Kojiki by Keith Yatsuhashi

mom (206)

DNF at 293 pages

After slogging through over half the book, I couldn't bring myself to try to finish it. I was bored the entire time and I constantly felt like I was missing something in regards to these ancient gods and how they live and what the rules of their universe were. It almost feels like this is a sequel, except it clearly isn't. I didn't feel like things were being revealed to me in a way that suggested I would eventually understand everything, if that makes sense.

I was also bombarded with how everyone looked, especially two of the females. I get it, they're beautiful and the main character is intimidated by their beauty. I was constantly told about hairstyles and outfits and that's not something I need often - it feels like a very YA trope and it pisses me off. Like, don't talk about long lashes and pouty lips in the middle of a BATTLE SCENE.

And what even are Kami? I get they live...forever? Except they can be killed by each other. They all seem to be able to fly and have weird shields...that they fly in? Or do they just float? Are they giant? In scenes where they were fighting, it seemed like they'd be giant. They also have animal guardians which are sometimes described as really large, so that also made me think the Kami are giants. How to do they get by in modern times? Why do they even want to? They can talk to each other telepathically...in English? Japanese? I think they live in other worlds, but also live in our worlds? Like maybe one lives underwater? Their disciples can be humans...that are then...turned immortal? Except they can still be killed?

I seriously couldn't picture any of them or get an idea of what their powers/limitations were. Also one was named Lon-Shan and I kept reading it as Lo Pan (my love for Big Trouble is endless).

I tried to hang in there to see if I could at least find out what was going on, but not only did I not care about the slim-waisted, golden-haired, luscious-lipped gods and their wimpy human protege, but I didn't care about the plot either.

I'm disappointed that this book disappointed me because ancient Japanese gods feuding in modern times with dragons seems like it'd be right up my alley.
  MillieHennessy | May 1, 2017 |
I was so excited when I got the netgalley approval email for this one. I find Japanese culture and Mythology fascinating and love seeing it in YA books. However, rather disappointed to say this book was not for me. I barely made it 14%. I found it extremely confusing and far too much going on, it was impossible to remember who all the characters were and their powers and everything was all little too much.

So unfortuna rely, not going to be giving a full review as I couldn't finish the book. But thank you anyway Netgalley for the approval.
1 vote sunset_x_cocktail | Aug 20, 2014 |

When eighteen year old Keiko Yamada’s father dies unexpectedly, he leaves behind a one way ticket to Japan, an unintelligible death poem about powerful Japanese spirits and their gigantic, beast-like Guardians, and the cryptic words: “Go to Japan in my place. Find the Gate. My camera will show you the way.” Alone and afraid, Keiko travels to Tokyo, determined to fulfil her father’s dying wish. There, beneath glittering neon signs, her father’s death poem comes to life. Ancient spirits spring from the shadows. Chaos envelops the city, and as Keiko flees its burning streets, her guide, the beautiful Yui Akiko, makes a stunning confession – that she, Yui, is one of a handful of spirits left behind to defend the world against the most powerful among them: a once noble spirit now insane. Keiko must decide if she will honour her father’s heritage and take her rightful place among the gods… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,294,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible