure out a way to fix things.

There is quite a lot going on in this complex short story. Nominated for the 2014 Anthony Award for Best Short Story this material is currently free at the Untreed Reads Store. Dead End is very good. Clearly, Craig Faustus Buck is an author to keep an eye on.

Dead End
Craig Faustus Buck
Untreed Reads Publishing
ASIN: B00D9A37XU
E-Book
16 Pages
$0.99

Material supplied by Untreed Reads Publishing in exchange for my objective review.

Kevin R. Tipple ©2014 ( )
  kevinrtipple | Nov 2, 2014 |
Synopsis/blurb....

Another new author and although this is only a story story I think I'm going to enjoy reading Mr Buck in the future.

I arrived here by way of a hop, skip and a jump, or six degrees of separation for books.

I'm a big fan of author, Tom Kakonis and his books - Treasure Coast, Michigan Roll, Criss Cross to mention a few.

Kakonis has been brought back into the sunlight after years hidden away by the chaps - Lee Goldberg and Joel Goldman at new kid on the block publisher - Brash Books.

Brash Books recently announced that next year they will be publishing Craig Faustus Buck's first full length novel - Go Down Hard.

Liking the sound of this one, I thought I would see whether Buck had written anything else.

Well he has - there's a novella intriguingly titled Psycho Logic which I have now ordered.

Psycho Logic is preceded by Dead End.

Dead End is the Anthony Award nominated short story (winner announced in November), that introduces us to John Beltran - the main man in Psycho Logic.

Simples really.

Back to Dead End then - 16 pages bang, I'm hooked. Within this short time frame of narrative, Buck sucked me in, ratcheting the tension up, before unleashing a finale which, whilst bringing closure of sorts to one of our participants has just ensured that John Beltran's already crap life has just taken a helluva turn for the worse.

Have you ever watched the scary movie where the kids are exploring the village weirdo's empty house, when the occupant comes home and one of them remains trapped inside and the psycho smells something is amiss - the one's where you watch from behind the sofa, peering through your fingers - Buck did that to me.

5 from 5

Craig Faustus Buck's website is here. http://craigfaustusbuck.com/

Acquired on Amazon UK for kindle earlier this month. ( )
  col2910 | Oct 17, 2014 |

Johno Beltran is a former homicide detective who fell from grace when a stupid mistake allowed a rich, sadistic sex killer to go free. When the notorious murderer drives into the restaurant parking lot where Johno now works as a valet, their reunion leads Johno down a dark, twisty road toward a deadly collision between paranoia and reality. A short story.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,639,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible