Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery) by…

Box Office Poison (Linnet Ellery)

by Phillipa Bornikova

I picked this book up because I wanted to see where the author took the series. She took it to a fun place, somewhat frustrating, though, because that place is clearly in a series, with "answers" forthcoming, but not contained in the pages of this volume.

However the main character is still interesting. Her strengths are not in her brawn, but in her brain, though she seems to have developed some teflonicity that I fear will end up being magical or supernatural in origin. Her fighting skills are more in her ability to use that brain as a new, but promising to be kick-arse lawyer. Her passion outside of work is riding and dressage, which adds interest for me. Her relationships with her co-workers are evolving -- no black or white here as former arch-enemy is now a best friend. Still sorting out the supernaturals in this series: not your Sookie Stackhouse vamps, faries, and werewolves. (I can't believe I even wrote that in a review.)

But in the end, the burning question in my mind is, "what television series did Phillipa Bornikova work on?" ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 2, 2013 |
BOX OFFICE POISON follows Linnet and David to LA where they are to arbitrate over a case between human and Alfar actors. She ends up having to solve a mystery on the outskirts of the case without compromising her position as an impartial arbitrator while dodging killers while she is at it.

Linnet caught my eye in THIS CASE IS GONNA KILL ME. Starting off a tad boring she quickly had me wondering what could possibly happen to her next. She has a lucky streak when it comes to trouble. She dodges death many times. She seems to surpass everyone's expectations and catch the attention of power players at every turn. I thought I would be sad still that John was stuck in Fae. Linnet seems just as determined to get him out but she isn't consumed by the need. I ended up being OK with that. I really liked David. He is nothing like the other vampires and seems to genuinely care about what happens to Linnet on top of that. There is some chemistry there between the two and I am interested in seeing it explored more. Vento and his owner continue to be a mystery. They are turning out o be pretty big players in the storyline but I still have no clue what their true role is or who they might really be. I know for sure that they are both there to protect Linnet, I just don't know why.

I have had fun with both books in this series. The characters are interesting and I enjoy the legal parts of the plot. The action is always engaging to me. The humor keeps me laughing and there tends to be a lot of emotions throughout the story. I really like how each book has a main storyline that is wrapped up by the end of the book. No waiting to see a resolution or huge cliff hangers to have to ponder over. You are still left wanting to read the next book but you are satisfied. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Aug 15, 2013 |
This one is for George (Railroad), who said I might be pretty good at this screenwriting thing, encouraged me to try, introduced me to his agent, and guided my first tentative steps in Tinsel Town.  Thanks, George, I couldn't have written this book without your generosity and friendship.

What happens when exquisitely beautiful elves start getting all the roles in Hollywood? Human actors sue, that's what. In a desperate attempt to keep the squabbling inside the Screen Actors Guild from going public, the president of SAG forces the two sides into arbitration. Enter Linnet Ellery, a human lawyer working for a vampire law firm, to serve as arbitrator. Linnet discovers that there are sinister forces at work in Tinsel Town, determined to shatter the fragile peace between elves, vampires, werewolves, and humans. Someone has been coercing famous elven actors into committing sudden and terrible acts of violence against humans in a series of tragedies that could turn the tide of public opinion against all the supernatural Powers. During the course of her investigations, Linnet realizes that a puzzling secret surrounds her, and that a strange power has been affecting the very course of her life.

What happens when exquisitely beautiful elves start getting all the roles in Hollywood? Human actors sue, that’s what. In a desperate attempt to keep the squabbling inside the Screen Actors Guild from going public, the president of SAG forces the two sides into arbitration.

Enter Linnet Ellery, a human lawyer working for a vampire law firm, to serve as arbitrator. Linnet discovers that there are sinister forces at work in Tinsel Town determined to shatter the fragile peace between elves, vampires, werewolves, and humans. Someone has been coercing famous elven actors into committing sudden and terrible acts of violence against humans in a series of tragedies that could turn the tide of public opinion against all the supernatural Powers.

During the course of her investigations Linnet realizes that a puzzling secret surrounds her, and that a strange power has been affecting the very course of her life. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:42 -0400)

A fresh, original blend of urban fantasy, legal thriller, and workplace drama--with a heroine you won't soon forget.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible