Take Me Home for Christmas by Brenda Novak

Take Me Home for Christmas

by Brenda Novak

7720156,384 (4.23)1

This Christmas I ventured to read some more contemporary novels, and here are some of my recommendations…

I don’t remember reading any of Ms. Novak’s Whiskey Creek novels but I just might track them down now.

First, it wasn’t easy liking Sophia DeBussi and at the start of this novel I even had issues with the hero of this piece Ted Dixon, but you know what? I warmed up to them as their story developed and in the end I ended up rooting for them to finally get all that ‘baggage’ they carried resolve and let the ‘cupid’ win the day.

There’s a lot happening in this novel and I hope you give it a try as a second chance in love is offered these high school sweethearts.

Brenda Novak can write a very realistic, passionate love stories with some complex characters and great plots and this book is no exception to that rule.

Melanie for b2b
Book provided by the publisher through NetGalley
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
I was so very fortunate to receive an advance copy of this book. From the previous tales of Whiskey Creek I was prepared to hate "mean girl" Sophia especially after she broke Ted's heart all those years ago. After reading Take Me Home for Christmas I am now a huge Sophia supporter!! This book, like all the others, is wonderfully written and the characters come to life!! You can't help but cheer for Sophia all the way through.

This is one book you will want on the very top of your to be read pile!! Recommended for everyone. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
*I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I had already read the previous book on this series, so I already knew some of its characters, namely the protagonist, Ted Dixon. His high-school sweetheart, Sophia DeBussi, left him in favour of someone rich and he never surpassed it. But now Sophia’s husband died while faking his own death and abandoned her and her daughter, leaving them completely penniless and ostracized by the people of town that lost everything they had invested with him.

However, Sophia feels free as she hadn’t felt since the time she dated Ted, since her husband was abusive and controlling and, if it hadn't been for the daughter she adores, Sophia would have wished she had never married him. With no resources nor friends, Sophia has to find a job to assure hers and her daughter’s survival, which doesn’t reveal to be an easy thing to achieve when one has no qualifications nor special talents, and is particularly hard when almost the entire town blames her for her husband's deceitfulness.

And that is when Eve Harmon steps up and “forces” Ted to offer Sophia the position of housekeeper at his house. Ted never forgot Sophia and is afraid the proximity will make him forget everything she’s done to him and drop him in her clutches once again. And he makes the mistake to start dating Eve...

But with proximity also comes the understanding of Sophia’s reasons and the knowledge of what went on in her marriage and of how she and her daughter are still suffering in consequence of her husband’s actions, even after his death. And, suddenly, nothing is more important to Ted than protecting them and helping them rebuild their lives, even if that means them leaving Whiskey Creek.

I really liked this story and its characters, especially Sophia, a woman battered by life and with huge problems to overcome but who can prove with her actions that she is not the same spoiled and selfish kid she was as an adolescent and that the image she portrayed didn't exactly represent the real Sophia. As for Ted, I was a little disappointed with him... I don’t care that he had good intentions, it is not ok to use a childhood friend like that. But I did like how protective he was of Sophia and her child.

I couldn't resist to read Eve’s story next... ( )
  landslide | Feb 18, 2015 |
I loved this book! I think it is a special delight of the Whiskey Creek Series but the story can definitely be enjoyed as a stand-alone title. In fact, I think the story is so special that I wish I could personally publicize the book as this year’s best novel to enjoy during the holiday season and a story so special that it can be enjoyed during any season of the year – not just at Christmas. It would be such fun to become one of Santa’s elves and add a copy of “Take Me Home for Christmas” to Christmas stockings around the world.

It is a timeless story of star-crossed lovers, Ted Dixon and Sophia DeBussi – a universal theme of many romance stories in fiction and in real life but only one author, Brenda Novak can tell a story that is this compelling with twists and turns not only for the star-crossed lovers but the entire cast of characters.

One of my sheer delights as a reviewer is to share that this romance novel may truly be enjoyed by women and men. Brenda Novak provides the reader with glimpses throughout the story of the feelings that Ted and Sophia have developed due to their shared past history and the influences of their personal experiences that has guided their steps as they meet again. The author is one of those unique writers who is able to give readers a glimpse from each main character’s perspective into the depth of thoughts and emotions shared by men and women as they try to go forward in a positive way and for some as they put the pieces of their lives back together after personal struggles.

My enchantment with this book is that it is not merely a romance title but a novel that has multi-dimensional layers and conveys many meaningful lessons all of which are so pertinent to today’s headlines: Spousal Abuse; Alcoholism; Bullying; The true meaning of friendship (both for children and adults) – giving, receiving, forgiving, trusting, loving; Mother-Daughter relationships; Intervention with a friend or parent; Grief after a parent’s death; and Developing a relationship with a teenager as a potential step-father. The special luxury for the reader is to understand as one finishes the last chapter that this was all accomplished without interruption to the storyline as the chapters flowed from one to another, the settings described so vividly that one’s imagination was rich with images, and each conversation so natural to life and fluid to the storyline and the path forward.

I was lucky enough to receive a pre-publication copy of this title from the author to read and review.

Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
Take Me Home For Christmas
Brenda Novak
★☆★☆★

OMG! Just when you thought this series couldn't get any better, Brenda Novak Throws the Rod and Hooks you with this installment.

I LOVE it. Its kinda like A romantic whiskey creek version of Ebenezer Scrooge and I Adore it. Of course Ted is The Scrooge towards Sophia. in this novel he has to reflect on the past present and future that all involves her. At the beginning of the series we Learn how Sophia broke off their relationship and married Skip. He was very angry and resentful towards her (who wouldnt be) and he didnt let up even 14yrs later. Well she went through the Major Crisis with what Skip did (cant give away too much) and he helped her ecen though he didnt want to. He learned of what her marriage was really like and saw how his resement and anger and non acceptance REALLY affected her. (I wont go into too much detail I def dont want to give too much away)

The one con in the book is Sophia NEVER explained to Ted why she left him for Skip and he never pressured for an answer. I kniw he asked once. I would have liked to know more of what drove her to him.

My favorite part about this book was the Build up in this novel. I like how the story was intense you got to really sympathize with Sophia. Novak didnt rush her into anything and didnt make her seem so needy. There was just a great balance in this book. I know im being super vague but I dont want to give up any spoilers!

All I can say is Brenda Novak you REALLY out did yourself I have to say of all the novels this one is my favorite! I def recommend :)

cant wait for Aaron and Preselys story ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778315460, Mass Market Paperback)

Christmas is a time for remembering…

Too bad not all memories are pleasant! Everyone in Whiskey Creek remembers Sophia DeBussi as the town's Mean Girl. Especially Ted Dixon, whose love she once scorned.

But Sophia has paid the price for her youthful transgressions. The man she did marry was rich and powerful but abusive. So when he goes missing, she secretly hopes he'll never come back—until she learns that he died running from an FBI probe of his investment firm. Not only has he left Sophia penniless, he's left her to face all the townspeople he cheated.…

Sophia is reduced to looking for any kind of work to pay the bills and support her daughter. With no other options, she becomes housekeeper for none other than Ted, now a successful suspense writer. He can't bring himself to turn his back on her, not at Christmas, but he refuses to get emotionally involved. He learned his lesson the last time.

Or will the season of love and forgiveness give them both another chance at happiness?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:18 -0400)

Sophia DeBussi, the 'mean girl' everyone remembers in Whiskey Creek has had some ill fate returned to her in the form of a corrupt and abusive husband. His recent death at the hands of the FBI has left her penniless and lonely. She takes a job as a housekeeper of an old flame, and although he refuses to get emotionally involved with her recent life drama, the Christmas season's approaching could lead to forgiveness and a second chance at happiness.… (more)

Brenda Novak is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,083,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible