Vampire World by Rich Douglas

Vampire World

by Rich Douglas

Smorgasbord (BJ3568)
    BJ3568: Another humorous supernatural novel focused on a young adult

I was given this book in exchange for an honest review.

The storyline flowed well and even with all the vampire stories out there it was a unique read. The characters are memorable. I read this book in one day because it was not only an easy read but it pulled you in and you didn't want to leave that world. ( )
  sportzmomof5 | Jul 16, 2014 |
This is a young adult novel. The writing style is a little rough, and the behavior of some of the characters is a little uneven. That said, I thought this was a well imagined world. The ideas in the descriptions of clothes and hair alone were really impressive. The book offers interesting characters and a reasonable story line. If you enjoyed Smorgasbord by J. Sohal, you'll like this one. ( )
  BJ3568 | Jul 11, 2014 |
While this novel did have some interesting ideas, it just completely failed to enthrall me. The mystery elements of the plot were too spread out, not really building to anything until the last couple of chapters, and were buried beneath too many superfluous plot threads that did not amount to anything in the end. Even the conspiracy, which could have made for an interesting story, did not really have any impact as we already knew what the twist would be (while her past is a mystery for Janice, we know what it is because it's right in the first chapter!)

Added to my frustration was the fact that the secondary cast were utterly unmemorable and the naming conventions of the novel lacked any kind of imagination - all foods are simply human foods preceded with the word 'blood' and all names are made up from a combination of the same six aggressive words (John FreeCut, Brett BloodCut, Senator BloodHunt etc.). Even Janice was just too vain and self-centred to be a likable heroine. Did she really need to tell us how beautiful she was with every breath? I lost all sympathy for her about the time that she spent 80% of her money on a purse.

All in all, I found the novel to be a bit of a convoluted mess. The author gave me this copy in exchange for a fair review, but unfortunately it really was not the novel for me. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
Marissa is a beautiful, popular, teen girl with a boyfriend on her way to party. Her and Rob, her boyfriend, pull over for a makeout session and get attacked by a vampire that has been on the loose. When she comes to, she is a vampire named Janice in an orphanage in a place called Vampire World. She has no memory of her prior life and so has to be taught everything to function in Vampire World. She gets adopted by a gentleman that has lost his wife and had no children. She adapts reasonably well to her new world of blood drinking when she starts getting clues from a mysterious stranger. The clues lead her to discover about her past life and a secret organization called TriFang.
I enjoyed the easy going writing of this author. The setup of the story did seem a bit slow going but once you had the characters and Vampire World background then it was easier to get into the story. I did like how the author gave us the background as Janice was learning it too. I got annoyed with Janice when she kept going out with a jerk to get information. All in all, I rather enjoyed the story the story by the end. ( )
  OtwellS | Jun 28, 2014 |
Such a surprising book. Incredibly original. Not what you expect when you read the summary. But all that in a good way. I've read many vampire themed books as they've been quite famous but this one has been definetly different. It mixes teenager plots and a scavenger hunt for the truth that got me glued to this book until the end. The characters are well developped and touching. Even if the main character is way too much self centered I think it might be a good thing since it differs from the too perfect usual ones. . I would recommend this book to all the people who wants to read a new kind of vampire themed book !! Very different, less centered on the romance/feelings of love of the characters even though it's a part of the book. Sometimes the writing wasn't so good but I didn't stop me to read it cause I liked the environment created and the story within. ( )
  noeliielights | Jun 14, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Rich Douglas's book Vampire World was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,568,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible