Wild Wolf by Jennifer Ashley

Wild Wolf
3.5 Stars

Graham McNeil, co-leader of the Las Vegas Shiftertown, has his hands full with an unstable pack reluctantly acclimating to a new environment, a submissive teenage nephew and two unruly wolf cubs whose mission in life is to get into trouble. The one bright light in his life is Misty Granger, a human woman, who calms his wolf and stokes his passions. But when a new threat emerges to place both Misty and his pack in danger, Graham will have to take steps the thwart it or lose Misty forever.

Some interesting developments in the ongoing shifter/fae story arc, but Graham and Misty’s romance falls flat.

As the story begins, Graham and Misty have been in a relationship for a few months, but have yet to establish either a physical or emotional intimacy. Consequently, the sudden progression of their romance feels forced as it is unclear what either one sees in the other. Although Misty is sweet and likable, there is nothing in her rather bland personality to explain Graham’s intense attraction to her. Similarly, Graham’s appeal is also debatable as he spends a great deal of time running hot and cold - both accepting the idea of a connection with Misty while at the same time pushing her away with harsh words and a dismissive attitude.

The fae collar conspiracy progresses further in this installment with more details on the fae’s nefarious agenda. The villain is particularly nasty and his ability to inflict physical as well as psychological damage ratchets up the tension and suspense.

Alongside cameo appearances by characters from previous installments (which is always a highlight), there are also some new and intriguing additions to the growing cast, but it is the adorable twin cubs, Kyle and Matt, who steal the show.

All in all, worth reading for the plot developments but the romance is one of the weaker in the series. The next book focuses on a different characters in a new shiftertown. I hope the series does not lose momentum by moving into unknown areas. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Finally escaping the capture of the fey, the hero and his girlfriend suddenly find themselves but within their control when the heroine accidentally activates a Fey spell. Now, neither can take even a sip of water else they crave more and more until they go mad as their thirst will never be quenched. I loved the fact the despite the hero was sort of the bad guy in the previous novels, the author kept him true to his personality. He’s very short tempered and at the drop of a hat will fly into rages and shouting matches but just as quickly, will laugh it off and go on with his life. Losing his mate to childbirth, the hero vows to never take another love. But, this doesn’t stop him from seeking companionship in the form of the heroine, a very human woman who suits his needs of an obedient girlfriend. They have no sex life other than a few kisses shared here and there and up until the dangers of the Fey and the threat of the men after the heroine come into the picture, this worked for them. But slowly, the heroine feels the desire for more and the hero much fight off the desire for the same. The heroine started off as a calm but never timid sort of girl and as the story goes on, she becomes more and more accretive in their relationship. They often got into shouting matches and passionate arguments throughout the story and the hero becomes more and more possessive of his fragile human woman. She regrets brings her troubles to the hero’s doorstep considering how much prejudice him and his pack already have to deal with but the hero instantly offers his help and that right there, shows that he’s not the bad guy. Sure he’s harsh, has zero tolerance for stupidity and fights the Alpha of the territory for control of the community; he’s really a good person and only wants the best for his people. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Read for Fun (Library)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.00

First Thought when Finished: Dang it! She made me love Graham. That is just how good Wild Wolf by Jennifer Ashley!

Overall Thoughts:Y'all she made me love Graham. I think that is mostly due to Misty and her ability to see through his bluster. Though as much as I loved the romance, the overall story is moving forward in a rapid pace with this book. I LOVED IT! We now have stuff happening and cute little cubs that are going to be a handful (I just see it) :)

My Status Updates and Highlights:

18%: "Graham is an ass! I have never really liked him so it will be interesting to see how she makes me come around to loving him. I have no doubt Jennifer will."

70%: "#Reading Love that she is making him work for the Mate Bond!"

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Review ( )
  thehistorychic | Mar 29, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Extremely sexy story filled with action and great characters. I wouldn’t say it was the most memorable story but it was certainly enjoyable!

Opening Sentence: Graham McNeil slammed his massive fist into the jaw of the attacking wolf just as his cell phone rang.

The Review:

Graham McNeil is the leader of his pack and recently they had to relocate to a new Shiftertown. His wolves haven’t taken the adjustment as well as he would have hoped and Graham will do anything to help stabilize things, even take a new mate. He has only mated once and things ended tragically, so Graham has treaded carefully when it comes to giving away his heart. For the last eight months he has been dating a human girl named Misty, which is fine for now but his pack expects him to mate with one of their own. But when Misty is kidnapped by a group looking for revenge, Graham will stop at nothing to save her. Soon he is pitted against an extremely dangerous enemy that could destroy not only him, but all of his kind.

Misty was a great heroine that I had fun getting to know. She was witty, smart and resourceful. I love it when a girl can hold her own against the villains and doesn’t have to rely on the male character to always save her. Misty doesn’t need a man to take care of her but she doesn’t refuse help if it’s offered either, which I really liked. I also liked that she wasn’t afraid of a challenge, she faced her problems head on and running away was never an option. She was a strong female character that was really easy to like and connect with.

Graham was a very sexy man that could be extremely frustrating, but somehow that just made him sexier. Being the leader of his pack is really stressful and you can tell that he was created for the job. He knows how to take charge and he’s not afraid of a fight. But he is also compassionate and cares about his pack. He is pretty hot-headed at times and loses his temper quite often, but he also knows when he needs to apologize, which is a really important trait a good leader needs. He was a great love interest that was easy to drool over!

I loved watching the relationship between Misty and Graham develop. They had red hot chemistry and lots of delicious sexual tension running between them. But they also really balanced each other out. Misty wouldn’t take Graham’s crap and she wasn’t afraid to stand up to him. But she also loved him for who he was and didn’t want him to change. I thought that they were adorable together and it was fun to read their story.

Wild Wolf was a very steamy paranormal romance that I flew right through. I don’t usually read adult books because I am more of a YA/NA fan, but when I got asked to read and review this I thought I would give it a try. I’m glad I did, it was a fun read that kept me entertained for a few hours. I’m not going to lie, this wasn’t a very memorable story and I’ll probably never read it again but I still enjoyed it. I loved that the characters were more mature and acted like adults. It was refreshing to be inside an older characters head for once. This is the sixth book in this series and I have not read the rest of the previous books, but this stood alone just fine. There were a few of the characters mannerisms and some of the things they talked about that did confuse me at times, but overall, I felt that this was just fine as a standalone. Overall, I think this was a fun read and I would recommend it to anyone that likes a fast paced, sexy paranormal romance story.

Notable Scene:

She lifted the spoon to her mouth. Graham’s gaze fixed on her even tighter. Misty moved her tongue out and licked up a dollop from her spoon.

A growl sounded in Graham’s throat, one so soft Misty knew only she could hear it. She took another lick of cream from the spoon. Graham sat so still he might have been carved into the chair, but his chest rose and fell sharply.

His face held the hardness of a man who’d survived on his strength alone for a long time, but Misty had always seen something in him besides the hardness. The tiny lines that feathered from the corners of his eyes, for example. He got them from laughing—Graham was a man not afraid to laugh. He could roar with it. Scars crisscrossed his cheekbones, and his nose had been broken, several times, he’d told her. His face was sunburned from their adventure today, but even that was healing, his skin settling into its usual liquid tan.

The sun-bronzing made his eyes stand out even more, the gray turning to silver as he watched her lick another bit of ice cream. She moved her tongue around the mound on the spoon and drew it back between her lips . . .

Graham snarled. With one flick of his big hand, he sent the ice cream bowl flying across the table to shatter on the floor.

FTC Advisory: Berkley/Penguin provided me with a copy of Wild Wolf. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Aug 5, 2014 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION’s Heavenly Hellspawn – Erika:
*Copy gifted in exchange for an honest review

After long living wild, Graham McNeil’s unruly pack that was forced in a Shiftertown with a variety of other shifter species. Adjusting is slow going (even 20 years later) and the pack is pressuring Graham to choose a mate and start his dynasty, convinced that doing so will solidify the pack and strengthen his leadership. However Graham’s not terribly eager to have pack politics force him into mating. Graham still battles the grief of having lost his first mate and cub, having been unable to process loss before being charged with raising his nephew after his sister died. Having to maintain control of the pack while facing such enormous loss forced Graham to cordon off his heart, and has also left him feeling a little burnt out. His only source of pleasure is his human girlfriend.

Misty Granger owns a small floral boutique, and lives a quiet ‘normal’ life. The only thing she does that could be considered reckless is dating a shifter, and not just any shifter, a pack Alpha. She knows that the thing between her and Graham is just for fun and will never be long term, and she knows it’s only a matter of time before he’s forced to pick and mate with another shifter, but when trouble literally busts into her life she has no one else to call to help her.

Graham races to her aid, only to discover that Misty isn’t the one in serious trouble—he is. Someone has big plans for Graham. Unsure of what evil stalks him Graham is forced to juggle Misty’s problems, leading a pack, ushering his nephew into adulthood and now raise two orphaned cubs while trying to fight off a spell and stay alive (and sane).

All of Jennifer Ashley’s Alphas are sexy enough to make our knees weak, and Mr. McNeil is no different! Graham is that perfect combination of confident, arrogant, abrasive and noble. Like the others, he lives and breathes by what is best for the pack… mostly. Misty, while unassuming sweet, is strong-willed, outspoken and honest… and she loves to talk. The two drive each other crazy in the best and worst of ways, making for great conflict and even better reconciliations.

Misty accepts that her and Graham are a temporary thing, but once she realizes Graham is in serious trouble she refuses to let Graham shut her out, even if they don’t end up together—which she isn’t sure she wants—she refuses to turn her back on him when he’s in trouble after her did so much for her when she was. Her naiveté causes problems--as it would anyone thrown into a culture they’ve had limited exposure to—but she is convinced she can help and determined to do what she can until Graham is out of danger.

One of the best things about this story was that the author had the characters stay true to themselves; there was no grand personality change that happened after the pair hooked up. Graham stayed Graham throughout the whole book; he was a rough, uncouth and aggressive guy that yelled far more than he talked—from beginning to end—even as circumstances changed and he started admitting that he had deeper feelings for Misty, even when things were great he was himself, unapologetically. Even so, Graham’s struggles with his nephew Dougal and the twins (while simultaneously bearing sole responsibility for the whole pack) are really endearing and show you just how much pressure and responsibility rests on his broad shoulders. But no matter how dire things looked he ‘sucked it up’ and did what he needed to do, for his pack and his family.

Another highlight was how Misty was portrayed sexually: she wasn’t a virgin, she wasn’t shy, she OWNED her sexuality and her desires, which was not only awesome and REALLY refreshing, but something that should start trending in Romance writing as a whole.

It was also really great to see dynamics changing in multiple relationships--not just between the hero & heroine - or between them and their family - but between all of the characters despite their prominence in the story. The character growth was throughout the cast, not just with the leading couple.

So even if you’ve never read the Shifters Unbound series, Wild Wolf is a must-read. Honestly. I have not been this happy or satisfied with a book in quite a while.

Thank you Jennifer Ashley! ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Jun 2, 2014 |
Thanks go to my husband,
without whose support my books would never get written,
or cats or humans fed. I couldn't do this without him.

Thanks also go to
my editor Kate, and my agent, Bob,
who help make these books the best they can be.

Finally, thanks go to the two Felines in my life,
the White Monster and his brother, the Natural Disaster,
for providing inspiration of the cub twins and their antics.
Graham McNeil slammed his massive fist into the jaw of the attaching wolf just as his cell phone rang.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425266044, Mass Market Paperback)

In the latest Shifters Unbound novel, a man has resigned himself to a life half lived. But a beautiful, courageous woman has him longing for something more…

Graham McNeil knows that his pack is unruly, but he’s not sure he can take the next step toward pack stability. After losing his first mate long ago, Graham has worked hard to keep his heart in check. Besides, even if he was inclined to choose a new mate, his girlfriend, Misty, is human—a fact that won’t sit well with Graham’s old-fashioned pack.

But Misty is going through a crisis of her own, one that brings danger and death to the pack. With the wolves doubly convinced that there needs to be a shake-up, Graham must now defend his leadership and save the woman he has grown to love—before Shiftertown is pulled into an all-out war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

When he is ensorcelled by a fae and his leadership of his wolf pack is threatened, lupine shifter Graham McNeil must defend his authority in order to save Misty Granger, the human woman he has grown to love, and foil a fae plot.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,900,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible